Stupid Question Amnesty Thread

Blades (as are razors) are an entirely subjective area. What works well for you, wont for others.

What gives you a GR8 shave in one razor, will be mediocre in another.

Generally most people settle on a few in their rotation and then stock up when they see them at a good price. You may be one of the lucky ones who thinks SuperMax blades are great and get 5 good BBS shaves from them. So, yes - I suppose you should have been taking note what works well for you.

balidey said:
My question (which I think I know the answer to).
Started DE shaving a few months back. Bought a selection pack of blades for me to try out a few and find my favourite.
So my question is, should I have been making a note of what blades I'd been using, perhaps scoring them and writing it down somewhere so that when I eventually run out I know what to order.
Or does everyone else just keep buying selection packs.
I vaguely remember a blade being too aggressive for me, but that was months back now and I have no idea what it was. #facepalm smiley#

If writing down a rating of some sort for a blade helps you decide what is the best blade/razor combination for you then go ahead and do it.

I seem to recall someone else on here, maybe more, having a huge log of all soap/cream/razor/blade/brush combination.

The SOTD thread is also a log of what does and doesn't work for people :)

Father Ted said:
TWhat the hell is the difference between the 40's superspeed, the Aristocrat Jr, the Milord, the Rocket and the Ranger Tech.

I have been looking at photos of them all and apart from packaging can see no real difference between them.:huh:

What's doin buddy,

Never shaved with those Limey models, but the other three I can tell you about from experience.

The Milord and the 1940s type superspeed seem to me pretty identical shavewise. I don't get along with those types at all so I never use em in my rotation. Same holds true of the flare tips....the superspeed design in general actually isn't for me.

I've shaved with two different Ranger Tech razors and for some screwy reason they were both more user friendly to my technique or something. Believe me, the first time I tried the Ranger I was not optimistic about that thing resting on my face with a sharp blade. I was pretty surprised at the far from unpleasant experience, and I even have one in the arsenal that gets dragged out when it calls to me.

The Ranger has by far the best fit and finish of the three. It shines a bit brighter than the 1940s type, and I'm a sucker for no end caps. Anyway, it's the one I'd be looking for in that group. Really a pretty razor. The Milord plating was not the best and I usually see em with at least some of the head plating gone or very faint. Seems like they just don't wear that well, at least from my limited experience Plus, did I mention it shaves like a superspeed? It does.

A well known superspeed savant named MT Grayling wrote an amazing thread about all the superspeed models, complete with great pics. He felt that the 1941 Ranger build wasn't quite the same as the 1940s and later superspeed types.

Oh, I hope I didn't enable you in any way. Speaking of that, I believe hissingskunk has a Ranger Tech. I wonder how he ended up with that piece?

Martin

No worries Martin.
Ive been looking for a Ranger Tech to try for a little while. You know me an Techs (rolls eyes). So a TTO Tech kind of appeals, but then looking at them they look like the 40's Superspeed to me, and Ive had one of them and not really rated it. Still.... Its a Tech, and I purr like a walrus when I see one I dont have.
Might just stick with that slim adjustable for now. I do like it.

Father Ted said:
No worries Martin.
Ive been looking for a Ranger Tech to try for a little while.

Well hell, I can just send you mine to sample for yourself.

Let me know using the pm feature if that interests you at all.

Tickle tickle

Attachments

• ranger tech and box.jpg
    ranger tech and box.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 28
balidey said:
So my question is, should I have been making a note of what blades I'd been using, perhaps scoring them and writing it down somewhere so that when I eventually run out I know what to order.

Short of slagging them off on here (take a bow Treet), I've never written down a single word about razor blades I've tried so I wouldn't worry about it. If I shave with one box and think "they're nice" then I buy some more there and then. Simple as that. I only own 2 stashes of good blades now.

Okay so a stupid question from me: Why does it say "Do not wipe blade" on my blade envelopes? I'm guessing it's a safety thing so you don't slice your towel and your finger open at the same time, but I saw someone say something about it affecting blade performance.
Which is right?

Canuck said:
Okay so a stupid question from me: Why does it say "Do not wipe blade" on my blade envelopes? I'm guessing it's a safety thing so you don't slice your towel and your finger open at the same time, but I saw someone say something about it affecting blade performance.
Which is right?

ive done that, ruin a towel i mean, did it on a straight though

dodgy said:
Father Ted said:
No worries Martin.
Ive been looking for a Ranger Tech to try for a little while.

Well hell, I can just send you mine to sample for yourself.

Let me know using the pm feature if that interests you at all.

Tickle tickle

Beware FT when Marvins Monkeys have your address they don't forget it........:dodgy::dodgy:

May I start. There are 2 Rangers in the US.; '41- main difference is that it has no end caps while the '46 does. The handle configuration is a little different cosmetically than the '47 superspeed. The heads are all basically the same. Additions/corrections please...

I'm not sure if this is the type of stupid question the OP was intending, but I've often pondered this.

Before the widespread use of the internet, how did people get access to Traditional Soaps and Creams that we can now all get at the click of a button. Thinking specifically of the Jermyn Street/Mayfair brands such as GFT/TOBS/T&H/DRH, their image seems to be based on tradition and having been around since Victorian times. Yet if I were 20 years older (I'm 38) and had taken up DE shaving in the mid 1970's or even the 80's, how would I have been exposed to such product?

Did these products actually exist until relatively recently?

A second question has just crossed my mind having checked my Facebook page. I have quite a few shaving related 'likes' one of which is DR Harris. The following status has just appeared.

'With colder weather setting in, why not consider a warmer fragrance? Marlborough's woody notes will have you decking the halls in no time.'

I've also seen people talk about certain soaps and creams being seasonal.

What difference does it make in reality though? If I'm shaving in my bathroom, what does it matter what the weather is like outside and why would that determine my choice of cream? Surely I'm choosing on the basis of performance and scent - no soap is going to be any warmer than another?

Equally any fragrance I use is just a fragrance. Again, I see no direct correlation with fragrance and weather.

Father Ted said:
dodgy said:
Tickle tickle
Stop it.
The wife has been out all night and I have spent every minute trawling eBay US....

Ok, I'm sorry for any sorta enabling I mighta done purely accidental like. I guess that maybe was a little bit mean of me.

Well, the good thing about most Tech models is they're not too tough to come by....even the 1941 Ranger will show up fairly often for sale somewhere. Yeah, I can't think of any rare and beautiful Tech model or design, so you're lucky there. See that? I'm helping! No almost unobtainable Tech of any kind to lust after.....nice huh?

Martin

Oh crap........almost forgot something. It turns out I do recall a Tech version you may not have seen much of. I'll include a few pics just for the hell of it. Not such an ugly razor.

1941 Regent Tech with non correct case:

Attachments

• 1941 Aristo ebay 004 (Small).jpg
    1941 Aristo ebay 004 (Small).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 1941 Aristo ebay 005 (Small).jpg
    1941 Aristo ebay 005 (Small).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 1941 Aristo ebay 011 (Small).jpg
    1941 Aristo ebay 011 (Small).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 23
PavlovsDog said:
Before the widespread use of the internet, how did people get access to Traditional Soaps and Creams that we can now all get at the click of a button.

Well first off, some products would have been available in your chemists. For the premium brands:

PavlovsDog said:
Thinking specifically of the Jermyn Street/Mayfair brands such as GFT/TOBS/T&H/DRH, their image seems to be based on tradition and having been around since Victorian times...
how would I have been exposed to such product?

People went into the shop or they sent off for a catalogue by mail order, companies like TOBS used to produce a paper pamphlet (they still do in fact) and they'd advertise in gentlemens magazines* to encourage people to mail in. (*No sniggering at the back please).

Don't forget that about 13 million people live in Greater London so there were always thousands of regular customers for the St James shops and they've never struggled. People who like tradition (normally quite well off people) have always gravitated to St James whether it's for wine, cigars, shaving supplies, these shops have all existed for a long time.

PavlovsDog said:
Did these products actually exist until relatively recently?

Yes the companies have always existed, as have most of their products (with tweaks), the only exceptions being newer fragrances like 1805 say. The internet has just made it easier for the 3T's to sell even more.

Companies like Connaught of course are a direct result of internet selling.

PavlovsDog said:
I'm not sure if this is the type of stupid question the OP was intending,

ANY question at all that you have wondered about but thought - "If I ask that people will think Im a proper numpty for not knowing"

dodgy said:
Oh crap........almost forgot something. It turns out I do recall a Tech version you may not have seen much of.
1941 Regent Tech with non correct case:
Oh you cruel cruel man..... an hour before work, time to trawl eBay again!

Back
Top Bottom