Tablet info please

Chromebook here... using it now ;) I'd never buy another "laptop"
But if your just reading books, then a Kindle is the best bet...
I'm anti-apple, just don't like the way they do business, even though the products are the very stylish; so if you want a tablet I'd go android. If you want support then one of the big brands (I'd go NEXUS), but my kids have generic Android tablets and they work great for basic stuff (i.e. not 3d games)

I am likeing the chromebook idea but someone else thrown out the idea of a kindle.
Im liking the idea of a kindle now, I do keep jumping from one idea to another, this is what I do haha.
Rowlers, you suggest a kindle too, anybody else have experience of these? Can I read my own pdf's on them?

Just for reading on the Kindle's tough to beat, the screen is like reading off paper, very easy on the eyes and the battery lasts for weeks. Yes, you can read your own PDFs on it, and there is free software to convert other formats to MOBI which is the format the Kindle uses.

As for a tablet, I like my iPad. Go for wifi only, most smartphones can act as a hotspot if you need network access on the go. Speaking of which, what kind of phone do you have? If it's Android or an iPhone you'll already have a pretty good idea of what the respective tablet experience will be like.

I have an IPhone 5s and Im due for an upgrade in October, so I guess I will be getting the 6 or possibly the new one if it comes out.
Until now I have never wanted an Ipad as I've always had an iPhone, so it seemed pointless in getting a massive version of the phone.
The idea started off as just something that I could read from, maybe browse the web. Then I just thought of other things that I could do, as in type up work etc.

If you've got cash and a close by Apple Store, buy an iPad. They have a 14 day return policy as long as you haven't damaged it. You could experiment and if you don't like it take it back for a full refund. No risk.

Go for a e-reader with internet capabilities. Excellent for PDF reading with a VERY long battery lifetime. And at the same time you use it to do internet researches.

I use the Apple wireless keyboard and sometimes for long periods. You get used to it and is not any more difficult to use than a laptop, in most cases it's much better. Better build quality.

I agree with the above, the iPad is pretty good for typing on as tablets go, but anything longer than a short email you really want a keyboard for. You can get Bluetooth ones, but if you're going to be carrying a tablet and a keyboard you might as well have a laptop.

If you already have an iPhone then it would make sense to go with the iPad, any apps you've bought will carry over, and you already know how to use it. You should also consider how future updates may affect the device, my wife has a 2012 Nexus 7 and I had to hack around to revert it to Android 4 after the update to 5 made it so slow it was unusable. The old iPad 2s we have at work are running the latest version of IOS quite happily.

I just write my notes on my Tablet (Toshiba WT310) the digitiser screen and pen means it's very like just writing on paper unlike the fat tips for ordinary screens. If needed it can transcribe what you write into text but you have to write on lined "paper" for neat lines and more carefully than usual to minimise editing. I also find that I prefer a full OS to a telephone one but I need to run complex Excel workbooks and access databases. PDF wise I haven't found a mobile reader that does what I want - open multiple complex documents simultaneously and easily navigate through them so I end up using a desktop reader.

If it's just for reading, get an eReader of some sort. The eInk screen will be much easier on your eyes over time.

If you might want to do a bit of browsing & other things, go for a tablet. Lots of people recommending an iPad, but you don't need to spend that kind of money if it's only for a few simple tasks. If you want to be more businessy, the Linx tablets run Windows, so are decent for productivity. They come in different screen sizes. For mostly reading, I'd gor a smaller size (7" or 8"), if you're likely to do much work on it, get a bigger screen (10").

If it's more for personal use, get an Android tablet. My missus uses a Kobo tablet with a 7" screen, which is light enough to hold for reading for a while, but can be used for a bit of browsing & email. I've got a Lenovo with a 10.1" screen and it's very good for browsing and a bit of typing with the on-screen keyboard. If you want to go mad, a little USB keyboard is peanuts.

All under £150.

I seem to have gotten ahead of myself as I have been given a lot of great info but with going back to my budget I can't afford a laptop, even if that does seem like the best option?
So all I want is something to store books and pdfs, able to browse the net but only for 'home work' as in research. If I could watch movies and such then that would be a bonus but not nessecary.
Having looked at Kindle paperwhite, it seemed like a good option but pdfs seem clumsy on the device.
So I've narrowed it down to a Kindle Fire HD 7 or a Link 8 which comes with windows 8. Theres a bigger version that has windows 10 too.

If it's just for reading, get an eReader of some sort. The eInk screen will be much easier on your eyes over time.

If you might want to do a bit of browsing & other things, go for a tablet. Lots of people recommending an iPad, but you don't need to spend that kind of money if it's only for a few simple tasks. If you want to be more businessy, the Linx tablets run Windows, so are decent for productivity. They come in different screen sizes. For mostly reading, I'd gor a smaller size (7" or 8"), if you're likely to do much work on it, get a bigger screen (10").

If it's more for personal use, get an Android tablet. My missus uses a Kobo tablet with a 7" screen, which is light enough to hold for reading for a while, but can be used for a bit of browsing & email. I've got a Lenovo with a 10.1" screen and it's very good for browsing and a bit of typing with the on-screen keyboard. If you want to go mad, a little USB keyboard is peanuts.

All under £150.

I have looked at the Linx, not heard of them but they look like a good option.
On my laptop it runs windows 8, which the Linx 8 does but the Linx 10 runs windows 10.
Do you have an opinion on which windows to run? Not sure if 10 will clash with my laptop if I link them.
As for work, its not neccesary to type a lot but Iay want to at times, I can just leave that stuff till Im back home if necessary

I've not tried Windows 10 yet, but both versions of the Linx have been around a little while so should've been available with 8.1. Might not be possible to go back, though, if it's already got 10 on.

We've bought a few for trial at work & the 8 seems very good for the money. Windows tablets can be a bit lacking in apps but will do all of the basics. We've got them for mobile workers to fill in forms while visiting sites. Holding them in 1 hand & typing using the on-screen keyboard works pretty well for small amounts of text. The 10 might be a bit heavy for that.

Back
Top Bottom