SOTD : Saturday 3rd February - Friday 9th February 2018.

Greetings All,

Monday shave

Four day's growth and warm shave

Preparation – Showered then face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)
Soap: Molton Brown Shaving soap
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4P)
Blade: Lord Rainbow (1st)
Brush: RazoRock 400 (face lather)

Post Shave: Hot then cold water rinse, Nivea 2 Phase followed by Michael Kors EDT.

Lord Rainbow Test
Day 1

Current rankings:
  1. Shark SS
  2. Lord Platinum
  3. Gillette Nacet
  4. Astra SP
  5. Dorco Stainless (New Platinum)
  6. Perma-Sharp Super
This week it's the turn of the Rainbow blade made by Lord. This blade feels thinner than the Lord Platinum but initial thought is that the blade is not as aggressive. It took several strokes on my first pass just to hack my whiskers down – all other blade completed this without issue. Moreover, the second and third passes each required a little extra buffing.

This blade is super mild and initially my concern is whether it will last several shaves – only time will tell.

In conclusion, the shave was un-eventful, no weepers and nearly BBS – good start.

Cheers,

Brian

IxayBdA.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S-1 Colossus
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: MÜHLE XL Synthetic
Lather: Stirling Bergamot Lavender
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

A couple days ago I was fortunate enough to have a fantastic shave before celebrating our 10th wedding and 20th overall anniversary.

I hope you all have a great start into the new week​
Nice one, Alfie. Congrats to you and your good lady.

Couldn't wait to try out some Wickham's after receiving some samples courtesy of @patw,...so first up was Irish Fern
Shower
BBA Face Wash
BBA Shave Oil
Wickham's Irish Fern
Simpson's Chubby 2 Badger
Fatboy/Polsilver Lodz
Thayer's Aloe unscented
AdP Colonia
Wickham's is everything that they say, lathers copiously, smells great, great cushion and glide,...skin felt great.
Post shave smell was lovely, so didn't spoil it with the Thayer's...
Light mist of Colonia, job done!

Thanks Pat:)

If the soap is 70g it's tallow.
View attachment 33131

Salter also make a 99g non tallow version
View attachment 33132

Greetings

I think, and I deliberately chose the word think, that all the Cyril Salter Soaps now made are veggie ones and made in the EU I believe they no longer sell the tallow version.

This is what I wrote about the matter last June; http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/com...cyril-salter-solid-shaving-soap-tallow.43572/

You will see that unless you have a trade account you can not actually get into the Cyril salter web site as they are not a retail supplier, you can get in via the back door, ie via links that have been posted on the net but once in you cannot navigate anywhere from where you land, you would need a computer boffin to explain why this is. The tallow soap is very good indeed but I fear (and I hope somebody proves me wrong) that it has joined other tallow soaps in the soap graveyard, something we have discussed more and more over the last year or so.

Regards
Dick

Couldn't wait to try out some Wickham's after receiving some samples courtesy of @patw,...so first up was Irish Fern
Shower
BBA Face Wash
BBA Shave Oil
Wickham's Irish Fern
Simpson's Chubby 2 Badger
Fatboy/Polsilver Lodz
Thayer's Aloe unscented
AdP Colonia
Wickham's is everything that they say, lathers copiously, smells great, great cushion and glide,...skin felt great.
Post shave smell was lovely, so didn't spoil it with the Thayer's...
Light mist of Colonia, job done!

Thanks Pat:)

Glad you enjoyed the Wickhams 1912 Chris,they really are superb.

Cheers for the tag buddy:)

Greetings

I think, and I deliberately chose the word think, that all the Cyril Salter Soaps now made are veggie ones and made in the EU I believe they no longer sell the tallow version.

This is what I wrote about the matter last June; http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/com...cyril-salter-solid-shaving-soap-tallow.43572/

You will see that unless you have a trade account you can not actually get into the Cyril salter web site as they are not a retail supplier, you can get in via the back door, ie via links that have been posted on the net but once in you cannot navigate anywhere from where you land, you would need a computer boffin to explain why this is. The tallow soap is very good indeed but I fear (and I hope somebody proves me wrong) that it has joined other tallow soaps in the soap graveyard, something we have discussed more and more over the last year or so.

Regards
Dick
I have had word back from Dan at The Shaving Shack who said the 70g pucks they sell are tallow and have been since 2016 and Paul from Connought Shaving has a tallow puck in a mug but none in stock as just tallow pucks but will be restocking in due course. So no need to worry, these have not gone to the tallow graveyard......yet! :)

Last edited:
SOTD: 050218
SOTD 050218.jpg

Blade: Polsilver SI
Razor: Gibbs #15 Adjustable (On Loan @Digimonkey )
Soap: Pheonix & Beau Star* Noir
Brush: Sterling Boar
EDT: Joop

The Gibbs and Polsilver combo was a perfect match for me. The razor set @#4 laughed at my two days growth and mowed it down in 2 passes with a little touch up to BBS.

P&B and Sterling offered a wonderful slick and thick creamy lather.

Finished with the balm and the glorious old skool Joop.

Enjoy your shaves! :)

Thanks for that, very helpful, I had looked at NorthShore as well.

As you suspected, my concerns were whether the matte looking finish would affect the glide.

Still not sure, fortunately I am not in a rush, the other option would be Rhodium from Razor Emporium, so it appears reasonably "stock" IYKWIM.

Cheers again, John
Anytime! The matte finish doesn't effect glide at all, you'd be very surprised by looking at it, lol. I personally like the colors from Delta Echo a bit better but the razor comes back in immaculate shape from both vendors with North Shore having a much faster turnaround. I plan on getting one of my Fat Boy razors rhodium plated at RE. Cheers!

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Castle Forbes pre-shave gel
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Cream: Proraso Green
Razor: Ever Ready 1912
Blade: Ted Pella Gem SS (5)
EdP: L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe

Another mentholated shave - this time with the venerable Proraso Green. Not quite as slick as the previously deployed Stirling lather, but no complaints.
Three passes for a DFS+. I've got to say that I'm really enjoying the 1912, now that I'm starting to dial in the angle and pressure.

DWPGjAsd_o.jpg

Simpsons Milk Churn Best Badger
Vintage Merkur
Supermax Blue Diamond Titanium (3)
Dusy Klar Kabinett
Thayers Rose, Nivea Balm & Extro Arzachena

A good shave but one side of the blade felt rough towards the end, might have damaged it somehow but it was the final use so in the blade bank it goes! Loving the Klar and Milk Churn, Simpsons certainly know how to make their brushes!!!

Back
Top Bottom