Super Smooth V2 Testers needed

This morning I had my first shave with the Russian Leather. I shaved in the shower twice WTG using the following setup:
Gillette Super Adjustable on 8
Fresh Polsilver blade
Bowl lathered with the shaving room bowl using a Razor Rock Synthetic Monster
As I said before the soap has a good scent, very much like Imperial Leather but with another note added in there somewhere.
It lathered up well and I got a good yoghurt like thickness on both passes, there was a very slight tail off but not by much. Protection and slickness felt a lot better than the last batch, I did get a nick but I think that's more the fault of my big nose rather than the soap.
Post shave felt great and moisturised.
I didn't get any adverse reactions that some have encountered even with soaping up my face again once I'd finished the shave and leaving it for a little while. Overall I'd rate this highly, good job Darron!

Reactions: Fox
Just checking in, been away with work all week & got back this morning. My samples have arrived, thank you.
I really like both scents, a lot, not sure which one I'll try first.
Looking forward to tomorrow's shave.

Weapons Selected:
  • Gillette #58
  • Personna Stainless (Made In England NOS) (3)
  • Nanny's Pre Shave Soap - OGBT
  • Maggards Purple Swirl 24mm Synth
  • Wickham Super Smooth V2 Lemon Cool
  • L'Oréal ASB
With exception of the soap, this is the set-up I've been using the last 3 days. I tried a little experiment and introduced the soap directly into a wet brush and face lathered like I would with a cream. Not entirely successful on the cushion front, however I will reserve comment until I've bowl lathered as I suspect the mode of use didn't help. Glide I thought was really spot on and afterwards, although I used a smidgen of balm, but could have easily gone without, the skin care being great. The only thing left to comment on for now is the scent. Certainly a good level of strength, but I can only concur with the previous references to citronella. Lemon and menthol is a difficult scent to shape in my opinion. Go too far the other way and it could smell medicinal. How about sherbet lemon?

Tonight was the Russian Leather

Tools of the Trade
Ever Ready 1914 Single Edge Razor
Gem Blade
Noxzema Preshave
Vintage Avon brush re-knotted synthetic
Shaving room bowl

The scent first of all on the Russian leather was very pleasant. I can't actually recall the scent of Imperial Leather so can't make any comparisons there. For me it was a great if not safe scent. Soapy Floral. Scent strength was medium from the sample but picked up some on lathering

The lather consistency seemed to be denser than the previous night with the lemon sample. More cushion. Produced loads of lather very easily.

3 pass shave with quite a few weepers but not putting that down to the soap.
Sold my single edge razors some time ago and regretted it and started buying SE again. First time using one in months hence the little weepers. User error

If I was to find one criticism of the soap I would say post shave. Did leave my face very dry and had to apply a balm

All in all a great soap there Darron.

Tested the Russian Leather on friday.

Took an almond size dollop and bowl lathered with my trusty SOC 2012 SE mixed knot.

It was very easy to create a nice thick lather and unlike last time it stayed nice and thick for all passes.

I haven't used Imperial Leather for years, but the scent did remind me of it.

Used a Feather Pro (2) in my King Cobra. This version provided excellent protection and cushion. 2 passes with touch ups with BBS results.

I rinsed off with water and let my face dry while I cleaned up.

Post shave, my face felt soft with no dryness. Almost like I had already applied a balm. Very impressive.

Unlike some of the others, I didn't have a reaction to anything in the soap.

Looking forward to trying the Lemon in a couple of days.

Wickham Super Smooth V2 Russian Leather - Shave #2
Today I had a terrible shave with the Russian Leather. I wish I could remember much about it, but the pain….
Rewind to this morning: what to have for breakfast? Porridge… microwave porridge… Ping… As I'm trying to blow on a small spoonful of the boiling hot stuff, to be able to perform a little taste test, a small lump of it falls off the spoon and lands just below my lower lip. Before I can get rid of it the damage is done… a small blister… juuuuust below the lower lip…
Fast forward to today's shave… Hot water on the blister… ouch.. Russian Leather whips up OK…. Shaving brush touches blister… damn it… I'm shaving over the blister… that hurts… I foolishly move the alum block over the blister… now that really hurts and is not recommended… how bad can Indian Old Spice aftershave be after that? Arrrrrgggghhhh…..
I think the Russian Leather performed well, but I wasn't able to pay attention… I'll try to be more helpful another day. :rolleyes:

What a step up from the first/last samples! Well done, Darron!

I used Lemon Cool, half sample transferred to a bowl. The scent hit right away - lovely lemony, just right.

Loaded easily, very quickly developed a thick, rich face lather which needed quite a bit of wetting. I used a clunky iKon SS Slant and got a shave to rival the Fusion and Goo of yesterday. Lots of slip, slick, slide and the all important after slide - lots and lots of that, too. Skin felt great after shaving but slapped on a/sand asb anyway, as I always do.

The scent was great for me - nice smell, not too strong but very definitely there. I did not get the 'Cool' part of the name.

Coolness - not there for me - or if it was, I did not notice it (concentrating on lather testing and the clunkiness of the razor).

Brilliant soap! Fantastic!

Note for Darron: would you please adjust my 1912 order to show I'm a Tester.

Last edited:
The Russian Leather sample lathered really well and with a slightly wetter mix felt very comfortable to shave with. Second impression is very positive indeed.

Again I used about 1/6 of the sample. This could have done 5 passes never mind the 3 I did.

Chose Russian Leather for 1st shave.
Scent:
Very floral, love it. The first thing that came to mind were the scent from the roses in my late mother's garden. This great scent lasted all though the shave.
Lather:
I smeared a thumbnail of the soft soap into my TSR bowl and lathered up very easily with my Cadman synthetic, adding water and working it easily into a copious thick lather which I like. 3 passes with no change in consistency.
Shave:
The 3 pass shave with an Ever Ready 1924/Rocnel handle w/GEM stainless on #9 was so comfortable with more than enough protection. Residual slickness was excellent, much better than the Royal Mint. Got a really close comfortable result. Post shave was however a touch dry so followed with a moisturiser.
Link to my SOTD.

I gave lemon cool a go this morning. Same thick lather as the Russian Leather from yesterday and I reckon that it could have taken more water.

I wasn't keen on the scent, there was something in with the lemon that didn't appeal. The scent seemed stronger smelling than the Russian leather which was better in my opinion.

I'm not keen on menthol and was expecting a strong menthol hit. Unfortunately I was disappointed to find no cooling at all and the previous royal mint had more of a cooling effect.

Nice performance but I think the scent could do with a tweak and the menthol looking at. If I bought this soap expecting a big menthol hit I would be disappointed. I'm not having a go, just making a point to prevent disappointed customers.

Just to also add that I had no reaction to this sample either.

Tried the Russian Leather today and most impressed with it. The scent I just can't get enough of, for me it could be slightly stronger but this is not a criticism. Used a pea sized amount and whipped up a decent amount of slick and smooth lather. Using an Ikon 102 slant I got a close comfortable shave which left my skin soft and smooth needing no balm. Very enjoyable shave with no irritation and to be honest I'll buy it even with no changes. Looking forward to trying the 1912 Russian Leather which I've pre-ordered :)

Last edited:
Received the samples while i was away, hard to tell just how similar to Imperial it is but it certainly invokes some memories
The Lemon does have a citronella/Sherbet lemon edge to it which isn't a bad thing!
Will use one in the morning

Shave number 2 today with the Russian Leather. I shaved in the bath with the following setup:
Gillette Super Adjustable on
Polsilver Blade on it's 2nd outing
Razor rock Plissoft Monster with the shaving room bowl
Cold water and Hai Karate for post shave. I find the Hai Karate compliments quite nicely with the soap.

Again a decent close shave, everything lathered up well with plenty of cushion and slickness.

Russian leather.
Face lathered with hot water.
No adverse reactions.
The scent is a cross between quinine and imperial leather. Like a barbershop soap. Reminds me of my grandad. It's nice gentlemanly scent that is warm and comforting.
I used about a sixth of the sample and needed way more water than I'm used to. This is a very thirsty soap !
Cushion, slickness and lather all very good. Post shave feel is again, dry and clean, but not very moisturising.
If I had any recommendations for this soap it would be improve the post shave moisturising. Otherwise very good.

Back
Top Bottom