Walking boots - which brands?

Glad to read this thread, I've been wearing a pair of Hi-Techs for the last two years and they've been OK but I need some new, better boots for the winter. I'm hoping to go fishing a fair bit through the colder months and will be looking for something waterproof but not too well insulated, I tend to get warm feet (it's a Nordic thing) so leather yes, but lots of lining, no.

Rev-O said:
Glad to read this thread, I've been wearing a pair of Hi-Techs for the last two years and they've been OK but I need some new, better boots for the winter. I'm hoping to go fishing a fair bit through the colder months and will be looking for something waterproof but not too well insulated, I tend to get warm feet (it's a Nordic thing) so leather yes, but lots of lining, no.

Ideal boot for you is the Nokia rubber half boot that is totally waterproof and designed for cold/wet Scandinavia.

I have these for work

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/the-peacekeeper-p1-original/

They are the best boots I've owned in 20 odd years of having to wear boots. Comfortable and more than fit for purpose.

If the walking boot range are anywhere near as good they will be winners.

Ta for the further info, brands I've never heard of that I've been looking into.

Here's a novice question for you: when a boot is described as 3 season, which three seasons is that?

Thanks for the mention of the blacks sale, I'll drop in there tomorrow for a looksee.

A three season boot can be used all year round but not extreme conditions.

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/Footwear-Season-Ratings-W167.aspx

I have had a pair of these for a while http://www.hi-tec.com/uk/altitude-v-i-waterproof-mens-hiking-boot-black-charcoal.html

They are great boots for the price. If you plan on carrying a heavy pack, doing overnighters then you should consider the boots mentioned already, Alt Bergs, Lowa, Soloman, Meindl, Andrews.

If your not carrying a heavy pack & not traipsing thru brush & scrub, then I agree with the Innov8tes, or running shoes. Give you good foot support & quick drying.

The best boots are the ones that fit you.

Just to mention after reading reviews from all the suggestions, I came to a halfway house decision where I'll buy some budget boots initially and if I'm still interested and not on crutches next spring, move up to one of the suggested decent brands and keep the cheapies for everyday wear.

Were it not for the recommendations here, I wouldn't have even considered Karrimor as I'd assumed they were total crap now. But the Bodmin III Weathertite is another of theirs that's earned a good reputation, e.g. Score of 4.3 out of 5 based on 438 Amazon reviews. They don't have the Vibram sole, but those that do are another £20+ so even if they wear quickly it's no big deal. Found them for a bargain £30 at M&M direct.

I needed something else to get the free delivery and saw they also have Berghaus Snowline gaiters for £15 which is a clear fiver cheaper than anywhere else.

It'll be interesting to see how long the boots remain watertight and whether they can survive what Yorkshire throws at them. Thanks for all the replies.

My first proper boots were Karrimor's and they never let me down - my son-in-law still wears them for work. I then bought a pair of Salomon's that leaked like a sieve, changed under warranty and the relacements ( GTX 4D) are brilliant. Hope you had a chance to try them on before you bought them.

Do we like Merrell? I'm tempted by a pair of Moab Rover Mid boots for general Winter wear? Either that or the Clark's walking boots.

Quite a while ago I bought a pair of Tecnica walking boots from Decathlon for shooting in winter. They were goretex with a vibram sole. At that time they were about £60
I still have them and they are super comfortable, never leaked, easy on & off, cleaned up with no effort and offered good grip.

I presume these are a more modern equivalent http://www.decathlon.co.uk/starcross-iv-mens-hiking-boots-brown-id_8208222.html

I think even at todays price they are an excellent value for money boot.

Speaking of Merrell, I bought these last year:
http://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/1673031/products/merrell_mens_wilderness_canyon_boots.aspx

Supremely comfortable, I use them daily when wet n nasty...

Amazed no-one has mentioned Meindl boots. Yes, they are expensive, but they do last forever, they are comfortable, and in the long run will work out cheaper per mile than almost anything else. However, having said that, boots are a very personal thing - what suits me may be horrible for someone else with a different foot shape or gait. You need to visit the shops and try 'em on, but it will always be Meindl for me.

The thread is over two years old so the OP is, hopefully, booted up.

But, for no particular reason, would add that I've just binned my Lowa Renegade GTX Mids. Darn things only lasted fifteen years! Tssk..can't get anything to last these days eh?

What cracking things the Renegades are. The soles still had a good bit of tread left and the uppers and linings were fine - it was just that the front of the soles started flapping in the breeze and didn't look like they would glue back...plus the fact that I have two more pairs of the same thing - bought because I was so in love with them I thought it rude not to have three pairs.

The Mrs. also has two or three pairs of the same thing.

However the aforementioned good lady had some foot problems recently and needs the widest boot she could find and got a pair of Meindl Meran GTX. Stonkingly comfortable straight out of the box (as are the Renegades).

I took a fancy to a pair meself and we now have matching Merans as well as Renegades. They're brushed finish out of the box (as are the Renegades) but I always treat them with G Wax and/or Woly Dubbin plus a spot of Hydrophane liquid straight away, thus rendering them more conventional in appearance...i.e. normal shiny leather finish. Easier to keep clean and the water runs off better and remain breathable too. (I've been doing this for the last twenty odd years - so the proof of the pudding etc....)

Back
Top Bottom