SotD: Saturday 26th April - Friday 2nd May

IMG_6017.JPG

Another sensational shave with the Le Grelot, tonight with a GEM blade ...

The blade is NOS from Yankerland, courtesy of Mart, the shaving cream a PIF from Exapno, the razor a generous loan from UKRob. If had been PIF'd some aftershave, I would have used that, but tonight is the night for some good old Clubman original.

I said "sensational" ... and it certainly was not without sensation! The blade gap is practically an abyss and it was with both fear and love that my heart fluttered shaving again with this razor. Using the lightest of touch, the razor rasped away at my face, wiping off a couple of day's growth. Once again, once with and once cross was quite sufficient but I made a final with the grain pass just for fun at the end.

Phew! I survivied! No cuts, no weepers and once rinsed off and alum applied, it was quite clear I had just had one excellent shave.

This combination is massively aggressive!

I made a few familiarities with GEM razors after my first shave with this, likening the weight and heft to a Streamline, that wonderful sound and glide from the 1912 and the aggression of the Micromatic OC. This combination is way beyond the Micromatic OC. This combination is almost surgical!

Splash of Clubman for afters and we're ready for dinner ...

That Paul is a great photo ^^^^

Really like the way you have framed it too, is that a inner shadow on the outer black frame? Its very effective.

Haha! Cheers, pal :D

Here's my secret. I used Picasa/Web. I upload my pictures to PicasaWeb from iPhoto and then finish them off in Picasa. In iPhoto, I usually boost the clarity and a little sharpness, dropping the highlights to remove the harsh overhead lights. I should get around to a diffuser, but believe me ... this is a simple arrangement on my desk using the lid of a dark box as the background. I rub out the horizontal line and we're about done. In Picasa, I just add the Museum Matte frame and using Zapfino font add the text.

The picture itself is done with a Canon 300D (yes, retro :D) and either its kit 18-55 lens up at 55mm or a Haminar 35mm. Both are manually focussed and the camera is set on manual, setting the timing to suit. I usually take 3-5 pictures with a slightly slower and a slightly faster timing and 3-5 of various focusses. Picking one from 15 is not a chore ... that's the one I work on.

Here's a wider shot of what I do, on an older picture:

IMG_5267.JPG

In terms of the composition, I use what I've used for shaving, but it really helps when there is something light, something dark and something glass. Here, I also added in a lump of pumice which I picked up in Iceland. The country, not the shop.

I'm set on my SOTD competition snap for this month, but I'll no doubt use this razor again next month and drop in a good pic.

Photography is fun for me and making up these little tableaux is a lot of fun.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Face wash with Pears soap
Cobra Classic / Pro
Morris & Forndran L7
Haslinger Ewe's Milk Shaving Soap)
Proraso Green A/S
Penhaligons Lavandula

Sunday

Evening, gents.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: iKon Bulldog Open
Blade: Feather (2)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Palmolive in a bowl
Aftershave: Old Spice
Cologne: L'Air du Desert Marocain

Now that was better! I find the iKon pretty mild but with the Feather I got an easy, close shave without multiple passes like yesterday.

Monday morning:

Dovo Bismarck 6/8"
Semogue Owners Club Bristle
Boelis Panama, soap
Taylor of Old Bond Street, Eton College ASL
Face Lather
Neil Miller-2.5"Latigo Leather
WTG, XTG & ATG (neck)

Have a great week!

SOTD-2014-04-28-1-Alphanutau3AF0gammarhoalphaphiomicron_zps6a46ce74.jpg

Prep: Hot Water
Soap: Petal Pusher Fancies Neroli
Brush: Simpson 58 in Best
Razor: Puma 69 5/8
Moustache Razor : The Mab Dwarf Razor
AS: Dr Harris Arlington

image.php

image.php

Monday xxviii April, 2014

Prep: Shower, Dove Men+Care Revitalising Face Wash
Pre: Tepid water splash
Brush: Thäter 4125/2
Cream: Musgo Real Lime Basil
Razor: Fatip Grande Anthracite
Blade: Personna Lab Blue #2
Post: Alum, Myrsol Agua de Limón, Trumpers Extract of Limes Skin Food

SotD280414collage_zpsc58bf661.jpg

Result: No Sabbath Day shave so two days growth to remove and the Fatip is the tool for that. Two passes and a little clean up and the job was done.

All the best,

Jon

Greetings

Monday 28th April 2014
Prep: Shower
Razor: Schick I1 Injector
Blade: Gillette Platinum Plus NOS
Brush: Semogue 2014 OC SE mixed
Cream: T & H No. 10
Aftershave: La Toja Balm

A lovely shave, that's the last of my La Toja balm and although it has been very nice it is not outstanding in any way and I will no replace it.

Regards
Dick

DSC05500.JPG

Barlines, get yon picture caldendar entered! Its ethereal qualities are quite superb. Harrygr's is pretty darn good too and Daniele maintains his usual peerless standard.

Anyhoo, on with the show, good luck to you:

EJ DE3D, Permasharp
Hand-carved Beech 24mm 2-band Finest Fan
Wickham Super Smooth English Lavender
Boot's Freshwood AS
Homemade Post Shave Oil
Vintage Shulton Old Spice Cologne

The Old Spice. What can I say? Utterly magnificent merely scratches the surface. How I reek and how I love it!

Bit o' a tune today:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zphAHMPtu4g[/video]

reGcF5M.jpg

MRGLO
Bakelite Slant
Gillette Silver Blue
Vie Long Horse/Badger
Wickham Soap Company Super Smooth Garden Mint
Pinaud VIBR

Good shave from the slant. It mowed down 3 days growth with ease. I think I need to use it a bit more though as I was left with some faint stubble in places that I'm putting down to the unusual angle needed.

Back
Top Bottom