UK meteorology

We are a patient and enduring people, us Picts Chris. And it's interesting translating your potential outlines into our weather actualities.

JohnnyO. o/
Actually, Johnny, your comment provides me with a reminder to provide advanced warning of a possible deep Atlantic low next Thursday, which appears at present to cross the Hebrides and far north of Scotland - with the strongest winds in such systems usually on the southern flank, it could mean that the Central Belt and Highlands may well get some strong winds and heavy rain, however, this is subject to change. Very mild in the south on Monday and Tuesday, though - 17C is possible, with lower teens further north.

Last edited:
Looking pretty springy at Chateaux Undolpho

y3m97RHoVvp4F_sP7vcET0dHXRjPE1WekEKtJAxlClwGxjrtYDDw-kU5E1wvaeHUaud2EM_QH-siPuD5OViEW0l5XNCj7qXfjDAOruf1xCD5v-tJWkt9BahV7RQhl64XkDMHMoCV4RSOq95JrlejXly5pafkEHzO1qxr6xDv5_wC4Q

The hedge in the background now has a drift of Snowdrops in front of it.
My brother is an apiarist and when I saw him at the weekend was telling me about his bees being out and about and collecting pollen, he was surprised as there appeared to be a fair few recent hatchlings amongst them.

Looking pretty springy at Chateaux Undolpho

y3m97RHoVvp4F_sP7vcET0dHXRjPE1WekEKtJAxlClwGxjrtYDDw-kU5E1wvaeHUaud2EM_QH-siPuD5OViEW0l5XNCj7qXfjDAOruf1xCD5v-tJWkt9BahV7RQhl64XkDMHMoCV4RSOq95JrlejXly5pafkEHzO1qxr6xDv5_wC4Q

The hedge in the background now has a drift of Snowdrops in front of it.
My brother is an apiarist and when I saw him at the weekend was telling me about his bees being out and about and collecting pollen, he was surprised as there appeared to be a fair few recent hatchlings amongst them.

Just as Mrs. Radcliffe imagined it !

JohnnyO. o

It used to be gloomy and more forbidding till I cleared the top plantation...
I envy the amount of land you've got there...

Anyway, Wednesday seems as though it's going to be pretty windy for the Northern Isles abs far north and north-east of the Scottish mainland, with Thursday bringing strong winds somewhere further south (I'd advise following forecasts vans the Met Office warnings page (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/) for further details).

Just a quick point regarding Thursday for Scotland - as the strongest winds wrap around the southern flank of the low (affecting mainly the central section of the UK), cold air could be drawn down from further north, giving snow on the northern flank of the low. At present, this may well affect Scotland anywhere away from the Borders, though, as usual with snow events this late in the season, altitude will make a significant difference.

Back
Top Bottom