SotD: Saturday 3rd May - Friday 9th May, 2014

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso pre-shave - sensitive
Soap: Stirling Bay Rum
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Brush: MÜHLE Kosmo silvertip synthetic
Razor: Gillette Contour Plus
After: Barbershop Bay Rum, Coral Skin Food ASB

In preparation for travelling with only hand luggage I figured I should practice using a cartridge razor that I haven't used for 10 to 20 years. So out came the Gillette Contour Plus with aluminium handle. Surprisingly elegant long handle with knurling where your fingertips go. I thought this'd be a walk in the park so after a perfect Stirling lather I set about it. This thing just wouldn't cut or I'd completely forgotten how to use a cartridge razor. How much pressure did I used to use? I tried a little harder pressure but the thing kept jumping and pulling. This was a new cartridge albeit probably over 10 years old, maybe it'd gone blunt.
After half a pass WTG I gave up and loaded up my ATT with a new Gillette Rubie PP and Wow what a difference! Perhaps one of my all time best shaves! This combination is a winner for me. First time using this blade and it ticked all the boxes. Sharp, smooth, noisy and no irritation at all. This could be my next blade bulk buy.

I still need a cartridge razor for travelling so might have to buy some new cartridges but then again I might have a try of the Indian Gillette Guard, sounds like more fun.

Nearly the weekend, folks.

SOTD20140509_zpsa95214f2.jpg

This changed to:
SOTD20140509B_zps4b781dfc.jpg

Prep: Shower, warm cloth
Pre: Almond oil
Soap: Wickham Club Cola
Brush: Omega 49
Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: Bolzano superinox inossidabile (2)

Still working through my blade sample pack. Bolzano's aren't in my top 3 blades, they're giving me a close shave but a bit of irritation/burn so that I'm having to use WH to soothe. Only have treet, Yellow 7 o'clocks and Wilkinson sword left to go.

Proraso Green soap, face lathered
Omega 10098
Muhle R41
Gillette Super Thin (1)
Cold rinse, witch hazel
Proraso A/S lotion
Eucris

Had an hour to myself so took my time and had a lovely shave. Off out for the day with SWMBO and the ankle biter for a bit of lunch and shopping (for her, us boys will find a coffee shop to pass the time!)

Friday

Afternoon, everybody.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ89 with iKon Bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette Green (7)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: 1902 Menthol
Aftershave: Pashana

That's a week of top shaves.

Friday 05-09-14. MUSIC: Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZB57b3lPQE[/video]

84e81c80-a6c1-439b-9988-f8b899f0dd02_zps50a9d3ea.jpg

Aleppo soap - Rodney Neep Extra Silvertip 26X50 - Festher all stainless - Gillette Platinum #4 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Le Père Lucien LE 2014 - Alum block - Thayers Cucumber Toner - ASB Korres - ASL Pitralon Classic.

Friday, May 9th, 2014

Friday, May 9th, 2014

165529d1399646659-sun-may-04th-sat-may-10th-sotd-09052014.jpg

Mastro Livi Kamisori: a Perfect Shave

• Pre-shave: Proraso Green Pre-Shave Cream
  • Soap: Proraso Red Tube Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Omega Bristle Brush 49
  • Bowl: Chinese Cheap Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Kamisori, 13/16 French Point, Hakapella Damasteel, Abalone Handle
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Razorguy Bay Rum After Shave

p.b said:
Hi - how do you find the Catie's Bubbles? I have two coming my way (once through customs...) Paul

The soaps easy to lather, scent is a decent strength and the lather's slick and has a decent cushion, all that you could ask for really. The tubs are 8oz on the French style soaps so quite a lot for your money. I have a Rose in stock and the Rosee de Matin on route.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded butterscotch Simpsons best
Schick F type injector/Gillette Platinum Plus (NOS)
vintage Myrurgia shave stick (thanks Good Doctor)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Armani 'eau pour homme' EdT (vintage juice)

Second time using this stick.....another crazy Spanish enabling attempt. Sliced off three thin pieces and stuck em to the bottom of a two cup glass bowl. It's on the soft side and easy to press down so it stays still while loading the brush. Heh, strange scent, like nothing I have sniffed before, yet somehow a little familiar. Yeah, it doesn't make sense I know.

First shave using it wasn't right because the lather was off. This time though I tweaked things and the lather was excellent. Yep, cut back on the water to start with and that helped when loading the soap. Did I mention the scent being odd? Well it is. Not unpleasant, just odd.

Performance was really good. Plenty of slip and the cushion was the way I like it. Nice thick lather that didn't break down during the 4 passes. Post shave skin are was good.

Not to enable anyone, but every time I use this goofy looking injector the damn thing amazes me. For the longest time I figured the adjustable couldn't be topped, but man oh man, talk about a perfect fit. Whacks whiskers like a much more aggressive razor would, but extremely mild on my face. Pretty crazy. Looking at the thing I thought there would be no chance in hell it would shave decently. Great flea market score.

BBS results,

Martin

Oh, the injector pics aren't mine.

Attachments

• f type beauty1 from matt at smf.jpg
    f type beauty1 from matt at smf.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 8
  • f type beauty2 from matt at smf.jpg
    f type beauty2 from matt at smf.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 10
  • marshall fields 2.jpg
    marshall fields 2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 9
Prep- Hot Towel with few drops of Dr Bonner's peppermint soap
Soap- Vulfix Lavender Cream
Brush-SOC
Razor- ATT Kronos R2
Blade- Gillette 7o'clock [4] palm stropped
Post- Alum, Thayers Unscented, Gillette Aloe Vera balm

Smashing shave, blade end of life so recycle bin for that, have a great Week-end.

Cold water splash
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger
ATT M1 / Bulldog handle
Gillette Super Thin (1)
Clinique Post-Shave Healer

After all this time I'm still having problems with MWF :( The lather breaks down to an airy froth and it dries on my skin before I can finish a complete pass. Admittedly I'm in a hard water area, but I'm starting to lose patience with this soap.

Back
Top Bottom