What's the strangest food?

What's the strangest food you've ever eaten, I'm pretty adventurous when it come to food though I haven't eaten anything that strange here's brief line up of some of the nosh, Ostrich, Nile Perch, Goose, Partridge, Duck, Snipe, Pheasant, Hare, Rabbit, what strange things have you eaten?

Jamie

Never eaten it - amazed anyone else can: whitebait.

Unknown-1.jpg

strangeist thing ive had is a kebab on a stick called cheifs choice

didnt like it so soon left restaurant

the sauce alone was nauseating

it at least had horse in it not sure about anything else.

that was what stepdad pointed out as he used to live in italy for a while

Horse is strange to Brits but it's a popular choice in lots of other places. It tastes pretty good too. I've eaten Moose and Elk but given that they're just "red meat" mammals and a big menu item in Canada I don't think they're that unusual.

I can't say I've had anything really odd. My wife has had sea urchin sushi which she said was foul, and she's had lamb brains which she did like.

Never had horse but have had ostrich and kangaroo. At least they said it was ostrich and kangaroo....

Oh and I love whitebait. Deep fried in a light batter it's top nosh for this furtive grocer. Fancy sharing a whitebait supper, Gladys?

Hiya,

Well, , most of y'all have probably eaten and enjoyed one of my favorite gourmet treats, but just in case someone hasn't tried it, I will mention the luscious pickled cow tongue. Yeah I know.....pretty tame stuff.

As most of you already know, the noble tongue is a flavorful yet delicate, mild tasting organ. The part with the taste buds has a different texture than the place it attaches to, and the taste isn't the same either. The front part is leaner, with the back end having more fat and is more tender. Of course I'm not telling you guys anything not already known.

Hot or cold, it's a taste treat.....yummy!!!! Makes for a great tableside presentation....

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 34
As a youngster Martin I had cold pressed tongue every week, plus stuffed Lambs hearts they are my favourites. But there's one thing I could never eat and that's tripe, and the reason why I kept working terriers for many years and fed them exclusively on tripe but this was before it was treated and bleached I picked it up directly from my local slaughter house, my god If I close my eyes and think back I can still smell it.

Jamie

dodgy said:
Hiya,

Well, , most of y'all have probably eaten and enjoyed one of my favorite gourmet treats, but just in case someone hasn't tried it, I will mention the luscious pickled cow tongue. Yeah I know.....pretty tame stuff.

As most of you already know, the noble tongue is a flavorful yet delicate, mild tasting organ. The part with the taste buds has a different texture than the place it attaches to, and the taste isn't the same either. The front part is leaner, with the back end having more fat and is more tender. Of course I'm not telling you guys anything not already known.

Hot or cold, it's a taste treat.....yummy!!!! Makes for a great tableside presentation....

It taste's better than it looks tongue...there is room for smut but I won't :s

John said:
Never eaten and never will...frogs legs or snail's

Me neither!

dodgy said:
Hiya,

No way, no how, pardner! We can buy tongue from the butcher or supermarket over here as you probably know but no chance am I putting that near my face pickled or otherwise.

I will also never knowingly eat: tripe, sweetbreads of any sort, any of the completely foul muck featured on, I am told, such programmes as Celebrity Jungle or whatever its name is. Yer can keep brains and eyeballs too but I would have go at freshly severed and cooked Bull testicles having seen it on Huge Furry Whittling Tool's show. Oh aye, melon, I ferking hate melon, arghhh. The fruit that smells and tastes of sick!

Had snails in a French restaurant in San Francisco they tasted earthy. Also my boss brought chilli roasted ants back from a holiday (cannot remember where) which were interesting, tasted of nothing really but it is the thought which turns your stomach.

barlines said:
Makes for a great tableside presentation....

...in what looks disturbingly like your lather bowl :huh:
[/quote]

Hah, you noticed that eh? Yep, it's my lather bowl all right, with a pig's tongue lounging in it. They look the same as a cow tongue does, except lots smaller. Only weigh maybe 8-10 ounces, so three per serving is about right. Taste very similar to the beef ones.

I'm already making these little guys for dinner and figured I could take a pic and no one would be the wiser. You have a good eye for detail.

California has a hummingbird tongue festival in the springtime. Now those are supposed to be very tasty. We have pigeon tongues available here in Chicago, but they are a little gamey.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom