What's the strangest food?

Canuck said:
My wife has had sea urchin sushi which she said was foul,

Does that mean it tasted like chicken?

I had Reindeer thinly sliced and barely cooked - very strong taste compared to other red meats and not something I'd try again.

Nothing that odd I'm afraid. I had sweet and sour frog's legs in Paris. I've had zebra. I did try civet coffee, which is partially digested by a small mammal and the beans collected from its droppings. That was quite nice. Chicken hearts were a bit chewy, but nice.
One of my colleagues talks about a French recipe which consists of a song bird drowned in armagnac.

Pigs head brawn, pigs trotters, winkles, liver (yuk, yuk and double yuk), kidneys (also yuk), tongue, snails, baby squid in batter, tripe, shark, sword fish (both the latter nice and meaty), alligator (New Orleans and those parts - nice, a bit like chicken I thought), piranha (so full of bones it's impossible to eat), white and black pudding, boiled nettles (taste like dark green cabbage). Probably the most discomfiting thing I've eaten is a sheep's face. I know it doesn't make sense, if you're going to eat animals then it shouldn't really make a difference what part, but I prefer my meat not to have a face......

In the early 1970s whilst in the Army,my unit did an exercise near Lake Jasper in Alberta Canada. Several of us were selected to do survival training. The scenario was have everything removed that might encourage you to cheat, give you an axe and some wire and say goodbye for the week.
Squirrel stew was a staple part of our diet, they are so easy to catch, dont taste of much but does turn boiled water into a slightly meaty soup.
One day we ran into a Beaver trapper called Billy Beaverbones, and he gave us the skinned carcass of a Beaver. We built a good fire and let the flames die down to grey embers and grilled this thing on a forked stick. The taste was slightly beefy with a definite fish tang, but when you are hungry everything tastes like grilled chicken. I dont think its popularity would get it on a gourmet menu.
With regard to an earlier post that mentioned chitterlings, they were very common in my boyhood in Bristol..... Thursdays only if I recall, lovely with malt vinegar and pepper. I am living in Japan at the moment and one local delicacy that I will avoid like the plague is Fugu, it is puffer fish,certain parts of which are deadly poison.

Miyamae-ku said:
In the early 1970s whilst in the Army,my unit did an exercise near Lake Jasper in Alberta Canada. Several of us were selected to do survival training. The scenario was have everything removed that might encourage you to cheat, give you an axe and some wire and say goodbye for the week.
Squirrel stew was a staple part of our diet, they are so easy to catch, dont taste of much but does turn boiled water into a slightly meaty soup.
One day we ran into a Beaver trapper called Billy Beaverbones, and he gave us the skinned carcass of a Beaver. We built a good fire and let the flames die down to grey embers and grilled this thing on a forked stick. The taste was slightly beefy with a definite fish tang, but when you are hungry everything tastes like grilled chicken. I dont think its popularity would get it on a gourmet menu.
With regard to an earlier post that mentioned chitterlings, they were very common in my boyhood in Bristol..... Thursdays only if I recall, lovely with malt vinegar and pepper. I am living in Japan at the moment and one local delicacy that I will avoid like the plague is Fugu, it is puffer fish,certain parts of which are deadly poison.

I love Beaver it's one of my very favourite meals I do agree it can taste a little fishy sometimes.:icon_biggrin:

... a few interesting bites in Iceland:

Amuse Bouche: Puffin Tartare
DSC04370.JPG

Minke Whale
DSC04574.JPG

Hross ... yes, Horse ... but it's not food fraud, it's supposed to be horse.
DSC04576.JPG

Having family in Kenya, we ate at a club called Carnivore in Nairobi, they had a game platter so tried a few:

crocodile- mix of fish (flavour) and meat (texture and slight flavour) lovely
buffalo- tough
zebra- tough steak
wilderbeast- chicken and steak mix hard texture
gazelle- lovely
hyena- steak

Back
Top Bottom