THE FIN

antdad said:
Comparing the elastic behaviour of a long chain molecule like cellulose with shape memory metal is complete and utter nonsense because all the heat treatment of straight razors is done prior to any final grinding, sharpening and honing.

Stop with the pseudo science you're making yourself look silly.

Now, now, children easy does it!
Peace and good will to all men.

osdset,
I know there are variables with the HHT I try to keep mine as controlled as possible with them in a bag and at equal lengths and thickness's but that doesn't make it absolutely controlled.
However the results are too consistent for me to say that it is a load of rubbish. There seems to be some truth in it.

I think we can agree that the whole subject is completely irrelevant to maintaining our razors edge though and that it is not compulsory to have more than one straight razor.

I see you have your view and that is based on intelligent thinking and I respect that, I just wanted you to consider my observations before you completely dismiss the idea.

If nothing else I'm sure this debate has provided plenty of entertainment to the other members!

antdad said:
Comparing the elastic behaviour of a long chain molecule like cellulose with shape memory metal is complete and utter nonsense because all the heat treatment of straight razors is done prior to any final grinding, sharpening and honing.

It wasn't intended as pseudo science, merely an analogy to explain what I think happens.
"you're making yourself look silly."
We were having a civilised discussion until now.

django said:
osdset,
I know there are variables with the HHT I try to keep mine as controlled as possible with them in a bag and at equal lengths and thickness's but that doesn't make it absolutely controlled.
However the results are too consistent for me to say that it is a load of rubbish. There seems to be some truth in it.

I think we can agree that the whole subject is completely irrelevant to maintaining our razors edge though and that it is not compulsory to have more than one straight razor.

I see you have your view and that is based on intelligent thinking and I respect that, I just wanted you to consider my observations before you completely dismiss the idea.

If nothing else I'm sure this debate has provided plenty of entertainment to the other members!
That's better, kiss and make up!
It's good to have a debate about things,but not like this.is it? War's have stared over much less.

django said:
osdset,

antdad said:

It wasn't intended as pseudo science, merely an analogy to explain what I think happens.

Well said, I was expressing an opinion about a theory, I was in no way meaning to put down the person who posted it, if my posts came across in that fashion I sincerely apologise.
I inject a bit of sarcasm in my posts sometimes, this is intended as a humorous aside, some people can take it the wrong way.

Regards

John

osdset said:
django said:
osdset,

antdad said:

Well said, I was expressing an opinion about a theory, I was in no way meaning to put down the person who posted it, if my posts came across in that fashion I sincerely apologise.
I inject a bit of sarcasm in my posts sometimes, this is intended as a humorous aside, some people can take it the wrong way.

Regards

John

Apology excepted,I personally found your sarcasm funny, but as you rightly say it can anger some people, I guess the world would be boring if we were all the same: peace, and love to all mankind :heart:

django said:
antdad said:

I apologise for appearing uncivilised, I find the abandonment of scientific principle over pseudo science to be equally so. You state what you observe as fact without any measurement or rigour and then add a misleading analogy because it's what you think suits your model, that is pseudo science. You theorised about the metal clearly having some "memory effect" because it is a convenient if not plausible explaination to the uninitiated but what is most revealing is that if you actually knew what it was you would not have suggested it.

django said:
There clearly is some "memory" to the original shape present within the material.
Think of it like this, the cellophane of a cigarette pack. If you crush the cellophane inside your hand, once you release it, it will start to restore itself to regain its original shape. Of course it will not reach the original shape shape but it is the same principle.

Fine... Can we get back to science?
Blades hold a straight edge at the molecular and super-molecular level; they dull when the fine edge is bent or rolled back upon itself, although the degree of bend is invisibly small. Stropping the blade isn't meant to remove metal but to reestablish the edge.
The blade we're using is cutting hair not being used in a way that would abuse it's edge.
When we're talking at this molecular level than 'resting' seems a real possibility.

Keep praying Johnus

Cutting anything will compromise the edge and stropping (because no material is actually removed) is more to do with plastic deformation. If your edge has visbly "rolled" it wasn't a very good one.

Straight2000X.jpg

See the edge (x2k) of this freshly stroped razor? No continuous ribbon or band or marching iron molecules with a good memory.

WOW! I thought this was about shaving, ie removing facial hair by the means of cutting it off with whatever preferred version of a knife that one chooses? Maybe I was wrong.

I own one (1) straight razor. I give it a go every night. I strop it before I shave, and after to remove moisture. When I can feel it has lost a little sharpness, I give it 5 laps on a chromium oxide pasted piece of balsa.

It performs very well, and it removes hair from my face like a charm. It is the smoothest blade I have ever put to my face, even after the chromium oxide lapping.

Have I just been lucky?

/Max

antdad said:
Keep praying Johnus

Cutting anything will compromise the edge and stropping (because no material is actually removed) is more to do with plastic deformation. If your edge has visbly "rolled" it wasn't a very good one.

Straight2000X.jpg

See the edge (x2k) of this freshly stroped razor? No continuous ribbon or band or marching iron molecules with a good memory.

Hi Antdad. A great photo but does ir really prove a point given that it was stropped? I was thinking that you have the technology to prove the theory one way or another by taking photos of the following:

1 Freshly stropped blade just prior to shaving.
2 Just after shaving to show the extend of degradation.
3 leave for 48 hours - pyramid optional - then see if there really is any difference from the post shave state.
4 strop and then re-examine to compare with previous state.

What do you think - are you up for it?

Well today I took the kids in to town on the bus.

I'm looking forward to opening the curtains tomorrow morning to find that my Fiesta has turned in to a Porsche. That is how this resting thing works, isn't it?

I personally intend to spend most of the next fortnight resting. We'll see if it makes me any sharper. That said, I'm not a razor. Though I am straight.

I thought I would try and add a practical test to this thread. So, rather than "resting" a straight, I decided to shave with the same one for a week.

Last Monday morning I took out a freshly sharpened straight, and have shaved with the same razor Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and this morning, with only stropping before and after each shave.

I don't know whether the "Fin" actually exists or not, what I can tell you is, it makes no difference. The quality of the shave I have had each morning has not diminished in any way by not resting my razor. I intend to finish the week off, and will post again next Sunday, but so far, the existence or non existence of the so called fin is completely immaterial, as far as I can see.

MisterG said:
My new razor arrived yesterday.
It is scarily sharp.
I am going to let it rest in its box... until I pluck up courage to use it!!!

Mind you don't leave it resting in its box too long, or it will be really, really sharp by the time you get around to using it. :icon_rolleyes:

MisterG said:
My new razor arrived yesterday.
It is scarily sharp.
I am going to let it rest in its box... until I pluck up courage to use it!!!

Are you happy with your new razor? Now is the time to ask for tips and advice. Just so long as the advice doesn't go all top gear.:D

Back
Top Bottom