Tablet info please

I've not tried Windows 10 yet, but both versions of the Linx have been around a little while so should've been available with 8.1. Might not be possible to go back, though, if it's already got 10 on.

We've bought a few for trial at work & the 8 seems very good for the money. Windows tablets can be a bit lacking in apps but will do all of the basics. We've got them for mobile workers to fill in forms while visiting sites. Holding them in 1 hand & typing using the on-screen keyboard works pretty well for small amounts of text. The 10 might be a bit heavy for that.

I found this review of the Linx 8, backs up what you have told me. Seems like a good option really and is running windows 8.1.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/linx-8-1291487/review

Have you ordered anything yet? I'm curious to see how you get on. In the early days of tablets, I just couldn't see why anyone would want one. Now, I wouldn't be without mine.

I have not ordered one yet as I have been waiting to see if my last paycheck was short from my old job. I got docked by about £200 unfortunately so Im flogging some stuff first. I had settled on the Linx 810 but a friend keeps trying to twist my arm to an ipad ha. Just found out that apple can now run Microsoft Office

I have not ordered one yet as I have been waiting to see if my last paycheck was short from my old job. I got docked by about £200 unfortunately so Im flogging some stuff first. I had settled on the Linx 810 but a friend keeps trying to twist my arm to an ipad ha. Just found out that apple can now run Microsoft Office
Surely an ipad would be more than a chromebook. I have an asus memo pad 7, which is fine for reading pdfs, searching the internet, streaming stuff to my tv via chromecast. It only has a wifi internet connection though. An ereader is much better for reading for long periods as it's not backlit so easier on the eyes. I heard some of the non kindle ones actually handle pdfs better.

I am starting university again in a few weeks and will use the tablet for looking at stuff quickly. I will probably print off articles I want to work on in more detail as I don't know a good way to make notes on pdfs. I might get a cheap laptop later for working in the library, it would be set up how I like and I could stay in one spot instead of moving between a PC and looking for books.

iPads come with a free Office-compatible office suite. It's not as full-featured (or bloated!) as Office, but depending on how many of the features you actually need it may well be enough.

Not if I can help it. I don't like subscription software - that I won't use that much, especially. I'm tying the purchase to a new credit card in the hope I've cooled down on this before I get the card.

A full version of Office would probably be the best option, but might be expensive. I'm running Office 2013 on a tablet and it's got features like being able to scribble notes over a document. I'm pretty sure you can install the free Open Office or LibreOffice onto a Linx, but not 100% sure. I'll try to blag one of test units here & give it a try.

Cheers for the help guys! I bought a student addition of office last year, I think I have 3 more years left so it should transfer over.
Cheers for checking if it works on the Linx, no bother if you dont have time or get chance though.

I did a test on the Linx 8, but the 7 and 10 will be the same. Both LibreOffice and Open Office installed & ran fine. They don't have any fancy touchscreen options, like Microsoft Office, but are fine for basic use.

If you just want to read books, look at PDF's and a do bit of browsing, movies or music then the HUDL2 is a perfectly fine and cheap travel companion. I got mine with the "double-up" offer on the clubcard points and a 20% off electronics they were promoting at the time - ended up costing me the princely sum of £1! Arguably the best quid I've ever spent.

I wouldn't like to attempt any office work on it though - or any tablet for that matter...I'm more of a comfy chair, keyboard and close to a kettle kind of guy for that stuff.

I did a test on the Linx 8, but the 7 and 10 will be the same. Both LibreOffice and Open Office installed & ran fine. They don't have any fancy touchscreen options, like Microsoft Office, but are fine for basic use.

Thanks for that, mucho appreciated. Its good to know office will work. The full shebang is not needed, only editting and notes really.
Again, cheers for helping.

Back
Top Bottom