The best mince pies this year?

Was in Harrogate with our Dorris a few months ago.

Didn't bother with Betty's.

We're not really the afternoon tea type.

Looked busy though.
Busy is an understatement, especially at weekends it gets rammers, you can't move for Barbour, twin-sets and walking sticks. There's brass in them thar 'ills.

Am off to the website - I feel some xmas shopping coming on!

I had my first mince pie at a friends yesterday and it really wasn't great, sickly sweet and bland thin pastry from Waitrose.

Made my own moderately successful ones last year and will do so again, interweb recipe I thnk...50% lard/butter pastry and cut a good shop bought mincemeat with extra clementine, apple and zest, works great.

Heston's offerings from Waitrose are rather nice, but the similar to last year (if not the same), I believe. The tangerine sugar to dust them with smells lovely, which adds to the effect. BUT they are expensive.

I liked the ones from a couple of years ago with pine scented sugar, but they needed a couple of minutes in the oven to be at their best.

Tried the Co-op ones last night ate 2 the rest are going in the bin. They taste like they were filled with goo, the main taste was figs and they had no fruit (that I could find) in them at all. 1/10 just nasty, now on the avoid list.
M&S is in town so I may have to call in to try some of those !!

At a quid a box, did you really expect a different outcome? I just wish Betty would get a move on and bake mine - turns out the two boxes I ordered were not of six each but twelve. Oh well! These things happen.

M&S MPs were nice enough with plenty of fruit but quickly betrayed the structural integrity of a house of cards. The first attempt to extract from the case and they immediately folded. Best eaten with a spoon while wearing a pelican bib. 7/10

12 for £2 in Budgens,short crust ones.Mrs DT likes 'em,she canes them,she has had 6 today,so I think it is rather quantity over quality she is looking for...She says she will have the whole 12 by the end of the evening...:eek:
Fairly full of fruit mind,at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up,no horrible little hard bits either,she says,and she also likes them because they are not soggy on the bottom.
She prefers them to Mr Kipling's any day of the week,so in her eyes,he doesn't make exceeding good cakes....

Apparently,according to the household mince pie expert,the worst ones are the Tesco economy style mince pies,they have hard white fat bits in them,and they are really small and squashed like pancakes....She recons she has never bought them,but was given a pack by her cheapskate mother...

She likes the iced ones too,but finds them too sickly to eat more than 4 at a time....She recons the chocolate covered ones are horrible...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom