The Mongoose

Just read this for those interested in purchasing the razor.

UPDATES AND NOTES (2014.09.12):

1) We are pleased to inform everyone that BullGoose Shaving will be the US and Canada distributor for Mongoose Razors. At Phil's discretion, he may add one or more online suppliers. In addition, for the immediate future, BullGoose will also fulfill international orders. No decision has been made concerning any European or UK distributor(s) but we have been approached by three companies.

It's best that Bruce and I concentrate on manufacturing, quality and new product development. Additionally, we both have substantial day-to-day business activities that have nothing to do with our passion for shaving. So, the time is right to bring in those that are better equipped to process orders.

When we complete the setup all people on the current list will have their orders fulfilled prior to any general site orders being taken. A special area of the BullGoose site, by invitation only, will be established to handle the current orders and those that come in during the next few weeks.
If you have any questions please post them here and Matt or I will answer them. Please DO NOT contact BullGoose until the time of the order hand off.

2) Just joining the group doesn't automatically put you on the wait-list for Batch 2 (the next, full-production release of the Mongoose Razor). If you're interested in purchasing one, please send a note to "mongooseorders@gmail.com". Being on the list doesn't require a deposit (we don't want to sit on anybody's cash) and is NOT an obligation to purchase.

3) Please don't use the group for B/S/T. While we appreciate the interest in sharing selling or trading options with the members here, we prefer to keep the feed focused on discussions, questions and reviews. There are a number of of dedicated B/S/T FB groups and sections in the forums that are probably better suited to that activity. We appreciate your cooperation.

Thanks.

Update today..........
MONGOOSE UPDATE, 6-October, 2014 (Long Read - But Please Read it)
Greetings folks; we're getting closer to sending out notification for the Batch 2 production. We want to update you all on a few items of importance and changes.
1) Due to the substantially higher manufacturing and polishing costs for the razor, we will be fulfilling all Batch 2 orders directly from Mongoose Razors and not through BullGoose as previously mentioned. So, you will receive an email from Mongoose when the time is right with ordering instructions. Once we have fulfilled all the Batch 2 wait-list orders, the razors will be available through BullGoose, as per our prior update. So, if you were waiting for the razor to be available to purchase blades and any other items from BullGoose, there's no need to wait - go ahead and place your orders for blades and such. Also note, Phil was able to extend the 20% discount on blades to include both the Feather Professional and the Feather Professional Super, along with the Kai Titan Mild and Kai Titan Mild with Guard; just use "Mongoose" as your coupon code during checkout for the savings to apply.
2) Despite our costs being well above our estimates, we will NOT be changing the pricing for the people on the Batch 2 wait list. We made a commitment at $149 (shipped in the US; $119 for the head-only option, shipped in the US) and will stand by that commitment. However, once the Batch 2 orders are fulfilled, we have no choice but to implement a price increase. The exact amount of the increase will be announced shortly, but the Mongoose will still be VERY competitive against other SE razors available.
3) We will be closing the Wait List for Batch 2 as of 12:00PM EST on Wednesday, 8-October, 2014. We will not be starting a wait list for future batches as razors will be available as standard stock items from BullGoose.
4) Availability - as you may imagine, we've been getting numerous inquiries as to whether Batch 2 is ready yet. As we have said all along, we will contact the wait-list people via email when we have razors on hand, and are ready to take orders. We realize it may have taken longer than you expected, but as with Batch 1, we had to get it right. Based on the manufacturer's delivery capability, we will be contacting the Batch 2 wait-list people in the order we received their inquiry with instructions. So, it is likely that you may see other people receiving their Batch 2 razor before you, possibly even before you have received your notice. Don't worry - if you're on the list, a razor is being made for you. Please do not email, PM, text, fax, smoke-signal or carrier pigeon inquiries or complaints that others have theirs and you're still waiting. It is going to happen; it didn't seem reasonable to sit on the inventory and wait for all the razors to be ready before getting them shipped. We apologize in advance if this plan is unacceptable to you. Please also refrain from contacting us to inquire where you are on the list. We won't be responding or providing that information (again, sorry if that displeases you).
5) Options - you have probably seen several handle and finish options in our SoTD pics over the past several weeks. We have been playing with a number of variations. In order to simplify manufacturing / inventory management and ordering / shipping efficiency, we will not be offering a wide array of standard options. However, we do intend to offer some choice. Below are the details - we will post pictures of everything before taking orders, so you will have a chance to see all options before making your selection.
a) The mirror-polish finish seen in Batch 1 will also be available for Batch 2. This will come with the mirror-polished Dub Slim handle (1/2" diameter, 3.9" length, 90 gram weight).
b) We have been working on a matte finish as well. However, what we have been able to achieve to-date is not up to our aesthetic standards (close, but not there yet). We are looking at a couple of additional alternative finishing options and expect to be able to offer this as a standard finish. As with the mirror-polish version, the matte will come with a single 1/2" diameter, 3.9" length handle; the final design of this handle is still under consideration and will be selected shortly.

Cost of handle is $30.00
Extra postage cost to E.U./U.K. aprox $20.00

bigdunc said:
there is no official price for the handle yet
also postage costs to uk are also not comfirmed

missing skin is just surmising the cost

If you read the whole post and all the questions you will find the cost of the head is $30.00 less than the complete razor and the owner was asked about postage to E.U/U.K. and he said aprox $20.00 extra. So if you want the handle with it and postage to the U.K it will cost $20.00 extra (aprox) for postage and take off $30.00 off the complete razor price to just buy the head ??????????
I only posted what I saw when I read the whole post inc comments............

i have read ALL the posts
the full razor is $149
head only $119
handle $ no price

you have just subtracted one from the other and got $30
like i said the price is not confirmed

if they use ups with fully insured and tracked the cost will be a lot more

Matt Glass Timothy Burks - yep, we've got you.
Mah Yar - thanks; response sent.
Christophe Locolas - I believe it was around a $20 adder for shipping / insurance to EU/UK addresses.

Guess you missed Matt Glass's post about the extra postage cost they had incurred when sending out the 1st batch ?
Yes I subtracted the cost of the head only from the cost of head & handle to get the cost difference. I don't even know if the handle will be available on its own but I was giving a comparison between the 2 options.

I am not willing to argue over a razor that is not available yet, I will wait until I get my email and make my decision on my purchase then.
In the meantime people can read about the progress on Facebook themselves.

I have always liked the Gillette Aristocrat (GB) type handle. I have seen a Mongoose with this style handle but I'm not sure what handles are going to be available on Batch 2/3 razors. Is there a thread somewhere showing all the handle types?

Paul said:
I have always liked the Gillette Aristocrat (GB) type handle. I have seen a Mongoose with this style handle but I'm not sure what handles are going to be available on Batch 2/3 razors. Is there a thread somewhere showing all the handle types?

Not sure Paul, but quite a few people have been using UFO handles maybe it was one of those you saw ?
I seem to remember someone on here making handles but have forgotten who as I would like a handle with Aristo type knurling on it.

Possibly they do make nice looking handles. Also one of the ATT razors has this style of handle but they're a bit smaller than I would like.

Not that I have any worries about the smooth handle being slippery I just really prefer handles with some sort of knurling.

Back
Top Bottom