Wickham Soap Testers

Fox said:
Rob Dery said:
Darron sent me samples of his hard soap v.2 in Sheridan and Rose scents which arrived yesterday. Because we've had visitors most of the week, I've just been having very quick shaves with a cartridge but this morning tested out the Sheridan sample. I thought I'd give this soap a real challenge and used my Junjie tech clone with a Laser blade. The soap lathered very nicely, not quite a Super Smooth but I don't need mountains of lather anyway. The lather was stable and very protective with a low-key but lovely fresh scent. The result was an absolute top shave in every way - easy, BBS, and no hint of irritation. Considering the razor and blade used, the soap performed impressively.

Nicely done, Darron. I'll be trying the rose soap tomorrow.
Hi Rob, glad you like it and thank you for the feedback, its mostly appreciated, thank you. I have never used Laser blades before so this one is a new one to me. May have to give them a go myself, thank you.

D. :D

Umm, they're good for a challenge, I suppose. If you happen to find yourself in a Wilko, you might want to buy a pack for a laugh and an appreciation of how different a really good blade is. Otherwise....

mulligano said:
No worries Darron! I caved and bought the last one today - to hell with the overdraft!

Thank you Micheal, I will include a little something extra. :)

LOL "balsa wood painted silver" that realy did make me laugh. I may pass on them then. :D

My samples of the new formulation hard soap arrived yesterday and I have now had two shaves with it. Scents are Sheridan's and English Rose. I have used the Rose only at this stage.

Executive Summary - An excellent soap, which, while not the equal of Super Smooth, should be very successful at a lower price point. This will appeal to those who want a good soap but choose not to pay the high price of SS and other Premium soaps.

Scent - English Rose is lovely. Mild on the dry soap but springing up in a lively but not agressive fashion when lathered. I like the Sheridans when dry, but haven't shaved with it yet.

Lather - Brush loading is quick and it builds to a good, creamy lather. It is not the equal of SS, spreading more thinly even if kept on the dry side.

Protection - Here is where this soap scores. Even though the lather is thinner when applied than some other products, it provides excellent protection. 'Blade feel' was reduced and no weepers!

Skin Care - Skin is nicely moisturised. Very good feel.

This is a winner and should be very successful at a lower cost then SS. I don't see it challenging the supremacy of SS amongst those who are willing to pay the extra. The two products are sufficiently differentiated to co-exist.

One final, minor point. Probably down to particular batch conditions but I don't think you could really term this a 'hard' soap. My own samples are very easily pressed into a container and this batch is MUCH softer then the previous formulation. It can be rolled between the fingers and molded easily. It's not something that matters in the least but might impact on how it should be described for marketing purposes.

globalm said:
One final, minor point. Probably down to particular batch conditions but I don't think you could really term this a 'hard' soap. My own samples are very easily pressed into a container and this batch is MUCH softer then the previous formulation. It can be rolled between the fingers and molded easily. It's not something that matters in the least but might impact on how it should be described for marketing purposes.

When I say hard I mean hard enough to be packaged in paper rather than needing a container. I also plan to press the saop proir to packing, the samples have not been pressed.

globalm said:
My samples of the new formulation hard soap arrived yesterday and I have now had two shaves with it. Scents are Sheridan's and English Rose. I have used the Rose only at this stage.

Executive Summary - An excellent soap, which, while not the equal of Super Smooth, should be very successful at a lower price point. This will appeal to those who want a good soap but choose not to pay the high price of SS and other Premium soaps.

Scent - English Rose is lovely. Mild on the dry soap but springing up in a lively but not agressive fashion when lathered. I like the Sheridans when dry, but haven't shaved with it yet.

Lather - Brush loading is quick and it builds to a good, creamy lather. It is not the equal of SS, spreading more thinly even if kept on the dry side.

Protection - Here is where this soap scores. Even though the lather is thinner when applied than some other products, it provides excellent protection. 'Blade feel' was reduced and no weepers!

Skin Care - Skin is nicely moisturised. Very good feel.

This is a winner and should be very successful at a lower cost then SS. I don't see it challenging the supremacy of SS amongst those who are willing to pay the extra. The two products are sufficiently differentiated to co-exist.

I also shaved with the rose soap this morning. Since Paul described my experience to a tee, I'll stop here.

I ordered some of the tins mentioned in this thread. For the money they are spot on. I've got a few spare ones lying around if you want me to send you one Darron so you can have a look?

Lb1 said:
I ordered some of the tins mentioned in this thread. For the money they are spot on. I've got a few spare ones lying around if you want me to send you one Darron so you can have a look?

Are they the 150ml? If so, yes please I would be very intrested. Thank you Liam. :)

just had my fourth shave with the v2 sherridans, I had to "get away" from the super smooth for a while actually fully comprehend just how good this hard is!
I had a wonderful shave tonight with a little dubl duck straight. the only thing i can say is that upon swiping with the razor the skin left behind the blade feels totally dry to the touch. there is no "after pass" glide to it at all. its fine for a few seconds to get that "touch up pass" but after that the skin feels dry - which for me actually helped out as i could have a swipe, a little repeat then happily stretch the skin without fingers slipping on the bit i just shaved - a very strange thing to encounter.

I know that might sound a little negative - but i have a great shave, skin feels pretty good afterwards (if a little drier than normal) which is not an issue as i use a balm or A/S every shave anyway.

I'm not sure if this write up helps at all Darron, but here it is none the less.

BraveBlades said:
I know that might sound a little negative - but i have a great shave, skin feels pretty good afterwards (if a little drier than normal) which is not an issue as i use a balm or A/S every shave anyway.

I'm not sure if this write up helps at all Darron, but here it is none the less.

Not all negative and it help tremendously as I am just making the last batch for the testers who have yet to try V.2. I have slightly tweaked it for a little aftershave protection. I have to go carefully here as there is a trade off for this adjustment.

Had a second batch of hard soap samples arrive today, thank you very much Fox.

I didn't particularly enjoy the first hard soap sample at all, however... I iust tried the English Rose... initial impression ->

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/zo-YVqV0v4Q[/video]

Good stuff, liked it a lot, seriously improved over v1.

Gotta go collect junior from footie, will post more thoughts later.

First go with the Sheridans tonight. Doesn't whip up as thick as I would like. I had the opposite to a previous reviewer in that it had slip but not much protection. I'm not sure if the scent irritated my skin a bit which is a shame as it smells nice. Face feeling a little raw at the moment. I know it's not positive feedback but hopefully something you may be able to tweak?

fly3k said:
First go with the Sheridans tonight. Doesn't whip up as thick as I would like. I had the opposite to a previous reviewer in that it had slip but not much protection. I'm not sure if the scent irritated my skin a bit which is a shame as it smells nice. Face feeling a little raw at the moment. I know it's not positive feedback but hopefully something you may be able to tweak?

Hi Steve obviously stop using it.

Was there a V.2 on the sample bag?

Do you get the same irritation with the English Rose sample that came with this one?

Just so I can rule it out, what was your razor and blade setup please?

Steve I am sorry for this and all though it's not possitive feedback, it's good that you reported this back to me striaght away. This is the reason for testing, so that I can make any nessary changes. Nishy experienced the same thing with the old Sheridan's formula which is why it was changed to this new scent.

fly3k said:
V2 arrived last week. I haven't tried the rose one. The razor was a new long comb and a Sputnik blade. Hope that helps.

Steve, I have the same blades and a short comb but will give them a go tomorrow with the same batch soap, to see if I can recreate what you experienced.

Can you please try the English Rose soap, just so I can pin point if it's the scent or soap that is irritating your skin.

It's also the reason for sending out two soaps so I can eliminate the scent or soap.

Thank you Steve.

Have used the English Rose for my last two shaves.

Very nice indeed. The scent is just right and I find the soap works very well on my skin (plenty of slip and cushion).

I shall definitely be purchasing some Wickham hard soap in the near future.

PS - Darron, have you thought about making an 'uber-menthol' soap like Vostok?

Back
Top Bottom