Sprouts

Gairdner said:
Aye Brussel sprouts, Martin. 'Cept we don't mention Brussels round here these days......

Thanks buddy,

What threw me off was people saying they boiled em to death.Man, that's the best way to make em as unpleasant to eat as possible. Till they're mushy? Oy, that's good eatin.

Way I prepare em is use a good sized plastic microwave bag filled with maybe a pound of peeled sprouts (do you guys peel off the top leaves at least?) and a quarter cup of water. Partially seal the zip lock feature and then give it maybe 5-6 minutes to start with in the microwave oven. See what the texture's like and take it from there till done to your liking.

Some melted butter with garlic sauteed in it goes on top of the drained sprouts ( Guessing that you guys bother draining those). Nice bright color and quick to prepare.

Martin

Crunchy veg?

It'll never catch on.

It's Sunday lunch, it doesn't need poncing about with. Nothing needs to be par boiled, blanched or souted. We leave that to TV chefs and the gays.

joe mcclaine said:
Crunchy veg?

It'll never catch on.

It's Sunday lunch, it doesn't need poncing about with. Nothing needs to be par boiled, blanched or souted. We leave that to TV chefs and the gays.

You know, I believe there's lots of people who think just that way, but I ain't one of em. The right texture's as important as the taste to me in most, but not all fruits and vegetables.

Now when I was growing up, I flat out despised asparagus. My mom would serve it sometimes and it was truly disgusting. Very little color left in the stalks of this canned limp as a rope stuff. Yeah, canned asparagus is really something else.

Wasn't till I was a teen ager that I tried some fresh stuff that wasn't done to death. What a damn revelation that was! Loved it from the first.

I eat frozen peas and very occasionally tinned peas but that's it. I don't do no death boilin' and-a veg killin'. You kill my veg, sucka? Over cooked pasta, that's another ferkin' sin! And while we're at it, scrambled eggs made with milk and cooked till it bounces - arrghh!!!!

Re: RE: Sprouts

Gairdner said:
I eat frozen peas and very occasionally tinned peas but that's it. I don't do no death boilin' and-a veg killin'. You kill my veg, sucka? Over cooked pasta, that's another ferkin' sin! And while we're at it, scrambled eggs made with milk and cooked till it bounces - arrghh!!!!

We could almost co habit, except for the tinned peas. No tinned peas Arkwright.

Gairdner said:
And while we're at it, scrambled eggs made with milk and cooked till it bounces - arrghh!!!!

Perfect scrambled eggs have cream and salt added to the eggs while being whipped. There's some kinda magical chemical reaction when those three ingredients are mixed together. Those kinda eggs NEED to be firm for me to even consider eating em, and I love scrambled eggs. A sloppy texture makes me gag.....eeeeks!

dodgy said:
Gairdner said:
And while we're at it, scrambled eggs made with milk and cooked till it bounces - arrghh!!!!

Perfect scrambled eggs have cream and salt added to the eggs while being whipped. There's some kinda magical chemical reaction when those three ingredients are mixed together. Those kinda eggs NEED to be firm for me to even consider eating em, and I love scrambled eggs. A sloppy texture makes me gag.....eeeeks!

I heard that a guy from your neck of the woods pioneered the perfect scrambled egg. I think his name was Peter T. Hooper or something like that.

Delia's How to Cook Book One for scrambled eggs.

Gladys, I only occasionally nip into the shop for a t-t-t-tin of p-p-peas if they're past the sell by date. I take a half p-penny off first but if we're still left with some then I ain't th-th-throwin' them out.

Re: RE: Sprouts

Lose the beard said:
Gairdner said:

We could almost co habit, except for the tinned peas. No tinned peas Arkwright.
Give peas a chance

Back
Top Bottom