UK meteorology

Apologies for the lack of posts - I had a bad end to the week and a busy but enjoyable day yesterday, with work to be done today, however, I'm now catching-up with the model discussion. I intend to post another 'lesson' later this week - please PM me if you need more time to re-read/catch-up first.

Last edited:
New Netweather blog, discussing a cold and, for some, snowy end to the week, with slightly milder conditions returning next week. There appears to be no clear indication of a return to zonal Atlantic conditions, and, as the Netweather forecaster discusses, some of the global patterns and oscillations suggest a possibility of a wintry end to the month.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=7952;sess=

Minions yet !
Back on topic, thus far the forecasts have been pretty much on the ball Chris, so I'll hold off on the weather rock meantime.

JohnnyO. o/
There may be an amendment to the blog link, chaps. I've just got back and the wave 2 forcing on the vortex has been delayed - I've now got to check through the latest in the new Netweather "In Depth" model discussion.

EDIT: It appears that the MJO, which I mentioned previously) is set to head into phase 1 from Tuesday onwards, as opposed to remaining in phase 8. This, apparently, means that we are likely to see similar conditions to those we had in November once this cold spell finishes; a European ridge will influence the south-east, with largely settled conditions there includsing possible light frosts. Further north and west there may well be more of a south-westerly flow, which would usualy be expected to be quite unsettled, however, the jet stream is weak at present and there seems little indication of lows swinging-in with significant wind and rain until late next week (circa. 17th onwards) if at all. What appears to be happening is that, rather than the wave 1 forcing dividing nthe polar vortex, it and the stratospheric warming are going to shift it from central Canada to Siberia - as it passes to our north it flattens the highly amplified Scandinavian longwave ridge to form a European ridge (centred much further south and a touch further west), thereby changing our expected weather.

Beyond this, there are signs that an early final warming of the vortex (which happens each spring, usually during March and April as the Northern Hemisphere warms) and a wave 2 forcing may take place at the end of Febuary, perhaps after the vortex shifts to Greenland or Canada. There is a strong chance that these two events may lead to a final cold spell for the UK in late February/early March, with winds broadly from the north or north-east; this is obviously pretty speculative and subject to change. For the next few days, I advise checking BBC forecasts/the Met Office site/Met Office Youtube channel for detail as to how the cold spell is likely to affect your area.

Finally, I'm intending to post a 'lesson' tomorrow.

Last edited:
At present, the cold spell is easing, with the upper flow veering (clockwise turn) towards a southerly. Later this week, as a shallow ridge develops to our south and south-west, thewinds will continue to veer to around a west-northwesterly, with drier and warmer conditions further south, and more in the way of wind and rain further north as weak lows move across the top of the weak ridge.

Just thought I'd quote a knowledgeable member from the wonderful in-depth model discussion thread on Netweather regarding his "take" on the next few weeks, based on the main operation models (plus the Canadian GEM model):

To recap, an initially benign start to the three weeks before a slow but gradual transition to colder, more unsettled conditions by the end of next week and the hint early into March of a possible change to something more wintry. To be emphasised though, very early days and huge numbers of hoops to jump through. The chances of those in Scotland seeing snow before month end look good (especially to elevation) while rain and strong winds become more of a feature in the forecasts from this time next week.

Back
Top Bottom