UK meteorology

Apologies for my lack of posts this week; I've had a nasty cold and haven't felt sufficiently clear-headed until today to attempt anything beyond a brief comment. If all goes well, I'm intending to post my next 'lesson' on Monday, which will be on the Norwegian Model of cyclogenesis - formation of fronts within a low pressure system.

As for the computer models, it seems that there will be a warm-up from later today (in the west and north-west), spreading east during tomorrow, accompanied by a fair bit of rain. It won't last for long in the east or in the central UK, though, as, by Tuesday, the weakened fronts will be retrogressing (moving against the usual zonal flow - in other words east to west rather than west to east), which will reintroduce chillier but largely dry weather, with variable cloud amounts and moderate overnight frosts. JohnnyO and others in the north-west of the UK may well stay wetter and milder, though, as the anticyclone that has brought us the cold spell seems likely to position itself over the south and east of the country next week, allowing weak fronts to head up the western fringes from the south-west, before they roll over the top of the high and drift away to the east.

Beyond next weekend, there's a significant degree of uncertainty. Until this morning, mild south-westerlies or a slack area of high pressure over the UK seemed the most probable eventualities; however, there is now a tentative signal for a possibility of something colder from the north, given that the Atlantic is very quiet at present, with a weak polar front jet resulting from a flabby polar vortex. What's causing the uincertainty is that the only sizeable 'lobe' of the vortex is heading from west to east to our north over the next few days, shifting from the central parts of Canada to Siberia. Short-medium range deterministic models always struggle with the effects of such pattern changes on small areas of the northern hemisphere in the mid-high latitudes, and this case seems to be no exception.

N.B. - following valuable feedback, I've modified Monday's lesson (it was pretty lousy due to me attempting to make sense while still suffering from a heavy cold - no wonder it was confusing!) If requested, I'll write a shorter, simpler version of it, though I'll re-use the diagrams as they're handy for helping to visualise things which aren't easily explicable (I'd never have understood this stuff a few years ago had it not been for retired professional meteorologists and knowledgeable enthusiasts posting home-made diagrams like these).

Regarding the model outputs, there is still a fair degree of uncertainty. It appears that the dry, cold conditions in the south-east may linger until around midweek, however, mild, unsettled and possibly very windy conditions will become the main weather type by next weekend, and this set-up may last for much of the rest of the winter, though it's equally possible that a return to a UK-based anticyclone as we've had for the last few days may well occur after a few days of wet and windy conditions. Although I'm not going to call "winter over" with regard to snowy weather away from the Highlands, it does appear that there won't be any, unless a rapid warming of the polar stratosphere (something I may explain to the best of my very limited understanding at some point) happens in the next fortnight.

As an addendum to my explanatory posts on basic meteorological theory, I thought I'd post the following from a Netweather member who is a professional commercial meteorologist. His comment was a reply to as poster who asked why her area (West Midlands) had low cloud and drizzle despite the barometric pressure on her barometer being 1027hPa:

Anticyclonic gloom is very common on these shores. High pressure can bring sunny conditions, but the nature of high pressure means that any cloud that does form can become very stubborn. Areas of high pressure are dominated by descending (or "subsiding") air that can act as a sort of lid on the lowest part of the atmosphere, with temperature inversions (where the temperature actually increases with height) reinforcing this.

In the winter, this cloud can often be because of moist air being dragged in off the North Sea or the Atlantic at lower levels. This forms gloomy stratus and often drizzle (or if it's cold enough, snow flurries). The "lid" of the high pressure will prevent this cloud from growing any further, and the weak sunshine at this time of year simply means it's very difficult to disperse, and essentially traps the cloud. This is also the reason why air pollution tends to be more of a problem in high pressure situations, the stagnant, stable air means that it can't really disperse anywhere.

I thought this might be of interest, as it's relevant to what I've posted and explains the phenomenon of anticyclonic gloom better than I could!

Last edited:
-2°C at the Chateau this morning and it proper felt it as well. "Possibly very windy" isn't floating my boat I'm afraid so can I order some different weather please?

It'll be milder, if that's any consolation, or at least it should be, though there's probably going to be some rain with it.

Further to the above comment from this afternoon, some selected quotes from a model forum post on Netweather by one of the more knowledgeable and authoritative members:

...risk of a SW feed oncoming running up against the block in week 2 of his 3 week prediction...

GLOSEA is clearly not seeing any great resurgence in the pacific signal, hence the mild first part of February forecast prior to any impact of a strat warming that seems on one moment and off the next. If the MJO has indeed stalled and declined once again - a rather potent symbol of this winter so far - then without the amplification upstream we look set for a spell of atlantic driven weather... though the season as it has gone so far suggests to me that the atlantic will rarely be in overdrive. End product - rather mild, dull, damp... occasionally breezy and all rather uninspiring.

In the context, SW = south-westerly, MJO is a global pattern of storm systems over the tropical Pacific and Indian oceans, GLOSEA is a long range in-house Met Office probabalistic computer model, and strat warming refers to a sudden warming of the stratosphere which can have the effect of slowing the jet and causing it to become more meridional (meandering rather than straight).

Back
Top Bottom