The best mince pies this year?

So far - Asda, Tesco, Waitrose - I'm somewhat disappointed in the best offerings this year.

Has anyone come across an outstandingly good - definitely not exceedingly good - mince pie this year?

Mater makes her own and they're braw but it's a bit early for her yet, besides, we're all on a health kick.....:rolleyes:

I do so love mince pies! I have to say though, my Granny's iced fruit slice tops them (tops the ruddy lot tbh). At 91 she's handed the making of them over to Mum but readily offers her critique. Mum's got it down, though. Recipe uses lard in the pastry and the fruit filling is amazing! I'd go to war over yon fruit slice....

Last edited:
Mater makes her own and they're braw but it's a bit early for her yet, besides, we're all on a health kick.....:rolleyes:

I do so love mince pies! I have to say though, my Granny's iced fruit slice tops them (tops the ruddy lot tbh). At 91 she's handed the making of them over to Mum but readily offers her critique. Mum's got it down, though. Recipe uses lard in the pastry and the fruit filling is amazing! I'd go to war over yon fruit slice....
Is the recipe a family kept secret or could you share it with us? I would like to kick start a tradition in my family :)

I could tell you but.....

My granny would beat you silly with her rolling pin! :D

Seriously, she probably couldn't lift her rolling pin these days, bless her. I'll have a word and see what's what. Problem is the recipe isn't written down and never has been. Granny always made things up as she went along and she says it sort of evolved. Mum may have written it down though, memory like a sieve just like me. What were you asking about again?

Watch this space.....;)

Believe it or not, a decent mince pie can be had from Greggs the bakers, from memory they have a Good Housekeeping magazine award for their mince pies, they should start selling them soon as it is October and nearly Xmas !!

Betty's of Harrogate ......................

Charles U.K
Ooo Betty's. When we lived in 'Arragut, back in the day, we used to have a monthly payday treat of Coffee & cream cakes and a Hot Chocolate for the lad. I still think their brews are one of the best coffee's around. Can't remember their mince pies, but I seem to remember having Stollen there after dragging No 1 son all across the Stray into town on a sledge 'cos it was easier than pushing his pram. Mind you this was back in the 90's.

Apart from going online and the queues getting longer, has Betty's changed since whenever? I just love the whole concept, especially the upstairs Rooms. Intelligent staff, the customer is always right, the murmur of polite, informed conversation, delicious and delicate tea, sandwiches and cakes, bone china, she adores you for taking her there ...

I LOVE Bettys! If I lived in Harrogate or moved back to York I reckon I'd put about two stone on!

Got Mrs TP a hamper for her birthday and everything in it was 10\10. In fact I don't think I've ever eaten or drank anything from there that wasn't 10\10. It's not cheap but is worth every penny.

I also ordered some loose leaf tea in the hamper. Their tea room blend is very nice indeed and the tea leaves are rolled into little balls which makes it much easier when cleaning the pot out (you know you're getting older when this becomes newsworthy!)

Back
Top Bottom