Stupid Question Amnesty Thread

OK, one from me - do you chaps find that one XTG direction is closer to ATG than the other? I find that, once I've gone WTG, if I go XTG in one direction, I'll get a closer but more aggressive 2-pass shave than if I go XTG in the other direction.

Fido said:
Here's my stupid question:

Is face lathering, using a good scrub to create the lather, doing your skin more or less good than a gentle painting on of lather made in a bowl?

Prob more, if a good soap and not allergic to any of the content and depending on dry or oily skin!? But you're more likely to know, than I, since I almost only bowl lather.

chrisbell said:
OK, one from me - do you chaps find that one XTG direction is closer to ATG than the other? I find that, once I've gone WTG, if I go XTG in one direction, I'll get a closer but more aggressive 2-pass shave than if I go XTG in the other direction.

dont know about that i get a close shave with 3 passes wtg

first pass gets about 90-100% of it

2nd and 3rd pass just make face a lot smooth

Fido said:
Here's my stupid question:

Is face lathering, using a good scrub to create the lather, doing your skin more or less good than a gentle painting on of lather made in a bowl?
Horses for courses, I face lather 99% of the time either using a hard soap or a cream - mostly a hard soap. The lather isnt brilliant, but it does for me. If I bowl lather I can get a much larger quantity of creamy lather.
In terms of what its doing to my face (exfoliation vs gentle clean) I ant say I notice much difference. Every day I look in the mirror but cant see myself because of this old grey haired bugger getting in the way and looking back at me from the glass....

shanky887614 said:
chrisbell said:

dont know about that i get a close shave with 3 passes wtg

first pass gets about 90-100% of it

2nd and 3rd pass just make face a lot smooth

Certainly beard reduction is a central theory of single-blade shaving. My questionwas along the lines of "does anyone else find a difference between the two possible XTG passes in terms of closeness? My theory is that hair growth isn't absolutely N-S or E-W, so a pass that does go N-S or E-W isn't necessarily exactly XTG.

Chris: I know that for me, one XTG pass deserves another (going the opposite way) and that always seems nice and close, virtually like going against. I've not tried going XTG the "wrong" way just on it's own, but I might have to try it now and see.

I'd suspect that you're right about beard direction (organic, growing tissue doesn't like straight lines and uniformity after all) but I also suspect that just the one XTG pass will feel very similar whichever way you go, left or right. I suppose it's all reduction.

One more from me:

Are the blades for the women's Sensor Excel exactly the same as the men's? Wikipedia says the women's are wider but I'm not so sure. My wife wants an old Sensor Excel handle (the odd, oval shaped womanly one) but I can't find women's blades, only mens.

Fair enough.
There is a Black Super on the bay with a Q code but from the pics I couldnt be sure it really was a Q. As it is I have bought a boxed 62 Slim Adjustable with the right blade pack. Just need to track down a leaflet if I can.

Using Taylors creams as an example, are there any generic terms to differentiate between scents such as Avocado, Almond, Lavender (ie specific fragrances) versus 'named' products like Mr Taylor's, St James, Eton College etc.

Canuck said:
Okay so a stupid question from me: Why does it say "Do not wipe blade" on my blade envelopes? I'm guessing it's a safety thing so you don't slice your towel and your finger open at the same time, but I saw someone say something about it affecting blade performance.
Which is right?

Instructions that came with some of the older SE razors said to "To Hand Strop " the blade after washing it off. Even gave diagrams of how to do it on your 'palm' . SE/DE's were thicker then and it may be the recommendation changes with the thinner DE.
I still do hand stropping on SE and DE if I'm going to reuse them. Mainly a way of drying them off.

Johnus said:
Canuck said:
Okay so a stupid question from me: Why does it say "Do not wipe blade" on my blade envelopes? I'm guessing it's a safety thing so you don't slice your towel and your finger open at the same time, but I saw someone say something about it affecting blade performance.
Which is right?

Instructions that came with some of the older SE razors said to "To Hand Strop " the blade after washing it off. Even gave diagrams of how to do it on your 'palm' . SE/DE's were thicker then and it may be the recommendation changes with the thinner DE.
I still do hand stropping on SE and DE if I'm going to reuse them. Mainly a way of drying them off.

I hand strop if I feel a DE or SE blade pulls a little and usually I get a couple of more smooth moves out that blade, with the hand stropping. If done proper it's much the same as a "live" hanging leather strop for cut throats :D

here's my question on alum:
after shaving do you rinse your face, then apply alum; do you rinse your face, pat dry and apply wet alum or is there another way to apply?

bigsimes said:
here's my question on alum:
after shaving do you rinse your face, then apply alum; do you rinse your face, pat dry and apply wet alum or is there another way to apply?

I apply dry alum to wet face, but just because it preserves the alum block better. Dry it on your towel afterwards, it will last longer.

/Max

Back
Top Bottom