The visit of Pope Bendydick

IanM said:
That reminds me of something.

A few years ago, my Dad was working in Glenrothes up in Fife, and often used to travel home at the weekend.

He also had a nice shiney new company car that had a nice shiney 6-CD changer in it, of which my brother an I were in awe. My brother was back living with my parents at the time, so I hatched a little plan.

One weekend, when my Dad was at home, I got my brother to secretly swap one of the CDs in my Dad's changer, so instead of getting Dire Straights, Eric Clapton or Pink Floyd, my Dad would be driving along to the not-so-melodic tunes of The Macc Lads.

When he retunred the follwing weekend, he had guessed who was responsible, and my brother and I had a bit of a chuckle. Whilst talking about this, somebody within ear shot said:

"Who are The Macc Lads?"

Dad replied "A punk band that sing about all these HORRIBLE women, and what these lads do to them."

He then paused, and said...

"Mind you, I was driving through MOTHERWELL at the time."

Ian

That sounds about right Ian

hunnymonster said:
IanM said:
A few years ago, my Dad was working in Glenrothes up in Fife, and often used to travel home at the weekend.

Glenrothes - what a place... it's like a smaller tartanised version of Warrington, without the character.

Yes. It's a bit "New Town" isn't. Fortunately, the company put him up in a flat in Elie, which was next to the sea and 2 golf courses. Of course, when he came home at Easter, Mrs.M and I went for a holiday in Elie for free :cool:

Ian

I grew up right next to Washington in Co. Durham (as it was then) and watched loads of open countryside, small villages with character and most importantly places I used to play all disappear under endless dual-carriageways, roundabouts and concrete.

Still we got the day off school when Princess Anne opened "The Galleries" (which was another lump of concrete surrounded by dual carriageways and roundabouts at the time).

hunnymonster said:
I grew up right next to Washington in Co. Durham (as it was then) and watched loads of open countryside, small villages with character and most importantly places I used to play all disappear under endless dual-carriageways, roundabouts and concrete.

Still we got the day off school when Princess Anne opened "The Galleries" (which was another lump of concrete surrounded by dual carriageways and roundabouts at the time).

The Galleries is ugly.
Did she open the Princess Anne park at the same time? (given that it's pretty close to the Galleries).

Smell The Glove said:
I would have liked to go and welcome the Pope, but unable to as I'm still working away.

It would have been nice to have been there to witness the historical occasion and special for my children in their communion year.

Maybe next time, in about 20 or 30 years time, I'll be there with my grandkids.

I think SWMBO would have gone if not working. Our youngest lad had his first holy communion this year.
Our middle lad had to watch the Pope's visit on the TV at school.
Our eldest was a little less interested.

Pope Benedict was never going to have the same following as John Paul II (different era, Polish Pope at a time when Solidarity was standing against communism, no widespread reporting of child abuse by the Catholic Church). Still, I've been more impressed with him than I expected.
£12 million is a lot of money but we paid for a State visit for George W Bush and I know who I'd rather see. (Oh, and at least Tony Blair is no longer PM so we don't have to witness him fawning).

Personally, I'ld rather see the Dalai Lama....but I guess that's just me.
I went to see John Paul II in 1979 when he was at Phoenix park in Dublin. I remember it well. 1 million people were there in a county with 4 milllion population! People as far as the eye could see. All buses in the city went on one route only that day - to and from Phoenix park.
All buses were free, and also had extra help from the army, so my ancient pram was whisked up by a helpful young man in army wear - green, or course. ;) What a good use for helpful young men......
I was there with my toddler son, and my new born daughter; and as she had been born 6 weeks early, and as she was a few weeks old at the time, it must have been mid Sept. I remember thinking I should have still been pregnant instead of having two babies.
But although I was an aetheist by that time...whatever about the £12 milllion - obviously these things cost - but I can't get my head around the idea of having to pay for a ticket to see the Pope. Many people as poor as I was then might have really felt a spiritual need to see the Pope.....if they were as poor as I was at that time they wouldn't be able to afford to see this one.
So what's that all about???

It was £20 to pay for your "Pope pack" which included your security pass.

Our Priest went along the lines of, pay what you can afford. If you can't afford the 20 quid, then no problem, and kids went free.

The state visit was paid by the taxpayer and the religious part of the visit paid by the Church. I'm not sure how that breaks down.

On a happier note, when it comes to "Special Treatment " & passes to gain admittance to events , am I the only one who felt the public side of the Millenium got off to a truly great start when various press & assorted "VIP" guests were stranded on their special train to the dome on New Years Eve ? Now, if only one of those trapeze artistes could have fallen on Tony & the wicked witch without harming themselves my cup may well have runneth over. (& yes PigC, I do know I could get pads for that !).

JohnnyO. \ :lol: /

Hi to all. This may surprise some of you who are aware of the embarrassing sectarian divide we have up here.

His Holiness the Pope is the leader of one of the worlds major religions, why on earth wouldn't we greet him accordingly!

I have issues with the Roman Catholic church. I have issues with the Church of Scotland. I have issues in general with religion. If I had children and they became Christians, key word Christians, I for one would be delighted, that is if they talked the talk and walked the walk. It appears to be fine up here to attend church / chapel then forget about Christ's teachings for the rest of the week.

Christians are some of the most unchristian like people I have met.

Don't get me started on the separate schools issue up here!

PS
I am obviously not a Christian. Some of you will know I am fond of a quote, my favourite....

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." (Matthew 7:12)
Jesus of Nazareth

rangers62 said:
Christians are some of the most unchristian like people I have met.

I can relate to that, even so its generally the exceptions rather than the rule.

My late grandfather, a fire and brimstone tea total Methodist, advocated the placing bricks near pubs to trip up drunks and yet he presented his minister with a sherry decanter on some significant anniversary. His minister was leading prayers (in my grandfathers house as the chapel was having work done) where we prayed for all peoples around the world Not just Christians but we also pray for Jewish, Muslims or "other heathens" :eek: I took it as a Freudian slip on the ministers behalf.

No offence to Stevie but I've also come across a too many Catholics behave dreadfully towards others and seem to think confession provides a licence to sin.

I have my beliefs but I can't say I follow the religion I was raised with, nor do I wish to.

As I said it may be the exception but there are plenty of examples.

Years ago I sailed with and became friend with a Muslim radio officer (back in the days when ships carried a sparky), whos take on religion was that religion simply provides guidelines to help people to become better human beings.

I liked that idea at the time and have held onto it.

I had lapsed up until last year when my Grandfather's Uncle died at the ripe old age of 95. He was a good, clean living man, and a gentle man who enjoyed life. He was the type of man who I aspire to be more like. One of his things was that he went to mass every Sunday. So I promised myself that, to be a little more like him I would start going to church again. I was a little nervous at first, waiting for the lightning to strike as I stepped into the church :? .

It didn't strike, and I'm glad I started going again. I'm a catholic with a small c and religion is a personal thing. I think that on a personal level religion can be good and lots of people take comfort from it. Unfortunately people being people there are lots of zealots, fanatics, bigots, whatever that tarnish the good things being done by the ordinary folk.

There are some nice stories to come out of the Pope's visit, like the boy who wrote to the Pope "to help keep his cancer away". He got a special blessing and his family will take some hope home with them.

Smell The Glove said:
Years ago I sailed with and became friend with a Muslim radio officer (back in the days when ships carried a sparky), whos take on religion was that religion simply provides guidelines to help people to become better human beings.

I liked that idea at the time and have held onto it.

I had lapsed up until last year when my Grandfather's Uncle died at the ripe old age of 95. He was a good, clean living man, and a gentle man who enjoyed life. He was the type of man who I aspire to be more like. One of his things was that he went to mass every Sunday. So I promised myself that, to be a little more like him I would start going to church again. I was a little nervous at first, waiting for the lightning to strike as I stepped into the church :? .

It didn't strike, and I'm glad I started going again. I'm a catholic with a small c and religion is a personal thing. I think that on a personal level religion can be good and lots of people take comfort from it. Unfortunately people being people there are lots of zealots, fanatics, bigots, whatever that tarnish the good things being done by the ordinary folk.

There are some nice stories to come out of the Pope's visit, like the boy who wrote to the Pope "to help keep his cancer away". He got a special blessing and his family will take some hope home with them.

Stevie

Wonderful! Maybe we have a chance up here after all.

Regards

PS
It's a fitba' team to me ;)

rangers62 said:
"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." (Matthew 7:12)
Jesus of Nazareth

I was brought up Christian however due to my own reasons (which I wont go into) I turned my back on the "body" known as the church. Not religion etc etc just the church.

Your quote there Russ is how I try to live my life every day.

Back
Top Bottom