TSR Custom Brush

hando said:
i will be passing the prototype on this week after extensive testing

i will start another thread for comments on it and how it performed, with my fellow testers to add their thoughts and opinions
i won't say now so as not to influence peoples views

stand by your letter box :lol:

How does one become a tester of said brush?

hando said:
i will be passing the prototype on this week after extensive testing

That's a good idea. It's always wise to have more than one opinion in any matter.

About the handle, it seems that we are leaning towards an acrylic handle...

Post your favorite handles here so I can see them.

I really love those shavemac's handles:

1068_0.jpg
1069_0.jpg
1071_0.jpg
1066_0.jpg

1_image_500.jpg

I am very pleased to be the next to try this TSR prototype. I will give it a few days and post a performance review before passing it on to a fellow TSR member. I do feel it is worth making a point about the handle though.

I was pretty much dead-set on an acrylic handle. I would still have bought the brush in wood but I liked the style of the acrylics and thought it would be preferable. Well I have changed my mind :eek: . Hando sent me the TSR Custom along with a Semogue 620 to give a comparison. I tried the 620 and two things made me change my mind. Firstly it was the angular shape that felt strange in my hand. I suppose I could get used to that but the second and most important decider was that the handle felt slippery when wet :shock: . As I lathered the brush kept slipping in my hand. This was very off-putting and detracted from the shaving experience :ugeek: .

This all made me wonder how many acrylic voters have actually used a brush with this type of handle. My plan is to send the 620 to another member along with the TSR brush in case they haven't used one before. If the next person has then (with Hando's permission) I will post it to anyone who wants to try one. Don't PM me yet, I'll be in touch!

:shave

I have to agree PC, I don't mind acrylic but shape wise I would prefer it to be round not unlike this earlier post,

Slow Shaving said:
Leon said:
The 2040:
Smg_sb_2040_MED.jpg

The 2040 is bigger, so it will be a good choice to larger knots. At least 23 mm diameter and 55 mm loft.

One other important note. The top part of the acrylic, seen in these pictures in black, can be painted in whatever color you choose.

I prefer this model painted white, english green, greenish blue, navy or deep blue, or brown. :hungrig

cheese_dave said:
More importantly, how does one become a tester of said brush before PigCat gets it?

That's awesome! So I take it he's one of the official testers besides Leon, Matt, Teiste...

Pig Cat said:
cheese_dave said:
More importantly, how does one become a tester of said brush before PigCat gets it?

It's not me next. Not sure if I'll get a look in either. :roll:

Pig Cat said:
I am very pleased to be the next to try this TSR prototype. I will give it a few days and post a performance review before passing it on to a fellow TSR member. I do feel it is worth making a point about the handle though.

I was pretty much dead-set on an acrylic handle. I would still have bought the brush in wood but I liked the style of the acrylics and thought it would be preferable. Well I have changed my mind :eek: . Hando sent me the TSR Custom along with a Semogue 620 to give a comparison. I tried the 620 and two things made me change my mind. Firstly it was the angular shape that felt strange in my hand. I suppose I could get used to that but the second and most important decider was that the handle felt slippery when wet :shock: . As I lathered the brush kept slipping in my hand. This was very off-putting and detracted from the shaving experience :ugeek: .

This all made me wonder how many acrylic voters have actually used a brush with this type of handle. My plan is to send the 620 to another member along with the TSR brush in case they haven't used one before. If the next person has then (with Hando's permission) I will post it to anyone who wants to try one. Don't PM me yet, I'll be in touch!

:shave

I have Omega 31020, 31025, 31064 and of those I've used 31064 as well as Koh-I-Noor 77J. While I have not prepped my review for the latter, of acrylic handles I feel that 31064 is best. Why? This satisfies both parties: those who prefer small to mid size brushes as well as those with banana fingers and need something that provide comfortable grip throughout the shave.

As much as I hate talking about price Omega's 31064 is priced right and cost significantly less compared to Koh-I-Noor's 77J.

Anyway I typically do 14 shaves to break-in brush before final review, however it surely doesn't hurt posting initial impressions. With regards to Semogue here's my initial review of 620 and 830. Bear in mind these were used with Ogallala Bayrum's
Bayrum Lemongrass and Bayrum, Limes & Peppercorns. Although picture is not posted, the 620 did significantly better than 830 with regards to lathering Vulfix Sandalwood.

Judging from the pictures and specs I reckon the 1520 is similar to 620. I mentioned this once on SMF and asked Teiste about it and he confirms they are the same. I can only speak of 1470, 830 and 620 as these are only ones I have of Semogue. I'll have to give them ( 830/620 ) another run but these were my initial impressions using OBR Bayrum Lemongrass and Bayrum, Limes & Peppercorns.

Semogue 620 Shaving Brush
Acrylic handle
Knot: 22 mm, Loft: 50 mm. Handle height: 43 mm
Ht: 97 mm Loft: 51 mm Base: 46 mm Knot: 22 mm

Craftsmanship:
This is very reminiscent of my Omega 31064 as it too is acrylic based. The handle has indentation for gripping very much like 31064. Only difference is that 31064's notch isn't triangulated but more rectangular in nature.
Having inspected this closely, I discovered there's a minute speckle on the lower left of the Excelsior sticker. It can be felt if you run your finger over it. Minor flaw and easily overlooked as it's not that distracting ( unless you're anal retentive ).

Lather Making Ability:
Very scrubby like 830. Really impressed with the way this brush loads and lathers up. It's very easy-almost to the point of effortless lathering. I haven't read much reviews on this but I like small-to-mid size brushes and initial use was remarkable!

Tip Softness:
Equal to 830. Scrubby just the way I like it.

Bristle Stiffness:
As dense as 830 but shorter bristles. The bristles are same as 1520 respectively according to what I've read.

Knot Density:
Dense like 830. One thing that's bit off putting is flaccid bristle and this does not disappoint.

Overall impression:
Initial use broke off couple tiny bristles ( not even an 1" worth ). No big deal.
The handle is really impressive. I've few acrylic handles and this one's very nice to hold. I didn't tire as mentioned it was very easy to generate lather.

Semogue 830 Shaving Brush
Acrylic handle, top half in maroon, transparent lower half.
Handle: 44 mm, Knot: 22 mm, Loft: 55 mm.
Ht: 112 mm Loft: 56 mm Base: 46 mm Knot: 22 mm

Craftsmanship:
Reminds me of Omega's 31064. Grip is comfortable to hold like the 620. Except the 620 provides section to grip anywhere as pleased.
Here the thumb notches are near the neck silver ring. The bottom half it's smoother surface. I have no problems with it thus far as this is only first use.
One thing in general that really impresses me about Semogue is that the bristles don't shed as often as my other brushes.
Granted the 1470 shed 1 time with 4 uses while the 620 broke a couple small bristles. Which isn't a big deal to me.

Lather Making Ability:
I made the mistake of not loading this as well as I wanted to. The reason for that was I'm only a 2 pass guy. That said, by the third pass it was meringue-like.
The 620 could probably have lasted 5-6 passes. Must be noted that due to longer bristles it does cover wider section which is always a plus.

Tip Softness:
Same as 620 but longer bristles. This one is of same bristle from 1305 but packed more densely. Leon/Bruno mentioned this in one of the forums. In addition, one other brush thread Teiste further added that 1305/1800 and 830 are same bristles. ( Thanks mate )

Bristle Stiffness:
Good backbone like 620. Not flaccid like the 1470.

Knot Density:
Very good. I like how dense this is. I was really looking forward to this when I found out it had 10% more boar in a 22 mm knot.

Overall impression:
It ate my lather by third pass but that's a given considering I was solely to blame and it was at its first use.
Upon pre-soaking this, it didn't give off that famous funk boar's known to do very much like the 620. This one however looking at water produced red residue. I reckon it
must be from the talc or some other thing. Really like the scent of this prior to soaking. I know that sounds weird but it's intoxicating talc. Don't know what kind of talc it is but it is most pleasing.
I'm sure the lathering abilities will surpass my expectations as mentioned it was my fault I didn't load this as well as I normally would considering I'm two-pass guy. Next time I use this, I'll be sure to load it more generously.

If not to late, I´m in aswell :shave . This is really not going the way I thought/wanted, I wasn´t going to buy anything more, really :evil: :lol:

Mikael said:
This is really not going the way I thought/wanted, I wasn´t going to buy anything more, really :evil: :lol:

I said this exact same thing to myself tonight as I loaded a selection of Sharon's soaps, a new brush, and a load of razors into the large box that is my shaving stash.

Seriously, I have enough soaps and creams to last me at least 4 years, almost as many blades as HM, and a stupid amount of razors and brushes. Someone make it stop.

cheese_dave said:
Mikael said:
This is really not going the way I thought/wanted, I wasn´t going to buy anything more, really :evil: :lol:

I said this exact same thing to myself tonight as I loaded a selection of Sharon's soaps, a new brush, and a load of razors into the large box that is my shaving stash.

Seriously, I have enough soaps and creams to last me at least 4 years, almost as many blades as HM, and a stupid amount of razors and brushes. Someone make it stop.
"almost as many blades as HM" don't you mean "almost as many blades as HM admits to having" :)

cheese_dave said:
Mikael said:

Dave,

Don't get me started on soaps or creams. I've enough to last at least 2 lifetimes.

Back
Top Bottom