Your best DE razor

I think it is a tie between the Parker 24C and the Merkur 37c. Both give comfortable and efficient shaves. Since getting these my poor old DE89 has not got a look in. They offer the smoothness of the EJ but with a much closer shave.

From the first shave my Timeless OC (0.68) gave me smooth close shaves. It's my daily shaver as I don't need to take excessive care to avoid it biting!! It's well built and looks good - relegated my other razors to the cupboard for the moment!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad you said that Chris as I am awaiting mine..although it's the SB version. May I ask how aggressive is the OC (0.95MM) if I was going to pick up the OC too? Is it too harsh as a daily shaver?

I use it daily. It's a strange beast but in a good way, it's easily as efficient as a Fatip but it feels more gentle. I got mine on the BST because the seller found it too much but it probably depends on what you're used to, for me it seems to be perfect, it is quite aggressive but it's smooth with it and doesn't feel harsh at all.

I use it daily. It's a strange beast but in a good way, it's easily as efficient as a Fatip but it feels more gentle. I got mine on the BST because the seller found it too much but it probably depends on what you're used to, for me it seems to be perfect, it is quite aggressive but it's smooth with it and doesn't feel harsh at all.
Thanks Chris, much appreciated!

Been using the Merkur 37c for the last 18 months.

Got loads in the collection, but keep gravitating to this one.

My 37c has come back into play recently. I have been sticking with a Gillette Slim most of the time recently. I like the slim a lot, but the 37c is very hard to beat for closeness of shave. I am still looking smooth come early evening with the 37c.

That said, I have a Merkur Progress in the mail, so all things may change.

I always thought the EJ DE89 and Merkur 37C were basically the same shave. I've not tried the Merkur though, some high praise above is making me fancy giving one a go.

I always thought the EJ DE89 and Merkur 37C were basically the same shave. I've not tried the Merkur though, some high praise above is making me fancy giving one a go.
The 37c is a slant, so it's quite a different device.

A few years back, the 37c had a reputation for being a bit of a monster, which was ill deserved in the first place and seems to have died down in any case. It may not be a beginner's razor, but it was my second or third purchase and that was fine. Although, I am only about 10 months into DE shaving, and I have noticed that I now can steer the 37c with almost no nicks whereas a few months back it still could draw the odd bit of blood.

It's well worth a shot at the 37c. They come up second hand occasionally, and the reality is that if you don't like it, you'll be able to sell it for something very close to what you paid for it.

Back
Top Bottom