Walking boots - which brands?

The thread is over two years old so the OP is, hopefully, booted up.

But, for no particular reason, would add that I've just binned my Lowa Renegade GTX Mids. Darn things only lasted fifteen years! Tssk..can't get anything to last these days eh?

What cracking things the Renegades are. The soles still had a good bit of tread left and the uppers and linings were fine - it was just that the front of the soles started flapping in the breeze and didn't look like they would glue back...plus the fact that I have two more pairs of the same thing - bought because I was so in love with them I thought it rude not to have three pairs.

The Mrs. also has two or three pairs of the same thing.

However the aforementioned good lady had some foot problems recently and needs the widest boot she could find and got a pair of Meindl Meran GTX. Stonkingly comfortable straight out of the box (as are the Renegades).

I took a fancy to a pair meself and we now have matching Merans as well as Renegades. They're brushed finish out of the box (as are the Renegades) but I always treat them with G Wax and/or Woly Dubbin plus a spot of Hydrophane liquid straight away, thus rendering them more conventional in appearance...i.e. normal shiny leather finish. Easier to keep clean and the water runs off better and remain breathable too. (I've been doing this for the last twenty odd years - so the proof of the pudding etc....)
Where have you been Stan! Good to see you back :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I was abducted on the way to Lidls a fortnight ago, Nish. Bloody Martians. And these things always come at the wrong time, don't they?...I had some library books due for return and so there's a fine to pay now.

Pleasant enough up there...a convenient spot just on the outskirts of the Milky Way with some excellent views, but the food was crap and there's nowhere to buy anything.

I had a word in the Head Alien's ear ..... well actually he didn't have ears as such but you know what I mean..and he pulled a few strings and they dropped me off in Barnstaple three days ago. BARNSTAPLE for goodness sake! That's an hours drive! Anyway I got a lift back on a 'My Hermes' van so all's well that ends well.

I was abducted on the way to Lidls a fortnight ago, Nish. Bloody Martians. And these things always come at the wrong time, don't they?...I had some library books due for return and so there's a fine to pay now.

Pleasant enough up there...a convenient spot just on the outskirts of the Milky Way with some excellent views, but the food was crap and there's nowhere to buy anything.

I had a word in the Head Alien's ear ..... well actually he didn't have ears as such but you know what I mean..and he pulled a few strings and they dropped me off in Barnstaple three days ago. BARNSTAPLE for goodness sake! That's an hours drive! Anyway I got a lift back on a 'My Hermes' van so all's well that ends well.
I hope you spread the word of wet shaving to the E.Ts I am guessing you brought me back some of the moon rock to create a handle from ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It turns out that medieval folklore was right all the time...it's made of green cheese. I honestly don't think Bernd is going to welcome the prospect of turning blanks made of fatty dairy produce.

Salomons for me, as they match my feet perfectly with their sizing.
That said, never ever skimp on footwear, and try on as much as you can until you find what you like...

(yes, I am replying to a necro'd thread)

Apparently, British feet are the widest in Europe ( something to do with the fact that we had better fitting shoes as kids & therefore our feet grew wider ) & Scarpa use a British last for some of their boots. My Rangers were perfect straight out of the box years ago & will last forever, I reckon. However, if money was no object & I was heading Stateside, i'd be after a pair of Danner's. A good friend of mine who is ex-2 Para & fought in the Falklands swears his pair saved his feet.

I remember there being a lot of boot knowledge at TSR which I'd appreciate tapping into. Could you suggest which brands of boots are best to consider for general hill- and hard surface walking, please? I can then sort the wheat from the chaff on the Bay of Possibilities. Many thanks.
Get some current issue German para boots.I won't wear any other footwear.I walk long distance & swear by them.

Back
Top Bottom