Tablet info please

Hello,

I have recently just started a new job to which the company is paying and sending me to uni. Lucky, I know!
Uni will be in 2 or 3 week chunks due to working as well and I will be traveling back home at weekends.
So my idea is to buy a tablet and use it for reading books in pdf format, to save me lugging my crap laptop everywhere.
Having not owned a tablet or being up to date with computer tech, Im unsure what to look at.
First thoughts, a 32gb Ipad. Pretty damn expensive, I recon I could live with it being wifi only, Im sure if needed I could wander to a coffeeshop.
The price of an ipad puts me off, so can anyone reccomend a different brand, reading pdf's and possibly writing as well. Or does anyone think getting an Apple is the better option?
Sorry to be long winded but thought I better include an explanation to why Im looking at a tablet.
Cheers

How about getting a convertible laptop - one where you can detach the screen and take it with you as a tablet? I used to have a Dell one and rather liked it (before it got stolen....at a coffee shop :)).

Ipad every time. Having been in business for some time, I ditched the laptops for iPad and never looked back. I'm typing this on an iPad mini though, my favourite of them.

If yore just going to use it to read eBooks then near any tablet will work for you and your biggest decision point will be screen size 7,9,10,12 inches, etc

Thing is...after a while you may very well find that you want to use it for more than just that and that's when the Opeatting system can play a role. If you want something where you can use the same programs as you use on your laptop (or have this BE your laptop )then an iOS or Android based tablet might be too limiting and looking at something like a MS surface could be a contender

Any particular android? Or will any brand perform simular as it is the same platform.

I had not considered a detatchable laptop, Darkbulb. Will have a look, sorry to mention coffee shops and laptops

As you have ditched laptops, do you not find it a pain not to be able to use memory sticks etc.

Another Ipad vote eh.

I dont particularly have a budget, Im looking at the options to which I will raise to funds/brake out the credit card

I'd go notebook or small laptop personally. I can't get on with tablets, but if you can, I'd go for one of the better Android devices or a Microsoft Surface over an iPad (not that they are bad, rather just over priced). My wife has an iPad Mini and my son a Samsung Tab 4, both are good devices, but one is a lot cheaper than the other.

ChromeBook! Just thought I'd say it. Cheap, lightweight and monster battery life.

Chrome book is a good shout.

I've run on iPad only for the last 12 months or so and haven't needed a USB port as everything I need is cloud based. You need to work out if ports is a big deal, I tend to find many people want them "just in case" but haven't used them for donkeys.

I was planning on just reading but the more people give me advice and I go and look about, Im begining to think maybe I should just get rid of my laptop, which is heavy and shite, only a year old but stalls constantly.

I guess for a tablet a usb port may not be anything to worry about but if I make the switch over then maybe a chromebook would be a good shout as I do use an external hard drive and have a GoPro.

I was planning on just reading but the more people give me advice and I go and look about, Im begining to think maybe I should just get rid of my laptop, which is heavy and shite, only a year old but stalls constantly.

I guess for a tablet a usb port may not be anything to worry about but if I make the switch over then maybe a chromebook would be a good shout as I do use an external hard drive and have a GoPro.

There is a GoPro app for OS, great if you haven't got a GoPro with a LCD screen for lining up your shot. Perhaps not the best app and the delay to screen is a little more than I would like.

Exactly why I carry a Chromebook when I go to technobackwoods - lumping stuff from a (video) camera to an external drive. Having access to a "desktop" browser is useful too. All internet is via phone tether.

Back
Top Bottom