The Mongoose

Hiya,

So can anyone tell me what the shave's supposed to be like? I know you can't say from experience, but what have you guys seen written by other forum members about the performance?

Is it kinda like a Cobra SE thing with the injector angle or more of a DE feel and technique? I tried looking through a long thread and gave up after a while. Or maybe it's not similar to either one for all I know, although I would guess it's nearer to a DE razor using a special injector type blade.

Thanks for any info,

Martin

Look s like things are progressing forward. They have just posted pics of both the satin finish and the polished one. The emails are going out soon so the news says. But have a read on Facebook.............

dodgy said:
Hiya,

So can anyone tell me what the shave's supposed to be like? I know you can't say from experience, but what have you guys seen written by other forum members about the performance?

Is it kinda like a Cobra SE thing with the injector angle or more of a DE feel and technique? Martin

Hiya,

Ok, I am guessing no one here who bought a Mongoose actually knew what they were gonna get shave wise. Hard to believe but that's what it looks like from zero response to the above questions. Seriously, nobody has seen reviews on the shave characteristics? Not even how aggressive or mild?

Heh, talk about a leap of faith. i know it can be sold right away if needed but still.

Martin

dodgy said:
dodgy said:
Hiya,

Is it kinda like a Cobra SE thing with the injector angle or more of a DE feel and technique? Martin

Hiya,

Ok, I am guessing no one here who bought a Mongoose actually knew what they were gonna get shave wise. Hard to believe but that's what it looks like from zero response to the above questions. Seriously, nobody has seen reviews on the shave characteristics? Not even how aggressive or mild?

Heh, talk about a leap of faith. i know it can be sold right away if needed but still.

Martin

Hi Marv, there are a number of reviews on Facebook with people parting with the original Cobras after getting one of these.
There are number of reviews on Youtube http://youtu.be/hK88IcK2sF8 is one.

Guess like getting any new razor it is a leap of faith, but in this case I doubt if it doesn't work for you it will sell quickly on BST.

At a price point of $149 shipped in the USA for a stainless steel S.E. razor it not as bad as some s/s razors......

MONGOOSE UPDATE - 24 October, 2014
Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!!! {Long Post w/ LOTS of Info - Please READ it before firing off questions}.
EVERYONE on the Wait List will be receiving an email in the next couple of days requesting 1) your PayPal info so we can invoice you when your razor is ready and 2) your selection of finish and handle options. The email will include all the details for the selections and their pricing. As previously mentioned, Batch 2 order fulfillment will be done in the order in which people joined the list, so it is HIGHLY LIKELY that other people will receive their razors before you have received your invoice if you joined the list later. So, when you see other people posting pictures and reviews of their B2 Mongoose, please do NOT go into panic mode and start firing off inquiries as to where yours is - if you received the above-mentioned email and responded, you will eventually receive your invoice and ultimately (upon payment) receive your razor. We will not be replying to such inquiries - there's not enough time in the day to do so.
MIRROR POLISH FINISH
The Mirror Polished heads (same look as the B1 razors) come with a Dub Slim (1/2", 90 gram) handle, standard; $149, shipped in the US. As mentioned, this finish is expensive to achieve and can be "fragile" - the polishing is easily scuffed if not well-cared for, so if you're ordering this one, please be aware of that. As many people were really interested in it, we will be providing an option swap the Dub Slim handle for a Dub Legend (5/8" diameter, 135 gram) for an additional cost (+$30, for a total cost of $179, shipped in the US). Or, if you'd like the Full Set (head and both handles), that can be purchased too (+$40, or $189, shipped in the US). The details will be provided in the email. Please also note that we may drop the Mirror Polish finish as a standard option after Batch 2.
SATIN FINISH
At long last, we have gotten a Satin finish that we feel is up to our aesthetic and performance standards. The Satin heads come with a handle we showed earlier that is part of the "Bomber Pole" series, named for world-renowned shaver, Mongoose test-panel member and all-around grand fellow, Paul Bombino. The standard handle is the "Dr. Bomber" which, like the Dub Slim, is 1/2" diameter and 90 grams; $149, shipped in the US. As with the Mirror Polish, there is an option to swap to the "Big Bomber" handle for an additional cost (+$30, for a total cost of $179, shipped in the US). NOTE - we don't have a picture of the Big Bomber yet, but picture the Dr. Bomber, just a bit wider. Or, if you'd like the Full Set (head and both handles), that can be purchased too (+$40, or $189, shipped in the US). The details will be provided in the email.
UPDATE NOTE ON SATIN - a question was asked about the finish on the Bomber Pole handles relative to the Satin head. The handles are not going to be "satinized" as the process actually makes them look less elegant. The "shiny" finish you see is how they come off the lathe (plus some cleaning and deburring). We like the look of this much better than a fully satinized handle. SO, if you are a wee bit OCD and will freak out if the non-knurled parts of the Bomber Pole handle won't match your Satin head, you may want to rethink your choice.
HANDLE ADD-ONS
As we know some people will want to mix and match handle options, we have come up with a reasonable solution that allows you to do so, and is not a logistical and picking / packing nightmare for us. Here's what we will do: if you purchase either the Mirror Polished or the Satin finish razor, but would like to have the standard handle (or both handles) offered with the other finish (for example, you want to order the Mirror Polish, but would also like a Bomber Pole handle), we will allow you to ADD ON that other handle (not a swap out, but an additional purchase) for a discounted price (+$40 for the Slim or Dr. Bomber and +$45 for the Legend or Big Bomber). This offer is available ONLY at the time of purchase, is available ONLY for people buying a complete razor (no Head Only order add ons), and pricing for individual handles will be different (higher) later. All details will be in the email.
HEAD ONLY
As mentioned, we will be offering the Mongoose in a Head Only configuration. This was a frequently requested option by people who 1) already have more than enough handles, 2) have one(s) that are perfect for them, or 3) simply don't care for any of our handle options. The pricing ($119, shipped in the US; higher to other locations, based on postage & insurance) reflects the simpler picking / packing and order management required. As mentioned, there will be NO handle add on option available for Head Only orders.
So - there you go. We're getting ready to Rock & Roll and will be contacting the Batch 2 Wait List people shortly. Below are a number of pictures that show each finish, and the two razors together, so you can get a rough idea of how they compare. PLEASE NOTE; on the ramp-face of the Satin finish, you will see a line cutting across the face - this is NOT part of the design; as all the the production parts are in various stages of progress or finishing, we had only one first articles reject left at this time to send out for finish sampling (we didn't want to wait any longer, and no, you can't buy it). We want to thank you all again for your interest, enthusiasm and patience (mostly). We know it's been a long journey for a number of you who came on board several weeks ago and have been following the Mongoose Razor development even longer. The wait is drawing to a close and we hope you'll find it was worth it.
LATE EDIT - a question was asked about the "Farnsy Wave" handle. We will eventually offer this handle as a stand-alone purchase, but don't have the time to get it all done for the main Batch 2 launch. As many of you know, the Farnsy Wave honors our other Mongoose tester - the lovely and talented David Marshburn!
Mongoose Team

Hmmm. Think it might be the mirror finish for me.

missingskin said:
[

Martin

Hi Marv, there are a number of reviews on Facebook with people parting with the original Cobras after getting one of these.
There are number of reviews on Youtube http://youtu.be/hK88IcK2sF8 is one.

Guess like getting any new razor it is a leap of faith, but in this case I doubt if it doesn't work for you it will sell quickly on BST.

At a price point of $149 shipped in the USA for a stainless steel S.E. razor it not as bad as some s/s razors......
[/quote]

Blimey, its me old mate hissingskunk,

Thanks for the link that I may look at sometime. I was just hoping someone here mighta seen what they were gonna be getting shave wise or is everyone still in the dark? Buying that way is pretty iffy.....more so than usual without enough info.l. Maybe the youtube stuff clears things up.

Ok, I will wait to hear what you Limeys and other foreigners have to say. One thing's for sure....everyone will be very polite. Too bad this place is 6 months behind the current shaving fashions.

So Steve, what kind of shave are you expecting or do you still not have any idea? I would expect you to end up liking it quite a bit but who knows. I have seen lots of very positive reviews but didn't see much comparing injectors and DEs.

Marv

Back
Top Bottom