Wickham Soap Testers

Tall_Paul said:
Have used the English Rose for my last two shaves.

Very nice indeed. The scent is just right and I find the soap works very well on my skin (plenty of slip and cushion).

I shall definitely be purchasing some Wickham hard soap in the near future.

PS - Darron, have you thought about making an 'uber-menthol' soap like Vostok?

Fantastic idea

Rebec911 said:
Tall_Paul said:

Very nice indeed. The scent is just right and I find the soap works very well on my skin (plenty of slip and cushion).

Fantastic idea

Super Cool is on the agenda after all current projects have been put to bed. I have gone as far as to pencil a formula. One of the ingredients will be tricky to obtain but I think it will make all the difference. Menthol crystals are just to irritating on the eye's if levels are high so this ingredient will reduce the irritation whilst enhancing the coolness.

Watch this space as they say. :D

Fox said:
Super Cool is on the agenda after all current projects have been put to bed. I have gone as far as to pencil a formula. One of the ingredients will be tricky to obtain but I think it will make all the difference. Menthol crystals are just to irritating on the eye's if levels are high so this ingredient will reduce the irritation whilst enhancing the coolness.

In that case I will put off buying a puck of any other 'super menthol' soaps until you have one on the market!

Re: RE: Wickham Soap Testers

Fox said:
Rebec911 said:
Tall_Paul said:

Fantastic idea

Definitely looking forward to that one! :)

I used the Sheridan's 2.0 hard soap this evening and had no issues whatsoever with it.

The shave was consistent with the English Rose sample, the post shave was also very good and I had no irritation issues whatsoever.

So far I have found both 2.0 samples, Sheridan's & English Rose, to be very nice performers with great post shave skin care.

Samples arrived today, thank you Darron :) English rose hardsoap v2 and Dandyism v2. Rose smells as good as the ss rose. I think you've really pitched this one just right. Dandyism has a lovely patchouli scent on first sniff. Will be back with my views on performance once i've given them a try.

Scent wise, the English Rose is very nice. Much lighter and fresher than other Rose scents I own (Trumpers, Simpsons - which I find a bit overpowering).

The Sheridan's, which I am assuming was formerly known as Trade Spice, is really robust and by far the best lasting scent that I've tried in the Wickham range. Again, a very nice scent.

flip-68 said:
Samples arrived today, thank you Darron :) English rose hardsoap v2 and Dandyism v2. Rose smells as good as the ss rose. I think you've really pitched this one just right. Dandyism has a lovely patchouli scent on first sniff. Will be back with my views on performance once i've given them a try.

Haha I got you now, not Patchouli. :)

jb74 said:
Scent wise, the English Rose is very nice. Much lighter and fresher than other Rose scents I own (Trumpers, Simpsons - which I find a bit overpowering).

The Sheridan's, which I am assuming was formerly known as Trade Spice, is really robust and by far the best lasting scent that I've tried in the Wickham range. Again, a very nice scent.

Hi John no trade Spice is a different scent, if we go to round 3 wit this soap I will do another round of the Spice Trade for you. :)

Tried the Sheridan's v.2 this morning having used the Spice Trade v.1 on Sunday. No problems whipping up a nice dense lather using a small silvertip - palm lathered to start, then bowl lathered. Compared to the Spice Trade I found the scent really quite faint when lathered. No issues at all regarding glide or protection - a really nice close shave with a (mild) Lord L6 and a med prep - beating v.1 in this respect. Plenty of lather left over for a 3rd pass, although I stopped at my favoured 2. I like the soap; the Spice Trade has the better scent.

Humm.. initially I thought the Sheridans and Trade Spice had something very much in common, I've just gone back and just given the Sheridan's another whiff and it definitely has me confused now. Distant cousins maybe?

The post shave on the v2 hard soap was really, really good. The v1 had me begging for a splash of aftershave, but the v2 just leaves the skin feeling very smooth with no tingle.

Received a couple of v2 end of last week. Thought i'd use them a few times before i posted here.
I received Sheridans and rose.

I'll start with the Sheridans. This stuff lathered much better that the coconut soap i was sent. It wasn't crumbly either and pushed nicely into my bowl. The scent as others have mentioned, is very much like the spice trade. It isn't exact, but similar. The lather it gave was very creamy and had a nice sheen to it, which i always like. I found that like the super smooth you can throw plenty of water at it.
Very nice indeed.

Now the rose was pretty much the same, but the scent is not for me. I should point out that i'm not a fan of earthy type scents. This reminds me of the perfume my 8 year old daughter tries to make. Rose petals left to rot in water and it is an afront to my senses, lol

Excellent performance as ever.

Re: RE: Wickham Soap Testers

Dubster said:
Received a couple of v2 end of last week. Thought i'd use them a few times before i posted here.
I received Sheridans and rose.

I'll start with the Sheridans. This stuff lathered much better that the coconut soap i was sent. It wasn't crumbly either and pushed nicely into my bowl. The scent as others have mentioned, is very much like the spice trade. It isn't exact, but similar. The lather it gave was very creamy and had a nice sheen to it, which i always like. [NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B] I found that like the super smooth you can throw plenty of water at it.[\B]
Very nice indeed.

Now the rose was pretty much the same, but the scent is not for me. I should point out that i'm not a fan of earthy type scents. This reminds me of the perfume my 8 year old daughter tries to make. Rose petals left to rot in water and it is an afront to my senses, lol

Excellent performance as ever.

Fantastic news.
I felt the last one was killed by adding a bit too much water

Imperial Tonic

Thank you for the opportunity to try this one out, Darron.

The scent is curious - old fashioned, in a sense, yet sweet and child-like in another. Not quite the "tonic" I was thinking of, enjoying my Bombay Sapphire alongside, but a beguiling scent nevertheless.

With a decent sized piece muddled in hot water and bowl lathered, I couldn't quite whip up the thick, creamy lather I have before. More foamy and thin on the face. To make sure it wasn't technique, largely being a face latherer now, I tried my sample of Spice Trade in another bowl ... that whipped up into a thick and comfortable lather quite happily.

Proceeding with the shave, it was okay. With a straight, it seemed to play out alright.

Washed off, my face felt taut afterwards and oily. Loads of aftershave later, I kind of feel okay ... some Selin lemon cologne and I'm feeling a lot better. More dried out. It could well be personal preference. I could smell something I get after Mitchell's, which reminds me of old-fashioned soaps, but the post-shave feel was not what I like.

In a word, not enjoyed. Sorry.

pjgh said:
Imperial Tonic

Thank you for the opportunity to try this one out, Darron.

The scent is curious - old fashioned, in a sense, yet sweet and child-like in another. Not quite the "tonic" I was thinking of, enjoying my Bombay Sapphire alongside, but a beguiling scent nevertheless.

With a decent sized piece muddled in hot water and bowl lathered, I couldn't quite whip up the thick, creamy lather I have before. More foamy and thin on the face. To make sure it wasn't technique, largely being a face latherer now, I tried my sample of Spice Trade in another bowl ... that whipped up into a thick and comfortable lather quite happily.

Proceeding with the shave, it was okay. With a straight, it seemed to play out alright.

Washed off, my face felt taut afterwards and oily. Loads of aftershave later, I kind of feel okay ... some Selin lemon cologne and I'm feeling a lot better. More dried out. It could well be personal preference. I could smell something I get after Mitchell's, which reminds me of old-fashioned soaps, but the post-shave feel was not what I like.

In a word, not enjoyed. Sorry.
I have found that a little too much water can kill this soap, but unlike the Super Smooth it needs more. I find myself dipping just the end of the brush in the water from the sink and transfer to my mug for lathering. i do this a couple of times until it's there, I have found a boar to be better than a badger and it take a bit of dialling to work up a nice rich lather. I don't actually like this scent. I could do with more feedback on it please or I may drop it.

Thank you Paul for your valued feedback. :D

Back
Top Bottom