SOTD: Saturday 26th August-Friday 1st September 2017.

Ikon X3/English Tech with RH Custom Stainless Handle
Zenith 504AKTS
Erasmic Soap
Benjman's Bay Rum
Astral

My first shave with a slant and out came the claret! Weepers all over my neck and a nice nick on my chin. "Sod that!", thought I so a quick swap with the trusty Tech head followed. Much better but it was rather damage limitation by this point. Hey ho.

The Zenith brush was a trifle disappointing too. Looks the part, lovely handle, plenty backbone, holds more than enough lather which it soon whips up but not nearly as soft as I was hoping. Quite a scrubby fellow and not all that much softer than my cheap Omega synthetic which is more of a boar look-a-like. Still, my Simpsons CH2 Synth did cost nearly three times as much but it's by far the superior brush. Perhaps I need to try a Tuxedo as they seem to get rave reviews amongst the synthetic squad? Looking forward to the arrival of my 30mm Maseto 2-band in horn and very much hoping that it will come up trumps.

Alas, I must also change my opinion on the Erasmic soap. Yes, it does smell great and yes, it forms a slick, cushioning lather which is stable but there's something in it that my skin does not seem to like. Come the second pass, my poor old boat-race was red and swollen with that 'prickly heat' feeling. Pity as it ticked so many boxes.

So, new razor head - poo. New brush - poo(ish). New soap - poo too.

End result? Rather poo, actually....

80mftMm.jpg

Pre-Shave: @khun_diddy Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Doug Korn D7V
Lather: Mike's Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Post-Shave: Alum, Stirling Bay Laurel Witch Hazel, Australian Emu Oil​

image.jpg ~SOTD~ September 1st Friday

SE September begins.......

Prep....Shower ~ Olive Oil Soap
Razor....ASR ~ Ever Ready lather catcher 1914 handle
Blade....NOS Ever ready Corrux circa 1950
Soap....Saponifico Varesino ~ Stella Alpina
Brush....Razorock ~ Big Bruce
Post....BBA Post Shave Balm
Scent....Tom Ford ~ Amber Absoloute . Oil from Mr Perfume

A cracking shave from this lather catcher dating from the early 1900s, fitted with a slightly longer and heavier handle from a ER 1914 and using a 1950s ER Corrux blade it gave me an extremely close and smooth shave, very nice indeed. A great razor, blade and soap, what could go wrong? :) finnished off with BBA PSB and an application of Amber Absoloute ......fantastic!

Have a great 1st of September people .........:)

Friday's shave :)

Pre-shave - Warm shower, Wright's Cold Tar Soap face wash, followed by by Myrsol Pre-shave Emulsion.
Razor - ATT SE1
Blade - Kai Captain Titan Mild (Pink) (Day 8)
Soap - Executive Shaving Natural Shave Cream.
Bowl - Little Wren.
Brush - Simpsons Duke 2 Best Badger
Post shave - Myrsol "Lemon" Aftershave and Ibiza-Aloe Aloe Vera Gel.

A lovely 2 pass shave, slight touch-up on chin and BBS. Good to go for the rest of the day. Skin feels soft and comfortable.

Usually I am 3 pass for BBS with the ATT SE1. Saved on Wednesday and Thursday with the Rocnel-SE GEM. I am geting consistently excellent shaves with the Rocnel-SE, only after having rounded off the corners of the blade with a Hone Stone, kindly provided by @Blademonkey. Shaves the day after using a Rocnel are noticeably easier.

Have a great day all. Hopefully when I get to work today the Supply razor I ordered will have arrived :)

All the best,

Chris

SOTD_20170901-1024x683.jpg

• Safety Razor: Above The Tie - SE1
  • Blade: Feather - Super Professional
  • Shaving Brush: Black Ship Grooming Co. - 28mm Whaler - Cutter Color (Synthetic)
  • Shaving Bowl: Black Ship Grooming Co.
  • Shaving Soap: Black Ship Grooming Co. - Peg Leg Nichols
  • After-Shave: Black Ship Grooming Co. - Peg Leg Nichols - ASL

image.jpeg

...my recently aquired inexpensive Yaqi synthetic has been a real surprise. The 24mm knot, has a loft of 45mm and a glue bump of 20mm leaving a free loft of only 25mm. It is more dense than my RR Plissofts with a softer face feel yet more backbone. It's performance hits a sweet spot for me...

Last edited:
DEptember 1st;

IMG_5111.jpg

Alright, alright. I know I broke the rules by not using a SE razor today but having this Rockwell 6S on loan, I was inclined to give it a go...

Rockwell 6S, #3
Gillette Nacet, #1
Fiore & Frutta Almond
26mm 2-band

Started off in the middle of the road with the No. 3 plate. Coupled with a Nacet blade I set the razor aside and tried to lather this soap. It has been well touted here and there, though not a huge number of people have had the fortune of trying it. It has a great marzipan-almond scent. Quite sweet and not a daily driver but ticking boxes for me today. I loaded for maybe 30-40 seconds; I wanted to treat myself with a fair amount of lather and... lather I did not receive. I think I needed to either bloom this, bowl lather with a chunk taken from the tub or use a wetter brush. Either way, I was given some slickness and glide but protection appeared to be lacking somewhat (down to the thinness of lather). (@ajc347 - any suggestions/tips? :) )
I got to work with the razor and initially found I could not feel the blade in any way/shape/form, regardless of angle. I resisted the urge to try and apply more pressure and continued. I removed 90% of stubble and I'm looking a lot cleaner but I don't feel clean-shaven. It'll do for today and tomorrow I suppose before trying out the No. 4 plate next time.
No nicks, weepers or irritation but a slight tingle (sorted out with the infamous BBA PSB) as a result of repeated going-over of areas.
It's safe to say I prefer more blade exposure! Reinforced by today's shave.

Who's next, chaps?

Back
Top Bottom