The best mince pies this year?

Hiya,

There's a grocery store near me that specializes in food from all over the place and this time of year there's things like Stollen and Panettone and marzipan objects they are just now stocking. Also in that aisle there's some mince meat pie items along with various puddings and cakes.

Sheesh, I ended up buying a 9 pack of miniature pies made by Walkers of all people. I like some other things they make and figured these might be ok. Haven't tried one yet but I am optimistic.

Hard to believe nobody mentioned the well known Scotch company before and it took a Yanker to bring it up. Y'all are really hopeless when it comes to food sometimes, no offense meant of course. Hell, not even Big G popped up with anything.

Maybe Walkers sells better in the USA and the company doesn't offer much to the locals.

Martin

Last edited:
Found in the past when I made Mince Pies (father in law liked them) that the secret was in the beef suet and the liquor that you used. I alway used a Brandy in mine.

Hiya,

Well I tried the tiny Walker mince pie the other day and it was actually pretty good. Heated it in a regular toaster oven for 10 minutes at 350 and done deal. Figured that way would give it the best chance to shine.

Crust was overall good regarding flavor and texture was pleasant in a firm crumbly kinda way. Yeah, not bad at all.

Filling was a pleasant mix of more than one note standing out, which made it more interesting than might be expected. I could even taste some orange in there from the peel. Fruit texture wasn't overdone and ratio to crust was about right. Nice looking presentation to this thing.

On the sweet side so coffee or cold milk is the way to go. Can't think of anything else to drink with those tiny pies. Oh, hot chocolate would be good too.

All in all, I believe y'all might find this local treasure to your liking.

Last edited:
Hmm, LiDL appear to be claiming the Which? honours too.

2cgxzrd.png

Or are there different mince pie categories? If Which?'s car reviews are anything to go by, I'd reserve judgement anyway..

Cheats mincemeat erm, ahh, petit fours?

Take a quality, all butter shortbread round and some luxury mincemeat, Wilkin & Sons if you can get it. Simply pop a small dollop of mincemeat on said round and et voila! A half decent quickie mincemeat treat.

Definitely hitting the spot with a pot of Ringtons Northumbrian Blend as I type....:D

I had my first bought mince pie today from M&S and I have only one thing to say...puff pastry mince pies are just wrong, it was like eating a barely filled eccles cake.

Back
Top Bottom