Walking boots - which brands?

I remember there being a lot of boot knowledge at TSR which I'd appreciate tapping into. Could you suggest which brands of boots are best to consider for general hill- and hard surface walking, please? I can then sort the wheat from the chaff on the Bay of Possibilities. Many thanks.

I've pretty much owned and worn many of the top brands my current pair are the best by a long way Salomon Quest 4D GTX.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/quest-4d-gtx-p150261?gclid=CLD8ofmTuMECFY_ItAod2E4Ang

i 'was' a fan of cheap Karrimor boots.
I am sure I have written this on here before, but briefly I bought some sub £20 boots for dog walking. Lost all waterproofing after a about 4 or 5 months. Completely worn the soles flat. But wonderfully comfortable. Still wear them now when no chance of puddles.
I then got a better pair, KSB model with Vibram sole. These 'were' fantastic. Vibram sole is far superiour, not a single sign of wear. Still waterproof even in standing water.
But last week they started to creak. The nubuck type leather part around the back of the heel has parted company from the inner support. So not visible damage, and still waterproof, but I can hear and feel the inner and outer moving, so I am sure its only a few months before they fail. The RRP on these was about £70 isg IIRC, but I only paid I think £25.

I also have a pair of Meindl army desert boots. Totally different type of boot, totally different feel and as they are desert boots, not ideal for autumn or winter use.

I am now going to admit that the what everyone says about cheaper boots is correct. I will be getting another pair of good high quality boots when these Karrimor KSBs fail. I Don't mind another set of Karrimors but I will only consider Vibram sole and now I will look out for solid leather outers.
Or get a set of army boots, such as the Alt-bergs already mentioned.

If I had the money I'd probably get a pair of Brashers however my main walking boots of the last few years have been a pair of Merrell Yokota mid-ankle boots which cost me about £70 I think.

I've used them for road/path/off track walking and have taken part in 2 Caledonian Challenge's in the same pair.

I would gladly slpit with cash for the same boot again.

Thanks for the suggestions, you can't beat personal recommendation. That Altberg site is an interesting read about how they make the 'last' for the foot shape etc. They look top quality but more than I can justify so will either look out for nearly new ones or try one of the cheaper brands mentioned.

Used to love Salomon. Seems their last has narrowed a touch over the last 5 or so years, as well as my foot splaying more. Also have used Inov8 kit a lot. Love them. But, no ankle support, so fine for paths and low level stuff. For anything more taxing I choose Asolo, dead comfy and quite strong, or Scarpa, top of the tree for me. Wide range of styles, materials and prices, also come in2 width fittings. Love them, keep going back to them.

I love Salomon boots, best boots I ever had, then the dog decided to eat them. Karrimoor are rubbish now, the quality has gone now they are part of Sports Direct, shame as they used to be excellent.
I have some Berghaus boots now which are OK but they keep cutting through the laces. I still have my heavy duty Berghaus Kang which are fantastic but they only get in airing in the winter when I may need to put crampons on.

Back
Top Bottom