Synthetic versus Simpsons

Last edited:
I have a Razorock Big Bruce from italianbarber and I like it very much. The only synthetic I tried before was a body shop one and it wasn't as good. The big bruce works great with soaps and creams, had it for a couple of months now and used nothing else since I got it. Cheap as chips too.

I have a Razorock Big Bruce from italianbarber and I like it very much. The only synthetic I tried before was a body shop one and it wasn't as good. The big bruce works great with soaps and creams, had it for a couple of months now and used nothing else since I got it. Cheap as chips too.
I love my Big Bruce as well, but now I'm in the process of testing out a couple of Rubberset 400 replicas on synthetic knots one with a Plisson and the other with the Muhle.

Maggard synthetic brushes are fantastic and at $13 and $4 posted to the UK its a no brainer.Softer than any badger brush and don't need to make up obscure names for the knots. Much like the iPhone has dominated the market the synthetic brush is about to do the same in the brush world lol if it hasn't already.

P.S. that's just my opinion btw. If my opinion stinks then please tell me.

Last edited:
Maggard synthetic brushes are fantastic and at $13 and $4 posted to the UK its a no brainer.Softer than any badger brush and don't need to make up obscure names for the knots. Much like the iPhone has dominated the market the synthetic brush is about to do the same in the brush world lol if it hasn't already.

P.S. that's just my opinion btw. If my opinion stinks then please tell me.
I agree with this. My synthetics IMO are far better than my 2 band badger, create more lather with less cream no matter how you do it and dry out much faster. No fear of mold either. The feel on the face is second to none.

Hello
My father is delighted with his epsilon synthtic i offered him at Xmas.
But after comparing my muhle silver fibre to my colonel in brst of my persian jar in super, i don't like my synthe's feel. Too synthetic .......i mean tou feel it is not natural behaviour and prefer far better the badger, whatever if best or super...

face feel is the thing that has a lot of people hesitant. I love love love love love my vintage ever ready k40 pure badger, but to get anything close to that quality today.. I need to look at silver tip at a bare minimum. this is what brush makers have told me.

now the thing is, the abusability of the synthetic is nice, but most of the reviews would put the flop/springiness right at the same amount as my omega 49 or 48 boar brush. and for me that is way way to much. even when I bowl lathered, that brush would spray pain the mirror when I applied lather.

but the van der hagen "badger" I had, was floppier then a fist full of over cooked ramen noodles.

Recently purchased a Muhle Sophist Silvertip Fibre Shaving Brush with African Blackwood Handle. My first try of a synthetic brush and I have found that it builds up a great lather and is easy to dry.
My only slightly adverse comment is that I would have liked it to have had a bit more backbone !
Have users of Synthetics on the Forum found this to be normal ?

P1060769_zpsbc4pcq0n.jpg

I have a Plisson, a Plissoft and a Muhle synthetic brushes and I agree that they make a great lather also with less soap and they are all fast dryers. The backbone I also agree is not as stiff as boars, horsehair or badger, but my 2 band silvertip badger has the same backbone as the synthetics. I don't really mind this lack of backbone as the superior lathering ability of the synthetic more than makes up for the soft backbone.

And IMO is way over priced for what is most likely a Chinese made Plissoft knot.
Absolute rubbish! I have Plissoft brushes and the knot in Chubby is in a different league! To start with it looks identical to silver badger, it's very dense, ultra soft, does not look synthetic (unlike Plissoft) and has great backbone. Worth ever penny. Read the reviews!!!

From what I read by knowledgeable reviewers it is the same Gen. 4 fiber that MÜHLE uses, which is most likely made in China. As well, many say it isn't worth a damn for face latherers as it's doesn't splay well. Regardless, I refuse to pay Savile Row prices for a Shanghai suit. Simpson's is merely dressing up the synthetic and selling it for premium badger prices. If they can sell it as such then kudos to them as it's a free market. No way in Hell however would I pay more than approx. 15 GBP for a store sold synthetic brush.

Back
Top Bottom