Stupid Question Amnesty Thread

Either:

Why do razors (aside from the Feathers) not cover the sides of the blades, leaving them open to knick your ears, or

Why are blades made so wide they will extrude beyond the protection of the razor?

And thank you Ted Crilly, for letting us show our ignorance unflamed!

49er said:
Either:

Why do razors (aside from the Feathers) not cover the sides of the blades, leaving them open to knick your ears, or

Why are blades made so wide they will extrude beyond the protection of the razor?

There are other razors out there that cover the side tabs, such as the Wilkinson "Sticky". Not all DEs and blades are manufactured to the same tolerances so having the side tabs exposed allows you to make sure the cutting edges are aligned correctly in the razor before tightening it completely.

Blades have to have the tabs on the end to accommodate the centre bar present on some razor designs.

At one stage Gillette marketed them as a safety feature.

10303.gif

How's this answer:
The original gillette blades (three hole) had rounded ends.
In 1928 Autostrop was successfully selling razor blades that fit Gillettes.
The Autostrop design had aligning pins that fit into the four notches made by the little wings on the end of the blade, which were pretty rectangular, with the end wings.
Gillette then basically copied the Autostrop design, and was sued.
It was so nasty, and so appeared that Gillette would lose, that Gillette bought Autostrop outright.
Minor additional changes were made in the blade history to accomodate other head designs, including the addition of the 2, then 4 vertical slots, and the changing of the hole design.
The last change came in 1933, when indents were added to the four corners we spoke of earlier.
The DE blade shape has pretty much remained unchanged since then.
The flat end "wings" were actually advertised by Gillette as a "feature" that provided a more sure grip when changing blades than the previously rounded ends as provided on the 1904 - 1928 model.

Yes, I cced it.

I asked this in the SOTD thread, but it probably got lost in the run of posts.

Back in September, I bought a tube of TOBS Eton College from a small chemist in St Austell, while on holiday in Cornwall. I liked it a lot and as such used it up fairly quickly.

Last week, I took delivery of a pot of the same cream. I used it this morning, but the scent is different. It seemed much more citrusy than before, I remember it being muskier.

I'm thinking one of two things. Is there any reason the pot would have a different scent to the tube. I wouldn't have thought so, but you never know.

So could it be that it's been reformulating fairly recently and the tube I bought from the small chemist was old stock?

Yellow Jim said:
49er said:
Either:

There are other razors out there that cover the side tabs, such as the Wilkinson "Sticky". Not all DEs and blades are manufactured to the same tolerances so having the side tabs exposed allows you to make sure the cutting edges are aligned correctly in the razor before tightening it completely.

Blades have to have the tabs on the end to accommodate the centre bar present on some razor designs.

At one stage Gillette marketed them as a safety feature.

10303.gif

When I started DE looked at it and wondered why, then I thought, "Wait a minute it's easier to get the old blade out with the sides that way".

Ok, here goes.
Does anyone use the snapped in half double edge blades in their SE razors? See. Well it is a stupid question amnesty.
I tried this once and got a decent enough shave but it 'felt wrong' - the thinness and worry the blade wasn't secure enough. Any thoughts or experience? I haven't repeated the experience but it could save me buying loads of SE blades as I have tonnes of DE ones.

NotTheStig said:
Ok, here goes.
Does anyone use the snapped in half double edge blades in their SE razors? See. Well it is a stupid question amnesty.
I tried this once and got a decent enough shave but it 'felt wrong' - the thinness and worry the blade wasn't secure enough. Any thoughts or experience? I haven't repeated the experience but it could save me buying loads of SE blades as I have tonnes of DE ones.

Never tried a DE blade in an SE and all my DE blades have now been piffed or sold so now only have 6 and a bit boxes of SE blades :angel::angel:
Regards,
Pete

I've had a lot of time only hands recently to browse through old threads, and I thought that the idea of a 'stupid question amnesty' was a mighty fine one. So apologies for raising an old thread from the dead and here's my stupid question.

I've had a Kent BK2 for much longer than I've been a DE shaver, and I've never really used anything else. What is to be gained from a much more expensive brush, given that (a) the BK2 makes lather and spreads it around my face and (b) the top-priced Simpsons brushes are something like 8x the price of a new BK2?

I have a rotation of reasonably and economically priced brushes. The main difference I notice is the type of hair that's used in them. I enjoy the difference found in using horse one day then boar or badger or a combination brush the next day.
One of the main differences that I do see in higher priced brushes weight and material used for the handles. Increased cost there can make a difference. Atleast for me.

My turn...
What is Bay Rum?
I would hazard a guess that its got some rum in it, and perhaps bay leaves?
But is it an aftershave? A tonic? Skin conditioner? Does it replace AS? Complement AS? Do you drink it before or after shaving?

What is 'long' and 'short' open comb? Are the teeth longer/shorter or are we talking about the length of the handle that happens to be attached? If the former what do short and long teeth look like compared to one another?

Back
Top Bottom