THE FIN

MisterG said:
GOLDCREST said:
Lets crank it up a notch...How about letting the blade rest under a pyramid.

Mythbusters tried this - admittedly with a disposable - and it didn't work

Unless 'Mythbusters' used a straight razor, William's argument is valid.

The pyramid only works if you use magnets ! You don't keep your open boxes of DE on magnets! It works.
Look at ship yards and electrically charging metal hulls for storage. Same concept with magnets and razors.

tuftey said:
I lay all my straights under a crystal pyramid on a lay line and find that keeps them in top notch condition. :icon_razz:

Hi I can see THE FIN has got a interesting discussion going. I am assuming every one has seen the post from shanky887614 and my self?
This started with advice of letting your straght razor have resting time due to THE FIN of the blade flexing when shaving shanky has pointed out that THE FIN is a myth and you can shave every day with it with out a resting time.the point I am attempting to make is if THE FIN is a myth then I gess millions of men have been stitched up like a kipper

MisterG said:
When my first straight arrives (waiting... waiting... waiting!) I can't say that resting it will be an issue! I normally go a couple of days between shaves - unless I really just feel like shaving! The straight shave will be a weekend treat - so it will take me ages to learn.

Hello I can see you are excited about your first one I know how you feel,keep a eye on that post man.

John said:
the point I am attempting to make is if THE FIN is a myth then I gess millions of men have been stitched up like a kipper

Yes, it would be like, if a big company *Gillette* tricked billions of men to think cartridges are better than DE blades ... and cut throats :D

Mikael said:
John said:
the point I am attempting to make is if THE FIN is a myth then I gess millions of men have been stitched up like a kipper

Yes, it would be like, if a big company *Gillette* tricked billions of men to think cartridges are better than DE blades ... and cut throats :D
Yep looks that way don't it ,glad I didn't buy a 7 day set at around £1500 from thiers issard.

John said:
Yep looks that way don't it ,glad I didn't buy a 7 day set at around £1500 from thiers issard.

Why are you glad?

With a 7 day set you wouldn't need to send your razors to be honed for a good couple of years.

joe mcclaine said:
John said:

Why are you glad?

With a 7 day set you wouldn't need to send your razors to be honed for a good couple of years.

That's a very good point,I can only say that my beard is heavy and chews blades to death, and I spent £1500 on my Gibson guitar,I have to admit a seven day set will look good in my razor collection.:s

Magnetism would speed up the process of realigning the edge.
You don't need expensive scientific equipment like electron microscopes to prove it.
Like I said before, the hanging hair test!
Have a shave then test the edge with the HHT.
Do the HHT a day later and it will score higher. Simples!

django said:
Magnetism would speed up the process of realigning the edge.
You don't need expensive scientific equipment like electron microscopes to prove it.
Like I said before, the hanging hair test!
Have a shave then test the edge with the HHT.
Do the HHT a day later and it will score higher. Simples!

Magnets, I was using gravity to do the job!:icon_razz:

Sezer74 said:
This may be little bit out of topic but, should a razor be stropped after finishing the shave before its put to rest or next use? to prevent rusting?
Yes give it a few strops to make sure it's dry don't want no rust on it.

The myth about resting razors so that the edge will magically reform or re-sharpen itself has been disproved, it's rubbish, I have been in the business of putting sharp edges on tools for over 35 years, I can unequivocally guarantee that a chisel, plane iron, knife, or razor that has been sharpened / honed to the nth degree will not improve in the box, drawer, tool chest, or what have you no matter how long you leave it.
It was a ploy by razor manufacturers to get the unsuspecting punter to buy more than one razor, pure bunkum.

osdset said:
The myth about resting razors so that the edge will magically reform or re-sharpen itself has been disproved, it's rubbish, I have been in the business of putting sharp edges on tools for over 35 years, I can unequivocally guarantee that a chisel, plane iron, knife, or razor that has been sharpened / honed to the nth degree will not improve in the box, drawer, tool chest, or what have you no matter how long you leave it.
It was a ploy by razor manufacturers to get the unsuspecting punter to buy more than one razor, pure bunkum.

Yep ain't the first time some body has tried to stitch up the punter and probably ain't going to be the last.

MisterG said:
When my first straight arrives (waiting... waiting... waiting!) I can't say that resting it will be an issue! I normally go a couple of days between shaves - unless I really just feel like shaving! The straight shave will be a weekend treat - so it will take me ages to learn.

I would like to lay a bet - no money involved - that when the RAD (razor acquisition disorder) kicks in, you'll be wishing you had to shave twice a day just so you can ckeck out the latest purchase.

Back
Top Bottom