SOTD Saturday 2nd December 2017 - Friday 8th December 2017

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Agressia Sensitive
Razor: UFO Goliath / ATT S1
Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Silver (4)
EdT: Armaf Club De Nuit Intense

Using another of the Bulgarian Creams I picked up in recent travels. The Agressia, like other Bulgarian Creams I have tried, produces a dense and persistent lather. The trump card for the Agressia is the scent.
It has a lovely cologne scent - smells really classy and punching well above its modest price. The scent is a take on a popular modern Men's fragrance - I just can't quite identify it, but it is really nice.
Three passes for a DFS+. I'm starting to get the hang of the Slant - all up a very comfortable and close shave.
Finished with the Armaf Club De Nuit Intense. A couple of fellow wet shavers recommended this. Yes - it is similar to Aventus; I noticed this immediately. However, it has more apple than pineapple in the top notes, and also black current, balanced with citrus. It has a very elegant musk/woods dry down. It has good sillage and longevity, and, at least for me, represents amazing value for money.

Pre: Warm water face wash
Brush: Omega 20102 Boar
Soap: Stirling Sandalwood
Razor: ER 1924/Merkur 41C
Blade: Gem Blue Star
Post: Warm then cold water rinse, Stirling Sandalwood ASB
IMG_20171208_164252.jpg

Thought I'd try a slightly longer handle on the '24 and although it's also slightly heavier it didn't feel it, maybe because of the extra length. On this occasion I actually prefer the original handle.
The Stirling, containing two of my favourite words in soap (sandalwood & tallow), performed magnificently and the week was finished off with a great shave.

Last edited:
91UF6uAG_o.jpg

Vie Long 13061b
Gillette Rocket HD
Gillette Platinum (2)
PAA 11235
Boots Tea Tree WH, BBA Post Shave Balm & 4711 aftershave and cologne

The blade was lovely today, very smooth and comfortable. Love this soap, PAA make some superb stuff. Faultless Friday shave.

Smooth as anything, smelling good (not too overpowering) and feeling cooler than the man that you have to wait on in The Velvet Underground song...
Here he comes, he's all dressed in black,Beat up shoes and a big straw hat...
Thanks to you both, I've had a certain song going round my head all day.
Thought I'd mix it up with a version from Bowie:

The General is an excellent shaver. It really rewards you the more you use it. I've now sold mine (and the Stainless Steel version) as the AC blades were leave me feeling rough with some irritation.
If I got on with the blades it would definitely had been a keeper, shame.

Enjoy!
Sorry to hear that the blades did not work out for you. I'm lucky - did not enjoy the Feather Pro's when I started out with SE shaving, however, the Captain Tai Mild blades work a treat. I appreciate that Your Millage did vary.

Good thing about DE shaving, plenty of blade choice.

All the best,

Chris

Sorry to hear that the blades did not work out for you. I'm lucky - did not enjoy the Feather Pro's when I started out with SE shaving, however, the Captain Tai Mild blades work a treat. I appreciate that Your Millage did vary.

Good thing about DE shaving, plenty of blade choice.

All the best,

Chris

Hi Chris,
I tried many blades, thanks to @Acer89 .
I couldn't stand the Feather Pros. There's two types which worked for me. The Proline's and the Kai Protouch MG 'Pink'.

I've tried a few AC razors with The Cobra being the best I've used.

As I mentioned earlier I found my skin was feeling rough and tender using the AC blades no matter what razor I was using.

With regret I sold the Aluminium General. I really did enjoy using it. I would have the quickest shaves ever and love the weight and look of it.
I also sold the Stainless Steel General, which I was never really that enamoured with it if truth be told.
I found it too heavy and never totally sold on it's looks (yes I'm that shallow).
I did use it with a titanium handle and it was 'just right' but in the end I chose to move it on.

Luckily, as you say there is plenty of choice in this game.

I've found (Vintage) SE GEM style razors to be a revelation this year. Thanks to members @Blademonkey and @Boru62 who generously loaned a number to try.

I loved them all apart from one, the Streamline, beautiful but too aggressive for me I'm afraid.

If you haven't tried a SE razor I would highly recommend you do.
I was initially put off trying one after watching them in use on YouTube. I couldn't believe you could get a comfortable shave from something which had the sound of scraping toast for feedback but I was wrong, so wrong.

If you would like to borrow my Every Ready 1912 (a masterpiece) you are more than welcome. I can send you a few blades too?
Please drop me a PM if interested.

Sorry for going on.
Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
Razor: Blackland Bluebird (Blackbird) Delta Echo Finish
Blade: Pol Silver (1)
Brush: Oscar 11, w/Omega 10049 Boar
Soap: Oleo Montrose Beach
A/S: Myrsol Blue
Bowl: Boise Mudworks Blue

No issue 3 passes this afternoon with outstanding shaving gear. The bowl and soap work great together with the Oscar 11 lather machine.
Split some wood and got the woodstove going in advance some snow coming. I really like these blades, but I only have a couple left, so I may pick some up in the new year.
A little bit of a blue theme today. :)

8 12 17.jpg

Friday 8th December 2017
SOTD 8th Dec.JPG

Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Birch Sap Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: Cobra (on Loan)
Blade: Kamisori (#1)
Brush: Maseto 30mm finest fan shape
Soap: Fine Platinum
Post: Alum Block, Cold water and Thayers Lavender Witch Hazel
AS: Fine Platinum

First time using the Kamisori blade, there is no doubt it is a sharp blade and it is the first time I really noticed the Cobra giving audible feedback. I managed one tiny weeper under my chin but it cleared with the cold water rinse even before using Alum. Whille the Kamisori blade is sharp the smoothness varied, but no irritation, I will be trying this blade in my other SE razor for comparison. I was going to add some Armaf Club De Nuit Intense EDT which I acquired recently but it has been wrapped as it is going under the tree for Christmas.

Last edited:
Razor: Blackland Bluebird (Blackbird) Delta Echo Finish
Blade: Pol Silver (1)
Brush: Oscar 11, w/Omega 10049 Boar
Soap: Oleo Montrose Beach
A/S: Myrsol Blue
Bowl: Boise Mudworks Blue

No issue 3 passes this afternoon with outstanding shaving gear. The bowl and soap work great together with the Oscar 11 lather machine.
Split some wood and got the woodstove going in advance some snow coming. I really like these blades, but I only have a couple left, so I may pick some up in the new year.
A little bit of a blue theme today. :)

View attachment 31585
Lovely pic;)

Back
Top Bottom