THE FIN

Any body that's been reading the small but sharp post's between shanky887614 and my self (who has made me some what angry not at shanky887614 but at the fact that 95% of people have actually believe in THE FIN on a straght razor and that includes my self my dad the barber and probably most other people,actually exists and it's wrong they don't exist at all and you can infact shave with them every day with no need for a resting time at all. I have spoken with my dad who thinks the FIN still exists because his dad said that THE FIN is on a straght razor,so I gess the myth is still imbedded in the minds of probably millions of men around the globe.will this wrong myth ever fade into history? Who can say ? I thank shanky887614 for putting me right on this matter it just goes to show you that you are never to old to learn some thing new! thinking about it now may be its about time it is thrown on the scrap heap,and people can learn about shanky887614's more scientific point.haven't we moved on with science to help us explain things better? I know one thing if talking about this in TSR should THE FIN SHOULD STAY ON JAWS!!!!!!!.

Sure razors have to rest. How do you think all those cracks occur? Metal stress from not resting. You have to rest, I have to rest, razors have to rest..

Some people don't strop for every shave.
After a shave the razor is definitely duller.
If you leave it for 24-48 hrs the blade is definitely sharper. The hanging hair test will prove that there is some truth in this old concept.
However stropping the blade will override all this and you can do that straight after a shave!
I don't know whether letting the blade rest will prolong the period between honing? But again it takes seconds to refresh the edge on a finishing hone.

So resting the blade is not wrong, just irrelevant to most of todays straight shavers.

Yeah, well, just ... I don't think you can talk about metal stress in the same sentence as you talk about shaving with a cut throat, metal stress happens when you stress the metal physical. It's a well known myth/fact that a straight razor should rest a day, but I don't buy it - just my two cents though ... Of course a razor used every day will dull twice as fast as a razor used every second day - but that has nothing to do with anything. I think the razor makers, before Gillette, also knew a thing or two about selling their gear ... :D

That's why people who are regular straight razor users have several razors, I personally dont think resting a razor or any other sharp object will bring it back to sharpness personally, but it is a good idea to use several razors, because it allows you a longer use before you have to take them back to the hone for freshening up. if you only had one razor well obviously this would result in more edge maintenance.

Jamie.

When my first straight arrives (waiting... waiting... waiting!) I can't say that resting it will be an issue! I normally go a couple of days between shaves - unless I really just feel like shaving! The straight shave will be a weekend treat - so it will take me ages to learn.

Yeah this argument started a few days ago in another thread.

I don't actually understand what's going on here at all. Johns style of writing (wall of text, little punctuation) makes it really tough to understand :(

Good start. I predict at least four pages with only half a dozen posts actually discussing the issue.

Could go all 'Brucie' in a bit.

We'll see.

Wait...I've been resting for a couple of days and just I went back to the crossword and found I could finish it. Shurely proof that a good rest makes you sharper?

Lets crank it up a notch...How about letting the blade rest under a pyramid...They tried that in Russia and it was "claimed" to "realign" the structure of the cutting edge.......can't see it myself, but who knows?

Ooh.... I can feel a shaving research trip to Egypt coming on

Back
Top Bottom