SOTD: Saturday 28 October - Friday 3 November 2023.

SOTD 01 November 2023

Pre-shave:
Hot shower, Carbon Theory Charcoal and Tea Tree Oil Cleansing Bar, followed by cold water splash.
Soap: Tabac (orginal).
Brush: Simpsons 2 - Best Badger.
Razor: Blackland Dart.
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow (3).
Post: Cold water splash, D.R. Harris Pink Aftershave and Musgo Real After Shave Balm.

IMG_0105.jpg

I find the Blackland Dart beautifully balanced, however, it has a sweet spot, which if I miss, it is shaving rash and weeper galore. I am grateful to Shane @Blackland for responding to my email, asking for his views/tips on how to find the Dart's sweet spot. After followng his recommendation to work with a steep angle, I have not looked back. To be honest I was about to move on the Dart, but thankfully, all fell into place.

I did not shave yesterday, as I wanted to try the Dart on 2 days growth. An evening shave today - a sublime shave, after 1 WTG pass I was pleasantly surprised, almost BBS. A second pass XTG was no problem: the Tabac did its job - solid protection and decent shaving glide.

The D.R. Harris Pink Aftershave gave very little in the way of feedback, and the Musgo After Shave Balm soaked into the skin nicely.

I hope everyone stays safe in the days to come, and the projected storm brings no harm.

All the best,

Chris

SOTD: 2nd November 2023.

12.jpg

Shaving Recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Nivea Men Power 24H Fresh Effect Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Cien PURE Fragrance Free Sensitive Bar Soap.
Brush: Anbbas 24mm Synthetic.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl: Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.
Lather: Scottish Fine Shaving Soap.
Blade: Lord Silver Star. (D1)
Razor: EJ DE89. (Kelvin)

Cold water face wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse./Alum Rub./Cold Water Rinse./Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./L'0REAL Barber Club Reinforcing ASB./Brut ASL.

Greetings,

Early morning shave.

First shave of November 2023...For the whole duration of November I will be using the Edwin Jagger DE89 'kelvin' & Merkur 34C, for my face shaves, and the Supply V2 injector razor for my head & dome shaves.

My previous month focus has made me realise to get a proper feel of a razor/razors to appreciate it's performance strengths & weaknesses you have to use on a regular basis not just a few infrequent addition to your razor rotation each year.

The EJ DE89 'kelvin' is another razor that I've infrequently used that was graciously passed on to me by a work mate who tried out traditional wet shaving for a while but found it wasn't for him and returned to using cartridge razors.

Some people want instant successful results, and don't have patience for the learning curve when first crossing over to this way of shaving and expect too much too soon...Each to their own choices.

The EJ DE89 'kelvin' has the same head as my much loved Muhle R89, the only difference is the handle on the EJ (Kelvin) is shorter, of which i prefer and the price difference. Both razors perform near the same, the only difference in performance for me is the R89 feels marginally more efficient, but this could be the blade choice.

I consider either the EJ DE89 & Muhle R89 + the Merkur 34C are the only DE razors that most wet shavers really need. Yours truly included.

The build and performance of all of these entry level razors is fantastic IMHO I've said in many of my postings I would be happy to shave for the foreseeable future with either of these trusty stable shaving tools, but like most wet shavers I like variety with my razors & shave set ups....Adding to that since I've discovered SE/injector razors "vintage & new" it has furthered my passion & enjoyment I get from this traditional wet shaving hobby/pastime of mine.

I have returned to the Lord Silver Star Super Stainless made at the Sotraco plant in Egypt. They are my favourite DE blade from the Lord factory I find them to have a good balance of sharpness are super smooth, with a good longevity and have paired together wonderfully with every razor that I have paired them up with especially the EJ DE89, Muhle R89 & Merkur 34C.

An enjoyable comfortable 2 pass + pickups shave with no errors to report. Finishing the shave shave off with a generous splash of Brut ASL.

My face is feeling smooth and smelling divine. ;)

Stay safe, and enjoy your day ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

Last edited:
SOTD 02-Nov
20231101_153847 (1)-02.jpeg
Brush: Chubby 2 SiLVERTiP
Soap: B&M Leviathan
Razor: Koraat 6/8 14 2.0

That was excellent, I wasn't sure what the edge would be like straight from Ulrik but it is nothing to be sniffed at. Took down everything effortlessly and the balance and weight is perfect. Had to thank the Mrs again this morning for the gift.

Smooth, smelling good and a very happy man.

Hope everyone has a grand day.

Cheers

Marc

A bit of a fleeting visit here today as so much to do and a small eye operation I've waited three and half years for early tomorrow morning. So last night's shave arrives themed, 'A quickie around the back of the bike shed'

20231101_193814.jpg

Raleigh the razor - Ikon B1
Bianchi the blade - Wizamet Super Iridium
Brompton brush - Wee Whiskey Barrel
Specialized soap - York Swirling Soapery Arabian Dreams
Merida moisturiser - Nivea for men
Paganini perfume - Hermes terre
Protection by Durex

'And for those without a bike shed........'

A superlative effort from a wonderful shaving team. An Ikon with a Wizamet? My shaving heaven.

Have a fantastic day you fantastic forum folk and for those affected by the latest storm, be well and I wish you all the best. Of course, I love you all....

And some Band Maid to end on? Thank you for asking. Are they the most 'Around the back of the bike shed Japanese girly band?' Probably

Thursday 2nd November
General Steel - Feather Pro #3 - Zenith 506 - OSP Barbershop - Osmanli Lemon Cologne - Aloe Vera Gel
IMG-20231030-163945-01.jpg

Thursday 2nd November
First morning shave after getting back from a short five day trip to Holland. Today, Pearl Flexi, courtesy of @Boycie83. To recognise my jaunt to Holland, I tried the Dutch shave soap, also courtesy of @Boycie83, with the interesting name of Scheermonnik. I think the title relates to a cross eyed monk but don’t quote me! Simpson Emperor badger completed the team.
The pearl Flexi is extremely well made ( also a very big improvement on the original design) and clearly an unabashed copy of the Rex ambassador, albeit the latter is stainless steel and pearl satin coated brass. It is also a lot cheaper than the Rex. Blade used was a 4x Feather High Stainless.
2 passes on setting 3 of 6 and bbs achieved easily with minimum pick ups. For me, though Pearl performs equally as well as the Rex.
Have a fine, if very nice wet and windy day, fellas!

IMG_0359.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom