Sotd - Wednesday - 6/9

Razor - 1912
blade - Gem (5)
brush - Semogue 1305
soap - Tabac
post - witch hazel
a/s - Tabac
balm - Russian Vitamin F.

Result - great - a properly relaxing evening shave. On my own so I could mimsy about in the bathroom to my heart's content. Taking off a four day growth and the blade does not seem to be degrading at all in the 1912. It really is a good razor for me - two passes and out.

Round six of my 'no-artisan' experiment. Using only mass produced products. I think the Tabac qualifies - and it will be the exception that proves the rule compared to the software I have used so far. I am aware that asking yourself the question - 'is a tub of 20 euro soap ten times better than a tube of cream costing 2 euros' is an overly-simplistic and reductive approach to take. I fully understand why artisan soap makers have to charge more for their products - economy of scale principally I should imagine. Re-formulations must cost them proportionately much more - safety certificates etc - than a huge international cosmetic company. Certainly - when I get bored of this experiment the first things I reach for will be my OSP and Wickhams soaps and splashes. My interim findings are that - the real difference with an artisan product is the quality of scent - stronger, more identifiable and just more sophisticated. The other is the immediate post-shave face feel. This is harder for me to determine as I always follow up with a post-shave routine that I know will work. It sorts out any immediate dryness of my skin that I have felt with cheaper creams. The Tabac is the crossover point for me - it has an excellent scent and equally good face feel. Apart from anything else I have to use it once a week or I get withdrawal symptoms. The Russian balm is a top end product at any price.

Enjoy your shaves - yours - I.

Last edited:
Ha! Iain that's what we do. We 'mimsy' about! Great word. Is it used often in Scotland?

B. - It's a good word - it so perfectly explains the situation - almost onomatopoeic. I'm not sure how Scottish it is - it was invented by Lewis Carroll the poet and author - more common would be 'pottering about,' for the same thing. Like 'pfaffing about' but with more intent. It's your job to spread the word to London! - yours - I.

B. - It's a good word - it so perfectly explains the situation - almost onomatopoeic. I'm not sure how Scottish it is - it was invented by Lewis Carroll the poet and author - more common would be 'pottering about,' for the same thing. Like 'pfaffing about' but with more intent. It's your job to spread the word to London! - yours - I.
I love the word and shall use it when I can! :) P.

Job willingly accepted. My other half loves the word too.

Vigshaving 2 bands
RR The Dead Sea
Gillette Aristocrat 1946-47
Gillette Silver Blue
Lucky Tiger
ASL RR The Dead Sea

3da50922479310be699b6dd8960b19d7.jpg

Sotd - Wednesday - 6/9

Razor - 1912
blade - Gem (5)
brush - Semogue 1305
soap - Tabac
post - witch hazel
a/s - Tabac
balm - Russian Vitamin F.

Result - great - a properly relaxing evening shave. On my own so I could mimsy about in the bathroom to my heart's content. Taking off a four day growth and the blade does not seem to be degrading at all in the 1912. It really is a good razor for me - two passes and out.

Round six of my 'no-artisan' experiment. Using only mass produced products. I think the Tabac qualifies - and it will be the exception that proves the rule compared to the software I have used so far. I am aware that asking yourself the question - 'is a tub of 20 euro soap ten times better than a tube of cream costing 2 euros' is an overly-simplistic and reductive approach to take. I fully understand why artisan soap makers have to charge more for their products - economy of scale principally I should imagine. Re-formulations must cost them proportionately much more - safety certificates etc - than a huge international cosmetic company. Certainly - when I get bored of this experiment the first things I reach for will be my OSP and Wickhams soaps and splashes. My interim findings are that - the real difference with an artisan product is the quality of scent - stronger, more identifiable and just more sophisticated. The other is the immediate post-shave face feel. This is harder for me to determine as I always follow up with a post-shave routine that I know will work. It sorts out any immediate dryness of my skin that I have felt with cheaper creams. The Tabac is the crossover point for me - it has an excellent scent and equally good face feel. Apart from anything else I have to use it once a week or I get withdrawal symptoms. The Russian balm is a top end product at any price.

Enjoy your shaves - yours - I.
Couldn't agree more on the Tabac as a crossover, Ian. I think it is my favourite mass produced fellow. A desert island soap (assuming there's plenty Gem PTFE coated SEs, an English 1912 and fresh water) :)

Gillette Aristocrat 1946-47

Man, that's one of my very favorite non adjustable Gillettes. I like it so much there's one put away as a back up and one that gets wet. Shave to me is similar to the Diplomat and President.

Here's something I found that is kinda unusual when it comes to US made Aristos. It's a 1941 Regent Tech, discovered in the wild for a wonderful price. Tried it 3-4 times but it's not quite as gooda fit as I prefer. Might just be that particular razor or maybe they're all made that way. You will notice no end caps on this model and also the handle knurling's not quite like later Aristos.

Anyway, a few pics,

Attachments

• IMAG0211.jpg
    IMAG0211.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom