UK meteorology

"...rather mild, dull, damp... occasionally breezy and all rather uninspiring." The usual then? I think it's part of the English fascination with weather, we're desperate for anything other than the above that we make the most of it when it happens.

"...rather mild, dull, damp... occasionally breezy and all rather uninspiring." The usual then? I think it's part of the English fascination with weather, we're desperate for anything other than the above that we make the most of it when it happens.

I think you've explained the increased activity in the model discussion thread during the winter months very succinctly there, Count.

Ah yes, the wee, sleekit timorous beastie wi' the cantilevered leg action on alternate strides. At the moment we're about 2 degrees C with heavy driving showers varying between rain and sleet. I'm starting to believe Chris has been playing with the weather knobs just to get me back on topic !

JohnnyO. o/

With the cold now all but gone, having receded eastwards as the jet stream gets going, the next week or so is likely to be unsettled, with rain for all and the potential for some stormy conditions later next week as a deep low swings in on a zonal jet. I would expect the worst to be over the western half of the UK, but, with the jet sitting further south than last winter, it may weel be the south-west and Wales that get the worst of it. Indeed, it's possible that the far North of Scotland may see some wintry weather if the lows are sufficiently far south for them to be within the cold air advection area (see most recent lesson).

It's worth mentioning that the MJO, which stands for Madden-Julian Oscillation (now you know why it's usually abbreviated) is currently quite weak, as is the GWO, hence there's not much in the way of energy into what's sometimes called "forcing", which is essentially a mechanism by which longwave ridges are pushed northwards into the polar vortex, disrupting it and tending to shift the longwave pattern either to the west or east while, at the same time, weakening the vortex, thereby slowing the jet and encouraging it to become more meridional. There are preliminary indications that the MJO may increase in strength during February, and, possibly, shift into a phase which encourages northerly or easterly flows for the UK.

In conjunction with this, the stratospheric vortex appears to be undergoing a warming. When the stratospheric vortex warms, the windspeed drops, and this slowing of the upper stratospheric jet filters down to the tropospheric vortex (the one we normally refer to), slowing it and increasing the chances of forcing mechanisms (such as the MJO) affecting it, either shifting its core position across the Pole, or dividing it in two. This often dramatically changes the weather pattern in the mid-high latitudes, and, if preceded by a spell of zonal, mild Atlantic weather over the UK and western Europe can plunge us into colder weather. If this happens, and it is a huge IF), it could signal a cold spell during the second half of February.

In the shorter term, though, the situation outlined in my previous post remains the case.

Last edited:
Stratosphere modelling (which is usually accurate further out from the present than the normal models) suggest a wave 2 forcing on the stratospheric vortex. I mentioned wave 1 and wave 2 in a previous 'lesson' in relation to the tropospheric longwave pattern; the same in terms of waves 1 and 2 (though not the higher wave numbers) applies to the stratosphere. At present, the models are showing a possible divide in the stratospheric votex due to a wave 2 forcing, in which longwave ridges in the Altantic and Pacific oceans meet over the Pole. This is still around a fortnight hence, and is subject to change, however, it appears that some forcing will take place. What effect it has on the tropospheric vortex is, as yet a matter for speculation, however, it could lead to a cold second half of February. In the shorter range, next weekend is a concern for heavy rain and high winds; this is something to be aware of, and I intend to follow developments during the week and post in here as things become clearer.

I noticed the BBC has stopped it's long term forecasting after a disastrous summer prediction of BBQ weather (last year?) and it was cold and pissing down for months. Already hearing the chatter that's it's going to be sub zero again after the "forecasters" (headline makers) have knowingly taken the one model outcome from the dozens the supercomputer generates, therefore expect it to be the average temperature it usually is in Winter.

No "" IT'S GOING TO BE FREEZING, SUB ZERO AND POLAR"" (in the outer herbrides) where nobody lives.

I noticed the BBC has stopped it's long term forecasting after a disastrous summer prediction of BBQ weather (last year?) and it was cold and pissing down for months. Already hearing the chatter that's it's going to be sub zero again after the "forecasters" (headline makers) have knowingly taken the one model outcome from the dozens the supercomputer generates, therefore expect it to be the average temperature it usually is in Winter.

No "" IT'S GOING TO BE FREEZING, SUB ZERO AND POLAR"" (in the outer herbrides) where nobody lives.

Thanks for expressing your utter contempt for an entire branch of science, Tony. How are your seaweed forecasts going?:p

Back
Top Bottom