The visit of Pope Bendydick

henkverhaar said:
IanM said:
I must admit at being somewhat bemused by all the hysteria surrounding his visit. The only conclusion that I can reach, is that somebody, somewhere, is making a lot of money from it.

I'm with Stephen Fry on this one. It's nice for the poeple that like him, and I have nothing against that, but he's being treated like a head of state, when really, he isn't.

Ian

Well, formally, he is. The pope, beside having some say in church matters, is official head of state of Vatican City, which is an official state, like Liechtenstein, Andorra, or Monaco... They even have their own Euro coins.

Well, yes, on paper....but come on, it's like being head of your own back garden.

Ian

Up until a few years ago I don't believe that taxpayers would have had to pay for this visit, it was the previous government which chose to recognise the Vatican as a state. Once having done so they commited the UK to pay for a visiting head of state.

Only problem I had with this visit is that it disrupted traffic today when I had to attend the Opthalmic dept at Paisley RAH to see how my cataracts are getting on.

Is it impious for me to wonder if the Pope is in receipt of a complimentary "Bluebeard's Revenge" as was given to N. Clegg ? If not .............. what a waste of a marketing opportunity.

JohnnyO. :ugeek:

pedro083 said:
Hay chaps 12 million is cheap you pay way more per month for the royal family and the a lot less for anyone.

I have no problem with my contribution towards the upper echelon of the Royal Family, but then i am a steadfast ROYALIST who would have launched a one man extermination of all things named BLAIR or BROWN if they were to scrap the above and create a presidential title.

And in the same breath that's dripping with cold malicious venom i resent the fact we have to foot the bill for this nonce and his entourage. Really glad they sent the old boy to meet them.

IanM said:
henkverhaar said:
IanM said:
I must admit at being somewhat bemused by all the hysteria surrounding his visit. The only conclusion that I can reach, is that somebody, somewhere, is making a lot of money from it.

I'm with Stephen Fry on this one. It's nice for the poeple that like him, and I have nothing against that, but he's being treated like a head of state, when really, he isn't.

Ian

Well, formally, he is. The pope, beside having some say in church matters, is official head of state of Vatican City, which is an official state, like Liechtenstein, Andorra, or Monaco... They even have their own Euro coins.

Well, yes, on paper....but come on, it's like being head of your own back garden.

Ian

What a fantastic idea. I'm working on my new currency as I write. Special round little bars of soap stamped with my official insignia. Once I've got that sorted, I'll start making the rules...1) All visitors to the counry of NSS must present a garden tool to gain entry; and then use it assiduously for the duration of their stay.....unless they are cooking on a barbeque instead, or twanging a guitar in a pleasant fashion. :D

soapalchemist said:
What a fantastic idea. I'm working on my new currency as I write. Special round little bars of soap stamped with my official insignia. Once I've got that sorted, I'll start making the rules...1) All visitors to the counry of NSS must present a garden tool to gain entry; and then use it assiduously for the duration of their stay.....unless they are cooking on a barbeque instead, or twanging a guitar in a pleasant fashion. :D

Or come bearing gifts of alcohol.....

cheers.gif
chugger.gif

I would have liked to go and welcome the Pope, but unable to as I'm still working away.

It would have been nice to have been there to witness the historical occasion and special for my children in their communion year.

Maybe next time, in about 20 or 30 years time, I'll be there with my grandkids.

An apology

Having just read Steve's (Smell the Glove) post, I kinda feel a bit bad about my comments on this matter. I still stand behind the sentiments of my original post -- though I admit they could have been conveyed less crudely.

So, I'd just like to apologise to any member who may have been offended. My OP wasn't intended as an attack on Catholics (far from it) but the organisation which, IMO, manipulates their faith to suit its own ends.

I think I'll be staying away from religious issues for the time being.

But Tony Blair is still fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Nik

hunnymonster said:
Dermot O'Logical said:
We are a Third World country. At least, according to one of his Cardinals. That told us, didn't it?

To be fair he was talking about arriving at Heathrow - which as a welcome to the country ranks down there with Harare International.

Similarly when anyone is visiting Glasgow from England on train and their first stop this side of the country is Motherwell Station :shock:

andyjreid said:
hunnymonster said:
Dermot O'Logical said:
We are a Third World country. At least, according to one of his Cardinals. That told us, didn't it?

To be fair he was talking about arriving at Heathrow - which as a welcome to the country ranks down there with Harare International.

Similarly when anyone is visiting Glasgow from England on train and their first stop this side of the country is Motherwell Station :shock:

That reminds me of something.

A few years ago, my Dad was working in Glenrothes up in Fife, and often used to travel home at the weekend.

He also had a nice shiney new company car that had a nice shiney 6-CD changer in it, of which my brother an I were in awe. My brother was back living with my parents at the time, so I hatched a little plan.

One weekend, when my Dad was at home, I got my brother to secretly swap one of the CDs in my Dad's changer, so instead of getting Dire Straights, Eric Clapton or Pink Floyd, my Dad would be driving along to the not-so-melodic tunes of The Macc Lads.

When he retunred the follwing weekend, he had guessed who was responsible, and my brother and I had a bit of a chuckle. Whilst talking about this, somebody within ear shot said:

"Who are The Macc Lads?"

Dad replied "A punk band that sing about all these HORRIBLE women, and what these lads do to them."

He then paused, and said...

"Mind you, I was driving through MOTHERWELL at the time."

Ian

Back
Top Bottom