Your opinions on a handle please?

daz

I am in the process of making a handle for another forum member and wanted some opinions on it. I have had a few requests for different styles but I lacked the tooling, so not being one to give up I decided to make my own tooling from old tungsten carbide stuff that gets thrown out when it is blunt. I usually keep it all and then take it to the scrapman at the end of the year, but if I can grind it up and use it to make my own tooling then so much the better. You will hopefully notice from the pic that I have managed to get rid of the tool marks from the thin rings, it took a fair bit of experimantation but nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. The first few tools I have knocked up allow me to put concave shapes of differing width and radii onto the handle. This one is all aluminium, or at least it is on the outside! The centre has been drilled out to 13mm and a large lump of steel press fitted to add some serious weight. An end cap of aluminium (aluminum for you pesky Yanks) has then been press fitted in behind it to hide the rather large and gaping hole. Please remember that this is far from finished and still has a few hours of time left on it to complete. Comments/suggestions welcome.
Almost forgot to mention that this beast weighs 100grams, is 110mm in length and 16mm in diameter, a right chunky mofo

[attachment=5343]

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 203
I like it. It makes the head look a bit small and it would be too heavy for me personally but I can see the aesthetic appeal. Probably a lot easier to make than the design ideas I sent you anyway!

Bare/bear in mind the head is a £3.50 boots job, it would look much nicer on a decent head (I think), and the dimensions can easilly be scaled down to suit and weight reduced. It was more to get a guage of the general shape and look.
Cheers for your input tough, appreciated
RE your designs: I have a wee development on that front and will pm you shortly;)

daz

It looks good to me so far Daz, possibly another winner there, it would look better with a chunkier head your right. It's getting better each week with the development of new tools and styles!

I like it. Just need to tweak where the top of the handle joins the head and your on to a winner. Something like the ikon or weber classic style on the top bit would like nice.

Same handle but a couple of mods and some polishing. pretty much the same dimesions as before. Made the head end a bit longer so the handle doesn't seem to overwhelm the head quite as much but this shot doesnt really show it well.

[attachment=5351]

Attachments

• wfs-8-15-2012-8-31-35-PM-520.jpg
    wfs-8-15-2012-8-31-35-PM-520.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 80
daz said:
I am in the process of making a handle for another forum member and wanted some opinions on it.Comments/suggestions welcome.
Almost forgot to mention that this beast weighs 100grams

Hi daz,

Now this is just me, but I prefer a handle with less weight. I'm guessing somewhere between 60-75 grams or so would be about right when it comes to good balance with a head on top. I find very heavy handles can mean some technique tweaks are needed, and can also add more bite to the performance. It doesn't help things that in my case i prefer a more head heavy razor in general.

Anyway, something to think about,

Martin

Thanks Martin, all info is greatfully recieved. You guys have forgotten more than I know about shaving so I value your input. I kinda made a mistake, well not really a mistake as such. But what I should have done is weigh the two components before combining, something I have now remedied. I have tried the handle again tonight and for me it is on the edge weightwise. But it does feel nice in the hand though, it's nice and chunky and I find it easy to grip. I have broken my fingers and hands a few times playing rugby and gripping small handles is a pita, this one is easy for me to grip. If put in about 50% of the steel next time it should bring the weight down somewhere between 60 and 70 grams.
Would you like to place an order Sir Dodgy?:icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz:

daz

daz said:
Thanks Martin, all info is greatfully recieved. If put in about 50% of the steel next time it should bring the weight down somewhere between 60 and 70 grams.
Would you like to place an order Sir Dodgy?:icon_razz::icon_razz::icon_razz:

daz

Well there you go,

I try and offer a little help, and the next thing I know I'm getting pitched to buy a damn handle. I mean jeeez.

Heh, just kidding you. I like that enabling attitude in a member. Reminds me of me a little bit.

Most Gillette razors weigh between 50 and 70 grams. You can see how having a very heavy handle could change the balance and feel in general.

Too much of good thing can be too much sometimes, at least for me. Other people seem to sometimes like what I don't, which is to be expected.

Martin

Martin, you have given me so many laughs over the last few weeks that I will send you one for free, no need for payment!!! Well worth it imho:icon_razz::icon_razz:
Just tell me eaxactly how much you would like it to weigh and I will get down to work.

daz

daz said:
Martin, you have given me so many laughs over the last few weeks that I will send you one for free, no need for payment!!! Well worth it imho:icon_razz::icon_razz:
Just tell me eaxactly how much you would like it to weigh and I will get down to work.

daz

Well heck, you sorta caught me off guard there. Yeah, that wasn't something I was expecting.

I will gratefully accept your generous offer. I'm using a frankenrazor most days, and having a handle like yours would be a treat to pop on the Stahly head.

Matter of fact, I can have a member send you a head when he's done using it.....maybe a few weeks at most. See what you think might be a good design....probably in a long handle version. I can give you the weight and any other info through a private message.

Thanks very much for the impulsive bit of well intentioned craziness directed towards me,

Martin

Guess I should mention the chat room 'Comedy Club'. Tuesdays and Thursdays some of the members get together and do stand up comedy. routines. You wouldn't know it but Peter (Fido) talks a very blue streak.

First of all Martin, WTF is a Frankenrazor? or should I just google it? As for the craziness? Well I suppose I am a little, too many headnocks at a young age you see, but hey ho there you go. Thats why they dont let under 14 years play contact rugby anymore, aybe a good thing, mayba a bad, hoo nows???

I shall be int ouch shortly
dazjoemyles

hi daz, i have been looking at your serious handles with interest, do you think you can knock out some nice handles for members at a reasonable price? looks like some work has gone in to them. rick.

singerman said:
hi daz, i have been looking at your serious handles with interest, do you think you can knock out some nice handles for members at a reasonable price? looks like some work has gone in to them. rick.

I am doing exactly that at present Rick. Price really depends on material and time but I am not doing it for masses of profit so I don't really have a set price list etc.
If you have something in mind feel free to pm me with details.

cheers

daz

Back
Top Bottom