SOTD: Saturday 26th August-Friday 1st September 2017.

Friday AM 2017-09-01

Georgetown Pottery G20 Scuttle (Jet Black)
Elite Razor Reclaimed Poplar Manchurian White 2-Band (24mm/50mm)
Cussons Imperial Leather shaving soap (vintage)
Weber Polished Head/Triad Titanium Spiral
Wilkinson Light Brigade (9)
Penhaligon's Racquets Formula aftershave (vintage)
8e6L1Ol.jpg

Friday 1st SEptember 2017
sotd 1st sept.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + L'Oreal Pure Power Charcoal Face Wash
Razor: GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf
Blade: GEM PTFE (#1)
Brush: Maseto 30mm finest fan
Soap: Lea stick (Tallow)
AS: Nivea 2 Phase

First shave with the Clog Pruf, I picked this up a while ago but only got around to using it today, what great razor it is. It did feel a bit lightweight after using the Rocnel SE-G for the last five shaves, but by pass three it was feeling natural.

Last edited:
1/09/2017

My first SE shave for SEptember.....

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: Zenith B03-A26
Shaving Soap Sample: Maggard Orange Menthol
Bowl: Little Wren Pottery
Razor: RazoRock Hawk/Maggard MR6 Handle
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild (5)
Post shave: Fine L'Orange Noir Aftershave Splash
1a65cb50d465491cf6ba37bf8b955e79.jpg

In conjunction with with SE SEptember, I thought I might as well try out my sample soaps exclusive for the whole month too. First sample was Maggards Orange Menthol. Scent strength is about 3, the Menthol feel to the face was very light, however it paired well with the Kai blade and provided the required cushion and glide needed to execute a laid back 3 pass shave, WTG, XTG-L, XTG-R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I nearly pulled the trigger on a Zenith brush just like this. Would you recommend it? How does it compare with the Maseto?

Thanks in advance :)

Would I recommend one? The answer, not yet. I've only used it twice but I can give you my initial impressions.

For starters the packaging is the best I've come across. Ok so what does that say about the brush? Well it shows they care about quality and the details.
The handle has a decent weight to it and it's ergonomic.
This is my first butterscotch so I have no idea how it compares to any other 'classics' like a Simpsons. Although the photo on my SOTD has got a filter on it, it actually looks pretty close to that in the flesh. I would say it's closer to mustard than butterscotch.

Onto the knot. It's a 26mm with 55mm loft but feels bigger somehow. It's got decent backbone and good flow through. There is some scritch there, the most I've encountered from any brush I've bought. Saying that it isn't uncomfortable on the face.

As I said I've only used it twice so I'm hoping (from what I've read) the scritch will disappear with use.

How does it compare to a Maseto? I have a Finest and Silvertip, both 24mm.
I have to say the Maseto's perform better than the Zenith (at the time of writing).
They create a lather quicker and feel better on the face. The Maseto's are my favourite brushes at the moment and I'm luck to own some high end brushes (Thater, shavemac). You just can't argue with their performance.
Saying that the Zenith feels as though it will last longer.

Can I say hand on heart buy one? Not just yet but I don't think you would be disappointed if you did buy one either.

Hope this helps? If you need to know anything else just ask.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
Would I recommend one? The answer, not yet. I've only used it twice but I can give you my initial impressions.

For starters the packaging is the best I've come across. Ok so what does that say about the brush? Well it shows they care about quality and the details.
The handle has a decent heft to it and it's ergonomic. This is my first butterscotch so I have no idea how it compares to any other 'classics' like a Simpsons. Although the photo on my SOTD has got a filter on it, it actually looks pretty close to the colour in the flesh. I would say is closer to mustard than butterscotch.

Onto the knot. It's a 26mm but feels bigger somehow. Its got decent backbone and good flow through. There is some scritch there, the most I've encountered from any brush I've bought. Saying that it isn't uncomfortable on the face.

As I said I've only used it twice so I'm hoping (from what I've read) the scritch should disappear with use.

I have to say the Maseto's perform better than the Zenith (at the time of writing this).
They create a lather quicker and feel better on the face. The Maseto's are my favourite brushes at the moment and I'm luck to own some high end brushes (Thater, shavemac). You just can't argue with their performance.

So I can't hand on heart say buy one (Just yet). But I don't think you would be disappointed either.

Cheers
Rob

A fantastic analyses Rob and I for one agree with everything you have said.

My question is?
If your love of this has dwindled:
sv shaving brush.png
...........Which now sounds quite apparent!
You know where I am my friend. ;)

Have a lovely weekend,
Wayne. :p

A fantastic analyses Rob and I for one agree with everything you have said.

My question is?
If your love of this has dwindled:
View attachment 28638
...........Which now sounds quite apparent!
You know where I am my friend. ;)

Have a lovely weekend,
Wayne. :p

Thanks Wayne. :)
I'm afraid the love affair with the SV brush is not over and still as strong as the day we first met.
The SV brush is beyond reproach.:cool::p:D

The handle has a decent weight to it and it's ergonomic.
This is my first butterscotch so I have no idea how it compares to any other 'classics' like a Simpsons. Although the photo on my SOTD has got a filter on it, it actually looks pretty close to that in the flesh. I would say it's closer to mustard than butterscotch.

Onto the knot. It's a 26mm with 55mm loft but feels bigger somehow. It's got decent backbone and good flow through. There is some scritch there, the most I've encountered from any brush I've bought. Saying that it isn't uncomfortable on the face.

As I said I've only used it twice so I'm hoping (from what I've read) the scritch will disappear with use.

I have to say the Maseto's perform better than the Zenith (at the time of writing).

Can I say hand on heart buy one? Not just yet but I don't think you would be disappointed if you did buy one either.

Cheers
Rob

Thanks for that Rob..... it's a fantastic first impression review.

I agree with you that with use and time the scritch will dissappear. I had a similar experience with 2 Stirling Finest but they are superb now. The Maseto Finest are still in breaking in period so not as soft yet.... one of them seems to be a shedder too. Even my two Shavemacs are much softer and nicer after 20 shaves or so :)

Thank you so much for the information. ... it's very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom