Sprouts

Martin, you can't just say 'peas' to a Brit and expect him to understand - we have six kinds - fresh (very rare), garden frozen(common), garden canned (less common but common) and then we move to the truly disgusting and ever popular - processed peas (canned, yeuk) and marrowfat peas (can't stand them even still inside the can (tin)) and mushy peas (a kind of thick, course, green-ish grey slime, also from a can). Mushy peas get more and more common and popular the further north you go in England and even into the haggis-eaters land.

I think mushy peas and sprouts are left over from WWII, when vitamins were badly thought of over here (along with taking a bath more than once a week). The trick was to start them cooking early enough - several hours at least. For Xmas, put the sprouts on at the same time as the turkey. Nothing left but roughage and they didn't taste of much either, except aluminium or cast iron (please note correct spelling, colonials).

Aaahh... mushy peas... now you're talking.
Not only do you boil them to death, but you soak them overnight with bicarbonate of soda... none of your tinned rubbish.

If any of our American cousins are shaking their heads at this, I have only one thing to say.... grits!

Bechet45 said:
Martin, you can't just say 'peas' to a Brit and expect him to understand - we have six kinds - fresh (very rare), garden frozen(common), garden canned (less common but common) and then we move to the truly disgusting and ever popular - processed peas (canned, yeuk) and marrowfat peas (can't stand them even still inside the can (tin)) and mushy peas (a kind of thick, course, green-ish grey slime, also from a can). Mushy peas get more and more common and popular the further north you go in England and even into the haggis-eaters land.

I think mushy peas and sprouts are left over from WWII, aluminium or cast iron (please note correct spelling, colonials).

Lots of good info there Carl......thanks. As usual, I had no clue what you goofy foreigners were up to with that veggie.

Heh, that 'mushy peas' thing was another thing I've noticed being popular with lots of members. In the past when reading some posts about em, I couldn't help but reflect on "What the hell are these people thinking?". Pretty good ammo for someone pointing to a disgusting UK food related product.

I love fresh peas and will often buy some at local farmers markets. Best way to eat em is raw, right from the shell. My favorites are the big English peas, picked early in the season before they become dull. Almost as sweet as the sugar snap, but much more fun to eat than those little things.

I appreciate the lesson,

Martin

Oh yeah....I saw your spelling of alluminumb.....very amusing. Sounds so funny when pronounced your way.

WiffWaff said:
If any of our American cousins are shaking their heads at this, I have only one thing to say.... grits!

Having not grown up in the Southern States (hillbilly country), I don't get the idea of grits at all. Of course I don't like any kinda hot cereal like Cream of Wheat or even oatmeal, so grits have no chance with me.

Bechet45 said:
Mushy peas get more and more common and popular the further north you go in England

Carl, if you don't mind providing a little more info on this,

So just guessing, but the people living in northern England are generally a bit more.... 'unpolished' shall we say, than others living south? Is it sorta like the hillbilly states here?

Thanks in advance for the lesson on UK social standings.

dodgy said:
Bechet45 said:
Mushy peas get more and more common and popular the further north you go in England

Carl, if you don't mind providing a little more info on this,

So just guessing, but the people living in northern England are generally a bit more.... 'unpolished' shall we say, than others living south? Is it sorta like the hillbilly states here?

Thanks in advance for the lesson on UK social standings.

Thin ice, treacle.

joe mcclaine said:
Thin ice, treacle.

Ok, I think maybe this is another UK culinary treat, but possibly not. Is the treacle poured over the thin ice like a kind of boring snow cone or Hawaiian shaved ice thing?

Not a bad guess, eh Vinnie?

AGIO said:
Pig Cat said:
AGIO said:
I'm a dirty northerner :icon_wink:, you cant beat mushy peas with a blob of mint sauce stirred in

And I think that's exactly what our dodgy friend is trying to do... :icon_razz:

Are all yanks dodgy ? :icon_razz:

Heh, you know PC, I asked Carl that as innocently as possible (sure thing). But yeah, maybe I do like stirring things up from time to time.

Here you go Dave..... something by Tex and Edna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU5htlNC4to

Not hillbillies, Martin - they live in the West Country - Northerners work harder, play harder, have more poverty and ill-health and die younger than the Southerners. They are friendly and down-to-earth and have incomprehensible accents. I think most of them live in the South now, anyway - economic migrants. The North is bitterly cold even in summer and very close to Scotland.

Now, if you want to talk unpolished .......

Bechet45 said:
Not hillbillies, Martin - they live in the West Country - Northerners work harder, play harder, have more poverty and ill-health and die younger than the Southerners. They are friendly and down-to-earth and have incomprehensible accents. I think most of them live in the South now, anyway - economic migrants. The North is bitterly cold even in summer and very close to Scotland.

Your not wrong there about the West Country Hillbillies. There is an element of them that marry a family relation, and take turns with the family teeth. I have also seen the locals filling cars up with red diesel and picking up road kill. I haven't seen any banjo players, I think they have used all their strings up for rabbit snares.

While I live in the West Country I'm not a "Proper local", We moved here a few years ago. But I have no excuse for being a Hampshire Hog. You also get the grockle treatment from a few of the Proper locals.

In the good ol USA when speaking of "unpolished" what about the in breeders Martin? You know the....."my mom is my sister" and the mountain boy's like the ones seen in the popular film deliverance "squeal like a pig boy"...don't they eat strange things?..... Like people, "Go on shoot him again for par (spoken through buck and black rotten teeth)

Northam Saint said:
Bechet45 said:

Your not wrong there about the West Country Hillbillies. There is an element of them that marry a family relation, and take turns with the family teeth. I have also seen the locals filling cars up with red diesel and picking up road kill. I haven't seen any banjo players, I think they have used all their strings up for rabbit snares.

Got it Carl,

Thanks again for making things clear since once again I had no clue about the various parts of the country and who lives where.

So it sounds like the North is kinda like coal mining country similar to West Virginia. Heh, according to the pretty amusing stuff the NS wrote about, the West Country area is more like the Southern states. I am guessing that not everyone sounds like David Niven.

Here's a famous Limey singing and doing a great job with a US cowboy song. Yes, I imagine he's from the West Country area. It's the way I talk when I wanna have some fun with certain people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6xna4xSDwY
Martin

I love fresh pea's out of the pod, not to fond of the well loved mushy pea, but strangely enough I love a Farrows giant marrow fat pea the texture and taste I find truly lovely, my first choice pea while eating the noble faggot, especially with a nice dash of vinegar.

Jamie.

Back
Top Bottom