The Ashes

I'd be interested to know what Brad Haddin and Ricky Ponting had to say to Andrew Strauss as they departed the field at the close. I suspect it may have been along the lines of "Look, Andrew I'm sorry that we were absolute crap, we'll try a bit harder in the second innings to make a game of it. Please don't rack up a huge lead in the first innings because it'll just look bad for us".

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Regards

Ian

Perfect example of the need to use video evidence. Cook given out caught off his gloves. He refers the decision and the camera shows the ball hit him on the elbow - nowhere near his gloves.

Got a bit worried there.

147-1
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

More tea.

Fido said:
Here we go again. Started listening to the radio in bed at 3am. Now it's tea and TV.

Sometimes I hate this addiction.

Cricket.jpg

I bet it gets REALLY noisey in your house when there's dusting to be done :lol:

Ian

Funny you should mention that. You should see what's around the rest of the room! I'm on my own when it comes to cleaning and dusting. It takes 2 to 3 hours and doesn't get done too often.

I don't expect much sleep tonight. Two wickets before lunch might just do it, weather permitting. Then it will be down to the wire. Roll on the 10 day break before the third test.

Clearly there aren't many cricket fans here!

Decided on retiring as usual ready for an early start. Stirred at around 1 am. On with the radio just to check.

It was all over! We had wrapped it up early. I should have stayed up, but how's a chap to know?

Back to sleep, but the body clock's stuck, so the kettles on.

But:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1-0 England.

That was a fantastic performance by England, who outplayed Australia in every department. A very well deserved win, and Australia have problems all the way down the order. SImon Katitch may be out for the series, and they may have to recall Mitchell Johnson :shock: :D :D just to add some pace to a rather trundling attack which only has Ryan Harris capable of bowling at 90mph!

Spin? That's a laugh. Doherty was brought in to dismiss Pietersen. Which, to be fair, he did. But not after KP had scored 200+. Cue speculation that Australia may not play a spinner in Perth, which implies a wicket with bounce and a covering of grass. Which would suit England, even without Stuart Broad, as they can bring in Chris Tremlett, all 6'7" of him, who can do what no Australian bowler is currently capable of, namely bang the ball in from height - he releases the ball from around ten feet, at 90+mph. And if they do prepare a pitch for spin, keep Doherty in the side or call up Steve Smith - England have currently the world's best spinner, and can also use Monty.

Australia bat down to number seven. Even without Broad, England's tail is significantly shorter. All of Australia's batsmen, with the exception of Hussey and Haddin have issues. Australia's bowlers are short of pace and talent. Australia's captain looks like a hunted man.

Australia need to win two of the next three Tests.

Oh to be out there in the sunshine with the Barmy Army right now.

Regards

Ian

Very good performance. Shame Broad is going to miss the rest of the series but the form both teams are in it shouldn't make too much difference to the final result.

Fido said:

The joys of retired life Fido. Or are you one of those folk who suddenly find themselves busier than before they retired? I'm torn between wanting England to have it sown up by day 5 in Perth or still have it in the balance for the 4th test when I should be able to watch most of it.

Somewhat to my surprise, I'm really enjoying Vaughan's performance on TMS.

You couldn't say that about most former thick England captains who play the other round ball game.

Yellow Jim said:
Very good performance. Shame Broad is going to miss the rest of the series but the form both teams are in it shouldn't make too much difference to the final result.

Fido said:

The joys of retired life Fido. Or are you one of those folk who suddenly find themselves busier than before they retired? I'm torn between wanting England to have it sown up by day 5 in Perth or still have it in the balance for the 4th test when I should be able to watch most of it.

During my working years I seemed to be able to organise things to keep to a minimum the missing of major sporting events. In my youth I always had a radio in my office to keep up to date with scores. I had a shock one day when the boss rang me. "Put me through to Lords" he barked. "I have my spies you know" I was relieved he had a sense of humour.

My retirement is as busy as my working life. But even more fun.

Back
Top Bottom