Truefitt & Hill cream in Boots?

I looked in my local Boots today and noticed they had a Truefitt & Hill shaving cream in a bowl and other products (balms etc), all called Authentic no.10. I can't find any info about this online, either on the T&H or Boots websites.

I'm intrigued, as the cream is selling for £8, much less than their bowls usually sell for. Is it maybe a budget range exclusive to Boots? Any ideas?

Jos

It would be useful if T&H creams etc were available in Boots. Many large multiples (the High Street stores) often persuade niche suppliers to develop a product range for them, at prices below their usual retail. It could be that this is a triain a few stores to assess the market, with a view to releasing the product nationally.

Ultimately, these exercises benefit the retailer far more than the supplier, as terms are often onerous. But T&H creams at the prices that you suggest would be hard to resist, so thanks for the heads-up.

Regards

Ian

can't see owt on their website :?

besides, my local Boots is tiny and wouldn't have it anyway :roll:

how'd you know it's T&H gear?

^^ I was wondering that myself!

I'm a big fan of T+H but I'm pretty sure they don't actually physically make their own products any more, I think they sub contract it out?

I'm often in T+H's shop on Pall Mall and I've not seen anything there, similarly I have a huge Boots nearby and I've seen nothing in there either. Odd one. Would love to know more.

hando said:
can't see owt on their website :?

besides, my local Boots is tiny and wouldn't have it anyway :roll:

how'd you know it's T&H gear?

Yes, I couldn't find anything on the website either. It says Truefitt & Hill on the packaging, with Authentic no.10 as the scent. I saw it in the main Boots store in Brighton, and have never noticed it before - I'm tempted to go back in and grab some, just to see what it's like...

I've not heard of authentic number 10. As far as I know, the only scents that T+H do in their shaving creams are: 1805, Trafalgar, Grafton, Ultimate Comfort, almond, and lavender.
I'd grab some and give it a go, at that price, if it's as good as T+H's lavender cream (which I use almost daily) then it's a good bargain. If not then, meh, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
You can be a guinea pig! :lol:

Be brave Franco, it seems like there's nothig for it but to take one for the team ............ 'twould be rude not to !

Johnny (You know it makes sense) \ :lol:

I've just come back from the huge Boots in Westfield London and they had the full range of this stuff on the shelves.
I've bought the shaving cream, not shaved with it yet but I don't think it's made in the same place as their "own" creams. It's a different pot, and a different consistency of cream, seems a bit softer (so more water content probably). Packaging is wildly different to T+H's normal "corporate image".

I'm thinking it's a range that T+H have put their name to, but possibly not had an awful lot to do with in terms of development etc. I'll see what it shaves like later on.

As an aside, the rest of the range is really odd. Facial scrub? Shaving gel? "Skin treatment"? No aftershave splash, no EDT or cologne (there's a cologne balm whatever that is). Odd.

Be interesting to hear how you get on with it Andrew.

Sounds interesting but I won't have chance to go to a boots for another 3 weeks!!

i'm sure T&H C&E TOBS etc get their stuff made by Creightons

everyone gets it made to the spec they want, so while it may say T&H on the label it could be a slighty different formulation to the "real" stuff

all that said, Creightons don't make crap

So, that's the first shave done. It's actually pretty darn good this.

Sorry for a lack of photos, a friend has borrowed my card reader.

It's not the same as T+H's other creams, hard to explain but it's a slightly different consistency. Packaging is different, it comes in a garish neon green box which contains the tub itself. The tub is brown plastic with T+H's name across the lid. It lacks the ridged lid of T+H's other creams and it's a slightly different shape and a softer plastic which tell me it could well be packaged somewhere different to the other tubs.

Performance wise, it's actually pretty much a match. Very easy to use, it provides a nice, glossy thick lather with loads of glide, in fact it'll suffice to say that it performs exactly the same as T+H's main range. During the shave, If I had a peg on my nose, I'd have said it was the same cream.

Scent is the only thing I'm not so keen on just yet. I find T+H's creams are fairly subtle (almond being an exception) but this has a stronger scent. I'm not good at picking out individual notes but it reminds me very much of Moulton Brown handwash, so it's sort of warm and woody with some orange. I'm generally none too keen on woody scents so others might like this more.

I'm still foxed as to why they'd do this... I mean why produce a cream that's as good as your main range, and then sell it at half the price of the others in High Street stores? At a whole £7 less than a normal bowl of T+H, and for a cream that performs just as well, I'd say that any keen shaver should probably pick some up.

Been a while since I posted but check in regularly, picked up 2 tubs of this in Boots, Liffey Valley, Dublin for a shocking price of €2.60 each (just over 2 fine english pounds), so obviously a mistake but anyone around should try and stock up, seems to be major Boots stores only.

And its smells preety damn good too :shave

My skin reacted badly to all the samples of T&H cream I bought, so I'd skip this offering from Boots. But it is good to see REAL shaving products going on sale to the masses. I try to spread the good word, but if people are going to go back to traditional wet shaving, there needs to be a bigger high street presence.

Back
Top Bottom