SotD: Saturday 3rd May - Friday 9th May, 2014

Molton Brown face wash
I Coloniali mango soap
Semogue 1305
Feather AS D2
Gillette super platinum (black)
Thayers original
Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Really liking the Feather but I needed to load the brush for longer as the lather was too thin for the third pass. Still, a great shave again from the Feather. If it keeps it up, it's the one.

Something just a little different for you tonight, lads ...

IMG_6090.JPG

Hot Towel
Wickham Soap Company Super Smooth Spice Trade
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Every Ready 1912 Bathroom Set - Rhino [3]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Alt Innsbruck Cologne

Bowl Lathered
Three Pass - WTG, XTG & ATG

First, the soap. Wickham Soap Company have another fantastic scent in their line-up. Spice Trade is a spicy little number, tip of the hat, ode to, whatever ... to Old Spice. Right there with all those warm spices, this soap jumps right in there in their champion Super Smooth formula. I gather this scent is destined for their hard soap formula, and it was a pleasure to try it out in the tried, tested and now production Super Smooth formula.

It's a good 'un!

Now, you're looking at that picture and thinking ... "that's a double edge blade, that is" ... and you'd be right in thinking that.

I cannot profess to be the man behind this, but I have in the past mused about snipping off the sides and the back edge to make a double edge fit. Well, double edge blades do fit - we ust need to trim the edges and to make them fit without potentially weakening the retaining clip, just pinch them. That pinch gives the right kink for the blade to fit into a single edge razor, do its thing and leave you very happy.

In a 1912, a double edge blade does not shave as close as it does in a double edge razor.

For me, that is a good thing. I get a close shave, and with three passes, it is very smooth, but not so close that I will be expecting possible ingrowers. This was a shave that just shaved! Very close, very smooth, but still have everything that a single edge shave should - smooth, comfortable and absolutely without issue.

Perfect!

FrankieG said:
After all this time I'm still having problems with MWF :( The lather breaks down to an airy froth and it dries on my skin before I can finish a complete pass. Admittedly I'm in a hard water area, but I'm starting to lose patience with this soap.
I'm with you there. I've tried over loading the brush, lathering in a bowl for what seems like forever, grating it and reforming it into the dish, using more water, using less water and face lathering. Sometimes it works really well, sometimes it sucks. It's got to be my most unreliable soap. I even preferred Trumper's Eucris soap, at least I knew it would never work; that's more reliable.
I'm too tight to chuck it but at least it's running out. Nice dish though and will be refilled with something else once it's gone.

p.s. Hope you're enjoying the ATT

Friday IX May

Gillette #58, Astor BiC Stainless
Simpsons Colonel X2L in Best
Palmolive Stick
Barbershop Bay Rum
Unrefined Shea Butter
James Bronnley Original EdT
Bounder's Moustache Wax

Revisiting the ultra cheap Palmolive stick was a surprisingly pleasant experience. I used to hate the scent vehemently as it reminded me somewhat of a sweaty chap who has hurriedly slapped on some cheap stink to try and hide his body odour; the unfortunate result being a mingling of both and worse than the original, honest sweat. Perhaps it is the passing of time or the carpeting of my top lip but although I am still no massive fan of the scent, it wasn't three-quarters as bad as I recall. Performance-wise, it was really out of this world and shames many a high end, expensive product. It is here and here it shall stay: a regular in my rotation but I'll use it as a stick rather than grating into a bowl. Fits nicely into my vintage nickel plate Regesan Shaving Stick container too.

fancontroller said:
FrankieG said:
After all this time I'm still having problems with MWF :( The lather breaks down to an airy froth and it dries on my skin before I can finish a complete pass. Admittedly I'm in a hard water area, but I'm starting to lose patience with this soap.
I'm with you there. I've tried over loading the brush, lathering in a bowl for what seems like forever, grating it and reforming it into the dish, using more water, using less water and face lathering. Sometimes it works really well, sometimes it sucks. It's got to be my most unreliable soap. I even preferred Trumper's Eucris soap, at least I knew it would never work; that's more reliable.
I'm too tight to chuck it but at least it's running out. Nice dish though and will be refilled with something else once it's gone.

p.s. Hope you're enjoying the ATT

That pretty much sums up my experience with MWF! I forgot that I tried adding a dollop of Palmolive cream once and that seemed to improve things. Maybe I should try that again as I love the clean, soapy scent of MWF.

As for the ATT, I've been using it for a week and we're still get acquainted. It gives a similar shave to my beloved Weber, perhaps offering a slightly closer and longer lasting shave, but the ATT is in another league as far as workmanship and finish and feels absolutely fantastic in the hand.

My answer to the MWF conundrum has been to make about 20 small holes in the puck with a match stick and pour into them about a tablespoon of glycerine. I'm hoping this ensures the soap absorbs the glycerine fully.

Back
Top Bottom