Which Cream would you go for?

In all honesty, I am thankful to have read few months back another tiny post of our Fido recommending Castle Forbes Lavender.
From the moment I got the CF Lavender my perception of shaving creams changed radically. You simply won't believe how good this stuff really is (jhclare is 100% correct.)
Now I am ready to order the Limes version and feel so spoiled after having tried such a product.

Artisan cream manufacturers: have tried none so far (Henk, Nanny, etc.)

Other very good (high to ultra high quality) recommendations: AoS Sandalwood, Acqua Di Parma, D.R. Harris, Musgo Real and (reportedly as I have not tried them yet) Santa Maria Novella and Domenico Caraceni amongst others.

Middle-of-the-road (means good but not dirt cheap for what they offer): ToBS St. James, Muehle Sea Buckthorn, Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad.

Budget recommendations (top value for $$$): Speick, Proraso, Omega, Old Spice Shulton Indian, etc.

Worth trying: Connaught.

IanM said:
Body shop Maca Root

I know it's been mentioned before but Body Shop will happily give you a free sample of this if you ask in-store. The bonus is that even if you don't like it (unlikely) the little container they give you is rather handy for sending out a PIF.

know it's been mentioned before but Body Shop will happily give you a free sample of this if you ask in-store. The bonus is that even if you don't like it (unlikely) the little container they give you is rather handy for sending out a PIF.

:lol: Glad I'm not the only one! I now browse shops looking for samples just so I can PIF stuff!!! :lol:

antdad said:
Summertime = Proraso

I'm thinking of another Summertime cream to buy and I can't make up my mind between this lot.

AoS Lemon Cream, Vulfix Sicilian Lime, T&H WI Limes.

So if anybody can shed some light on any of this lot I'd be grateful.

cheap and widely available ingram

Andsomebodyspoke said:
Might I suggest you consider buying a $4.00 tube of Yardley gold or a $4.00 tube of Kiss My Face and then compare it to a $34.00 container of Castle Forbes.

I've tried Kiss My Face lime and it's a very good cream which provides a really slick lather. Sadly I'm too cheap to have compared it to the Castle Forbes though.

What's the Yardley gold like?

BTW Welcome to TSR

Yellow Jim said:
Andsomebodyspoke said:
Might I suggest you consider buying a $4.00 tube of Yardley gold or a $4.00 tube of Kiss My Face and then compare it to a $34.00 container of Castle Forbes.

I've tried Kiss My Face lime and it's a very good cream which provides a really slick lather. Sadly I'm too cheap to have compared it to the Castle Forbes though.

What's the Yardley gold like?

BTW Welcome to TSR

Thanks Jim,

I find Yardley Gold to be very similar to KMF in nearly every aspect except moisturizing where to me KMF wins.
That isn't to say that it isn't very good, it is ! - It's just that KMF is exceptional and ranks right up there with MWF, Cella, P.160, Valobra, Castle Forbes etc. whereas Yardley is simply on a par with the three T's. and Harris.

The cushion and slickness, the speed with which the lather is produced is the same as KMF but the scent of the lather is just magnificent IMO. It is the Yardley Gold aftershave scent. Naturally opinion will differ wehen it comes to scent. I personally love it.

The ingredients are based around Aloe Vera and glycerin.
The price is around $5.00 U.S. delivered anywhere in the world.
The tube size is 70g.
A must try and depending on your water supplies pH it should prove to be one of the great bargains in shaving creams while ranking up there with many of the finest available.

Naturally the above rantings are just my opinion and YMMV.

Attachments

• Yardley Gold.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 61
beejay said:
Also recommend Body shop Macca root,, its great stuff.

+2 (or is it 3) on this and Body Shop original 'for men' cream.

I have tried a few ToBS and Trumpers and DR Harris Almond and the both Body Shop creams takes the prize for me. They both produce thicker and more lubricating lather than than anything else I've tried.

It seems that between us we have mentioned just about every cream. Just to bring the list a step closer to completion can I add Truefitt & Hill - particularly the Ultimate Comfort.

Fitjar Honey is delicious.

Henk's is great (sandalwood and tallow - two of my favourite things)

Fido said:
I hate reading these threads. I have enough stuff to last a lifetime and still there are more tempting suggestions here. Down, Fido. How am I going to walk past The Body Shop tomorrow?
We seem to have a similar problem, I have quite a stock of soaps and creams, and everytime I see something I go "Ooooh, that looks nice...." I saw the body shop one when I went there last time, but I had just bought the Avene cream (lovely stuff too), I thought it was quite expensive, what's the going price in the UK for the tub? If my memory serves me it was around 15 euros here.. Anyway, I'll refrain from buying it until you all tell me it's a "must have", and then I'll succomb to the temptation, I'm weak like that... :oops: :roll:

FB.

FB,

Couple of months back I was asking exactly the same thing as I had bought the Body Shop tub for around 17 Euros here.

One fellow TSR member came back instantly and said it is 8 pounds sterling in the UK - that is for the tub.

If you visit the UK or have someone who can send you a tub, get it - it's very very good, you won't regret it. It's too soft in texture, to the point of looking more like a fluid rather than a solid cream. The scent is different than most products out there and really nice. And it lathers like a dream.

Back
Top Bottom