SOTD Saturday 3rd September - Friday 9th September

Pre shave oil,
Maca Root shaving cream,
Merkur Futur on 3,
Wilkinson sword blade (3)
Thayers witch hazel,
Lucky Tiger,
Nivea Men

Last nights shave was awful, and I am too inexperienced to know what went wrong, the first pass went ok, as did the second, but by the third, irritation had set in, so much so that I gave up, so by the time I had finished, I had a face like a baboons arse,
the only thing i had changed from the last shave, is the shaving cream, though it seemed a lovely cream,

my only ideas, are that maybe the blade had dulled, and I had put more pressure on the razor, either that or it's something in the maca root, up until then I have been using Proraso white,

fortunately it has calmed down by this morning.
Or maybe you made the common mistake that even the most experienced wet shavers make...shaving over areas where there is no soap? It only take a mildly aggressive blade/razor. It's probable that it's the most experienced shavers do this due to overconfidence...I know I do it far too often and end up regretting it!;):(:)

This morning's shave...not too much beard so it was a quick one:

Prep: Glyce soap wash / GFT Lime skin food
Shave: Bath House Cuban Cedar & Lime soap / Cadman 'Burki Bell' Custom / Merkur 34CHD + Voskhod (2)
Post: Coal Tar wash / Cold wash + alum / Meisner Tremonia Dark Limes splash / GFT Skin Food balm

Lovely soap...I tend to have a thing for lime-based shaving stuff:):)

shave.jpg

IMHO emit the Maca root cream, your skin type could disagree with certain component's in the cream..you don't want your face looking like a baboons arse every time you have a 3 pass shave..stick with what has gave you good results up to now.Regards.
Good information but if you change two things at once, blade and cream and you get a good result you are still going to be none the wiser to what made it better and as Ian said he had suspected his blade so that would be the best place to start, you can only find out what the problem may have been by changing one thing at a time. Or change the cream only but shaving with a suspected dull blade even without the Maca root is still going to produce irritation .

The fifth SR shave and the best one so far! I did a full two passes on the face last night and came away with a very decent result. Only a couple of spots needed touching up (top lip and chin) the rest of my face was smooth, one tiny nick just under my nose. The Clog-pruf did a great job with the single pass on my neck. I've only been doing single passes on my neck recently and this has been working well, the Clog-pruf performs nicely and also cleaned up the couple of areas on my face a good'un.

I think I've found my new favourite soap. 1912 cashmere smells bloody lovely and lathers very well indeed too. Was a happy bunny last night. Thanks @Fox

My most satisfying SR shave so far and I'm starting to understand the beast, but a long way to go. The AS has a bit of sting on the face mind!!

- Le Grelot (P.Hospital) 5/8 3/4 hollow
- GEM MM Clog-Pruf
- Omega Professional 49
- 1912 Cashmere
- Thayers Aloe WH
- Speick AB
- Speick AS

e6b8f1dbc64a6c8ae1f661eaefa4c425.jpg

Good information but if you change two things at once, blade and cream and you get a good result you are still going to be none the wiser to what made it better and as Ian said he had suspected his blade so that would be the best place to start, you can only find out what the problem may have been by changing one thing at a time. Or change the cream only but shaving with a suspected dull blade even without the Maca root is still going to produce irritation .

Wise words, and this is what I plan on doing, it's either the blade, or the cream, if it is the cream, then i will be disappointed, as I liked it, and it was a birthday present,

The baboons arse look is not a very good look.

Hot Towel, Wickham's 1912 Cashmere, Omega 48, Merkur 39C, Astra SS (3), Cold Towel.

Wonderful stuff today, the 1912 lather benefits from being ever so slightly wetter (for me) than when it first develops 'that sheen' to get the very best from it.

View attachment 20607
You can see the gloss on that lather even with a black and white pic, beautful !

Morning/Evening all

Today's formula:
Face wash with Bulldog
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Disruptor 22mm
Cream: TOBS Sandalwood
Razor: Merkur 34cHD
Blade: Personna Israeli Red #1
Face lather, cold water razor rinse and face rinse between passes
Smell: Tabac a/s
Music: Steve Reich Music for 18 Musicians

Nice 3 pass drama free shave today. The Merkur/ Personna combo always provides a comfortable, close smooth shave and result for me. With the majority of my shaves, the alum lets its presence be known; usually a slight 'tingle' (not enough to warrant re-examining my technique). But with the IRs, there's no sensation at all; like running a cold, wet smooth stone over the face.

Nice retro smell with the Tabac; nostalgia and all that.

Have a fantastic day/evening everyone.

Stephen.20160907_093955.jpg

Greetings

Wednesday 7th September 2016
Prep: Shower
Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog-pruf
Blade: GEM Blue Star Carbon
Brush: Muhle Synthetic XL
Soap: Vitos Extra Super
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDP: Miller Harris Le Petit Grain

This mornings Miller Harris is a fragrance marketed towards men, I think this is not really any more male than the female offerings from this house it is to my nose equally suited to either gender. This one is very light summery citrus, the dry down is very sharp but soon fades. It may be that I am am suffering from olfactory overload but I strongly suspect all of these Miller Harris offerings whilst beautiful perfumes are very short of any real longevity and they certainly have little sillage. Perhaps it is the case that I am just too unsophisticated to appreciate very gentle delicate intricate fragrances.

To sum up this fragrance if you want something light summery office friendly zingy and sophisticated you will very probably like this one.

Regards
Dick.

7.9.16.JPG

The fifth SR shave and the best one so far! I did a full two passes on the face last night and came away with a very decent result. Only a couple of spots needed touching up (top lip and chin) the rest of my face was smooth, one tiny nick just under my nose. The Clog-pruf did a great job with the single pass on my neck. I've only been doing single passes on my neck recently and this has been working well, the Clog-pruf performs nicely and also cleaned up the couple of areas on my face a good'un.

I think I've found my new favourite soap. 1912 cashmere smells bloody lovely and lathers very well indeed too. Was a happy bunny last night. Thanks @Fox

My most satisfying SR shave so far and I'm starting to understand the beast, but a long way to go. The AS has a bit of sting on the face mind!!

- Le Grelot (P.Hospital) 5/8 3/4 hollow
- GEM MM Clog-Pruf
- Omega Professional 49
- 1912 Cashmere
- Thayers Aloe WH
- Speick AB
- Speick AS

e6b8f1dbc64a6c8ae1f661eaefa4c425.jpg
My desire for that soap, in that fragrance, is now bordering on the obscene...

My desire for that soap, in that fragrance, is now bordering on the obscene...
It really is nice, I can't add much to what others and I have said, it's my new fave... I am a little annoyed I used it first actually as now the other four 1912 scents I have to try have a huge amount to live up to and I don't know if they'll beat it! Should have kept it as the crowning jewel :p

Greetings

Wednesday 7th September 2016
Prep: Shower
Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog-pruf
Blade: GEM Blue Star Carbon
Brush: Muhle Synthetic XL
Soap: Vitos Extra Super
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDP: Miller Harris Le Petit Grain

This mornings Miller Harris is a fragrance marketed towards men, I think this is not really any more male than the female offerings from this house it is to my nose equally suited to either gender. This one is very light summery citrus, the dry down is very sharp but soon fades. It may be that I am am suffering from olfactory overload but I strongly suspect all of these Miller Harris offerings whilst beautiful perfumes are very short of any real longevity and they certainly have little sillage. Perhaps it is the case that I am just too unsophisticated to appreciate very gentle delicate intricate fragrances.

To sum up this fragrance if you want something light summery office friendly zingy and sophisticated you will very probably like this one.

Regards
Dick.

View attachment 20613
Clog-pruf buddies "high five"

Back
Top Bottom