Your opinions on a handle please?

Sorry if this is beginning to bore you guys but I am afraid you started it :icon_lol:

Just about finished another JEC custom handle for a forum member, just needs a final polish up before going in the post. He will know it's intended for him as he suggested the wee upgrade that I have included.

[attachment=5371]

Attachments

• JEC.jpg
    JEC.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 70
Been playing about with some different ideas today and I came up with the photo below. Excuse the quality, it was taken on my rather poor phone camera

[attachment=5460]

Attachments

• IMG-20120830-00080.jpg
    IMG-20120830-00080.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 61
Thanks guys, I have atatched a better photo below. The previous one done it no justice at all.

First up we have a trio just about completed with a final polish left to finish them off.

[attachment=5461]

Merkur

[attachment=5463]

Muhle

[attachment=5462]

Stahly (kindly loaned by dodgy)

[attachment=5464]

The two that are fixed onto the Merkur and Muhle heads are very similair to ones I have made before. The one on the Stahly was made out of solid brass today, and on a new toy that allows me to turn a round bar into a square, triangle, octagon etc. In fact just about amount of sides I like. Can be a bit time consiming but I think it was worth the effort and am really pleased with it. My next toy is going to be a ball turning tool, as suggested above some of these would be nice with a ball on the end. I have drawings somewhere for making my own one but it will be much quicker just to buy it, and at least I know it will work!!!

cheers

daz

Attachments

• trio.jpg
    trio.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 59
  • muhle.jpg
    muhle.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 41
  • merkur.jpg
    merkur.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 41
  • stahly.jpg
    stahly.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 55
The handle on that Stahly is beautiful but what metal/finish is it? Looks almost bronze like. How does a Stahly shave? And don't say with a blade......:rolleyes:

Gairdner said:
The handle on that Stahly is beautiful but what metal/finish is it? Looks almost bronze like. How does a Stahly shave? And don't say with a blade......:rolleyes:

The handle is solid brass and at present has been polished with a 1200 grit wet or dry. It looks nice the way it is, almost brushed. But I am planning on finishing it off with three different grades of wire wool next, that will get rid of all visible scratches and should make it REALLY shiny.

The Stahly shaves quite well and I find it really mild. It needs a sharp blade in it and I have been using feathers, definately an everyday razor or something for when time is tight and you want a really quick shave that you don't have to think about. I have had a problem getting the feathers seated correctly though and for the life of me can't figure out why. When the blade is seated right it leaves the face smooth enough with two passes and there is virtually no chance of cuts, it is one I would definately buy though.

cheers

daz

looking good....the proportions on the meuhle handle looks nice...i would prefer a more concave flute at the end where it attaches to head...and a tail end like the bottom one of the hex shaft

just getting better and better daz, they are really nice handles. You'll have to set up a website soon so we can browse and buy! I do like the bottom one in the photo best, can you pm me a price please.

I am thinking about doing a website, just trying to find a cheap place for hosting. Been a long time since I made a website, over 10 years in fact!!!
There wont be a huge range on it but it will let people see what can be done, and keep it off here a bit.

Lovely Daz. Does n1vlo mean more like like an EJ89 where it attaches to the head i.e a longer and more sweeping flute to the head?

Would a traditional (ok, not for razors) barley twist be possible? Such as this street lamp post:

barley_twist_4mm_station_lamps_1.jpg

That is what I'd call a 3 start barley twist or 3 strand rope effect. In solid, bright and shiny brass.

Back
Top Bottom