UK Artisan Soaps and Creams

Fox said:
No, have never used it, but a Google search reveals many reviews that suggest its not such a good soap. Easy to lather but soon dissipates and has no cushion.

Yes, that's what I found. So basically, for now there are maybe 3 notable artisan soaps: NSS, Blighty and maybe Scents from heaven

there seems to be a lot of artisan/small scale soap makers selling on ebay, for example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cedarwood-Orange-80g-Shaving-Soap-SLS-Free-/271329281231?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&var=&hash=item3f2c7c44cf#ht_1306wt_904

whether these products are any good is another question. Maybe we should list the many ebay soap makers and test their products? there might be some really good but little knowm stuff out there waiting to be discovered.

flip-68 said:
there seems to be a lot of artisansmall scale soap makers selling on ebay, for example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cedarwood-Orange-80g-Shaving-Soap-SLS-Free-/271329281231?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&var=&hash=item3f2c7c44cf#ht_1306wt_904

whether these products are any good is another question. Maybe we should list the many ebay soap makers and test their products? there might be some really good but little knowm stuff out there waiting to be discovered.

That's a good idea. Sometimes you can find them on Etsy but they all need testing. Maybe there are some gems to be discovered.

just been browsing and have found 2 others (pamper cafe and alphy and becs). i think there was a thread about ebay soaps but i don't know what conclusions were arrived at.

i'm on an acquisition ban this year so my involvement will have to wait 12 months!

flip-68 said:
just been browsing and have found 2 others (pamper cafe and alphy and becs). i think there was a thread about ebay soaps but i don't know what conclusions were arrived at.

i'm on an acquisition ban this year so my involvement will have to wait 12 months!

Yeah, good luck with that

Clean Shave ( www.sunrosegarden.com ) all the way from County Wexford.

Met Martin at my local farmers market and he was a really nice chap.

He directed me to I rubbed the bar of soap (wet) direct to the face and I got a reasonable lather.

Supreme slickness / glide / moisturising. However a little unstable and difficult to lather.

Another Irish soap, which I forgot to add to a list shared on a tread Fox started recently.

Dublin said:

He directed me to I rubbed the bar of soap (wet) direct to the face and I got a reasonable lather.

Supreme slickness / glide / moisturising. However a little unstable and difficult to lather.

Another Irish soap, which I forgot to add to a list shared on a tread Fox started recently.

Nice, I'm from Co. Wexford.. must look 'em up.

Check him out good stuf. Keep an eye on fox above in one of the threads his new soap is amazing

jb74 said:
Dublin said:

Nice, I'm from Co. Wexford.. must look 'em up.

Re: RE: UK Artisan Soaps and Creams

Fox said:
Testing Ebay soaps is a good idea, I don't know if my skin could tolerate it but I would be interested on the results of such.

Why don't a few of us buy one each and report back on results?

OK, we would need to say which one's we are testing.

As a soap maker myself there are not too many that arouse my interest when looking at ingredients, though I will go for this Calendula & Rosewood Shaving Soap by gwellatoiletries and have just placed it on order, so will report back here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271374992480?

The reason I went for it is because of their statement about the soap.

Formulated to not only provide glide during the shaving process but to help repair minor damaged to your skin caused by any form of shaving. The oils will help pre-nourish your skin and soften your hair ready for shaving. With the added benefit of helping tone your skin too with the Carrot Seed Oil.

I would be interested to see if it lives up to this. I am also interested in the scent, Calendula & Rosewood, I like Rosewood but Calendula comes from marigolds, and we know what they smell like, (cats piss) so I am wondering what this soap smells like with the two combined.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to testing this one.

Oh Ho! here we go.... I have gone for this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320968423085?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Natural Glycerine Shaving Soap in a Pot - 100gr. (Black pepper and patchouli )

Note: The price is for one pot or refill only and it does not include the brush or the towel.

Made with 100% pure aromatherapy essential/fragrance oils, Jojoba oil and natural ingredients.
SLS(sodium lauryl sulphate) / Parabens free!

Made in nine variations to suite your personality and skin.
Each fragrance has been carefully blended to deliver a fantastic
shaving experience, and of course.....they all smell just gorgeous!

Each soap has been enriched with pure Vitamin E and Jojoba oil to nourish your skin.

A percentage of Fullers Earth clay is also added to the final batch which
will facilitate the razor's job.

The soap comes in a glass pot, easy to use with your brush and also very easy
to clean and store.

Anyone care to join this Ebay adventure?:angel:

Great stuff chaps - i'll be following your results with interest. As for myself, i have bought some Aleppo soap which the seller claims can be used as a shave soap.

I bought this one -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-Handmade-Aleppo-Noble-Olive-Laurel-Oil-Soap-Skin-Hair-230g/291029334962?_trksid=p3693.m2452&_trkparms=aid%3D333005%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D265%26meid%3D4501127697233798921%26pid%3D100102%26prg%3D1140%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D291029334962%26

this is 12% laurel oil

Darren said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320968423085?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Note: The price is for one pot or refill only and it does not include the brush or the towel.

Made with 100% pure aromatherapy essential/fragrance oils, Jojoba oil and natural ingredients.

Each soap has been enriched with pure Vitamin E and Jojoba oil to nourish your skin.

to clean and store.

I was tempted myself to try out Alphy & Becs, so very pleased you went with this. Will be interesting to see how Fullers Earth effects the shave. I understand the reason for adding it but how it effects the blade of the razor is questionable. Will it sharpen the blade as you shave, or blunting it quicker? Will it hamper a close shave or give the best shave of your life?

A very good first choice Darren, can't wait for your feedback on this one.

Phil another interesting choice, Aleppo soap being made predominantly from Olive Oil. I don't know where the rumour that shaving soaps that are made from Olive Oil are of no use or good came from. I read this a lot over the internet, and at the same time have read people who praise shaving soaps with Olive Oil in them. It will be interesting if Aleppo works as a shaving soap or not, and if so how good it really is.

OK chaps, how many days use of one soap is considered a good test? When I tested my soaps I did what I called an initial test and tested the following, giving them a rating out of 1 to 10. I used Cella Shaving Soap as my calibrator for the ratings, anything below the quality of this soap was obviously rated under a 9, anything that surpassed this soap scored a 10 and 10+

Ease of lathering
Creaminess / Slip = (Finger test by rubbing lather in the finger tips) If it feels thick, creamy and your fingers slide against each other this would be 10, fingers that jump as you rub them together would be 1.
Bubble Volume = (how dense the bubbles are in the lather) Big loose bubbles like bath soap rated 1 while very compact small and many bubbles in the lather rated 10
Dissipation Rate = (Time that it took for the lather to disappear to the point of no good for a shave) 20 minutes+ = 10 a rating of 1 being giving to a soap that didn't hold its lather at all. You can hear soaps that dissipate fast, as the bubbles make a popping sound.

This was the initial test then came 5 days of use, this was to assess the overall quality of the shave and ease. I guess this would include the scent too.

What do you guy's think on this?

Re: RE: UK Artisan Soaps and Creams

Fox said:
Darren said:

to clean and store.

I was tempted myself to try out Alphy & Becs, so very pleased you went with this. Will be interesting to see how Fullers Earth effects the shave. I understand the reason for adding it but how it effects the blade of the razor is questionable. Will it sharpen the blade as you shave, or blunting it quicker? Will it hamper a close shave or give the best shave of your life?

A very good first choice Darren, can't wait for your feedback on this one.

Phil another interesting choice, Aleppo soap being made predominantly from Olive Oil. I don't know where the rumour that shaving soaps that are made from Olive Oil are of no use or good came from. I read this a lot over the internet, and at the same time have read people who praise shaving soaps with Olive Oil in them. It will be interesting if Aleppo works as a shaving soap or not, and if so how good it really is.

OK chaps, how many days use of one soap is considered a good test? When I tested my soaps I did what I called an initial test and tested the following, giving them a rating out of 1 to 10. I used Cella Shaving Soap as my calibrator for the ratings, anything below the quality of this soap was obviously rated under a 9, anything that surpassed this soap scored a 10 and 10+

Ease of lathering
Creaminess / Slip = (Finger test by rubbing lather in the finger tips) If it feels thick, creamy and your fingers slide against each other this would be 10, fingers that jump as you rub them together would be 1.
Bubble Volume = (how dense the bubbles are in the lather) Big loose bubbles like bath soap rated 1 while very compact small and many bubbles in the lather rated 10
Dissipation Rate = (Time that it took for the lather to disappear to the point of no good for a shave) 20 minutes+ = 10 a rating of 1 being giving to a soap that didn't hold its lather at all. You can hear soaps that dissipate fast, as the bubbles make a popping sound.

This was the initial test then came 5 days of use, this was to assess the overall quality of the shave and ease. I guess this would include the scent too.

What do you guy's think on this?

Very precise! We'll see what I can be arsed with..... :)

More seriously.... I'll do my best with respect to the above. Not sure I'll do the dissipation thing but I'll post initial thoughts along with a trial lather and then use it a few times and report my overall impression. Hope this will suit.

Back
Top Bottom