Your best DE razor

Thanks for the helpful hints guys.
I am thinking about another razor to complement my 34C.
Thought about the DE89 - but that is as mild as the 34C.

So the Hone Type 15, and the Rockwell 6S are my two choices.
I will decide on one, time to think now.

I've just bought one from a member on here. Beautiful razor. Only used it once so far but it looks as though the Braveheart is on its way out. I've never understood why some chaps have more than two razors (one for travelling). Surely you're going to get the best results from the one you know inside-out by using it every day?
I used a 1967 Gillette Super Speed daily for the better part of five years. Nowadays I tend to reach for a Cooper MonoBilt...But I still enjoy variety. Today's shave was with a Gillette blue tip, simply because I hadn't used it in about a year. :)

It gives a lovely shave, if you put a Feather in it.

I stopped trying to find what my best DE razor is. Basically the same razor can be amazing with one blade and a pig with another.
Take the Muhle R41 for example. A Perma Sharp or Gillette Silver Blue and the razor works amazingly for me. Same razor with a Derby blade and it's a really uncomfortable shave, a real pig if you ask me :) or take a Voskod blade, known for being smooth but put it in a ATT M2, R2 or S2 and I don't enjoy the shave at all. The same blade in the Merkur Progress or 34C and I get a lovely shave.

I try to rotate my razors as much as I can but the first priority is the beard growth I have on the day I'm picking a razor to shave with so for that reason the Merkur Progress get to see more action but I also love the R41with and Atlas handle, Merkur 34C, ATT S1, etc

As an everyday, Muhle R89 hands down. It's solid and super mild, perfect for maintaining a clean face or tidying round a beard. It might not be as satisfying as aggressive razors but for a go-to it's unbeatable to me and I have to be really clumsy to give myself any nicks. Shark Super Chrome are my go-to blades. A perfect balance of sharpness and longevity. I've never needed a different blade for the R89.

In a desert island situation I'd probably put an R41 head on it as the R89 clogs up quickly and isn't effective beyond heavy stubble.

Merkur 34c. I've tried a lot of razors and always keep coming back to this old favourite. Feels great in the hand, just the right weight and length, effortless shave and I can throw it round my face with almost carefree abandon. I love the two piece design as I find it simpler and quicker to clean post-shave. I couldn't care less about it being Zamak - it'll last a lifetime if looked after.

Merkur 34c. I've tried a lot of razors and always keep coming back to this old favourite. Feels great in the hand, just the right weight and length, effortless shave and I can throw it round my face with almost carefree abandon. I love the two piece design as I find it simpler and quicker to clean post-shave. I couldn't care less about it being Zamak - it'll last a lifetime if looked after.

Or if it doesn't, you go buy another one, and who cares? If you figure out cost per shaves, even if you had to buy one every few years, it is still a pretty cheap way to enjoy your shaves.

I think the Zamak "issue" is overrated.

Back
Top Bottom